L'Oréal USA

Updated 4 Dec, 2014
Updated 4 Dec, 2014

3.1

Production Engineer Interview

First interview was a long screening with HR, classic questions as tell me about your resume, best project, most difficult decision.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in January 2013.

Three interviews: one with the Bay, one with the Yves Saint Laurent rep, and another with the Bay counter manager.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think YSL is all about? What sets us apart?   View Answer
    Negotiated salary

Summer Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

Submitted an application online which was pretty thorough. Then I had a phone interview with mostly behavioral questions, and a few on how to increase profitability. Nothing too difficult. Over 500 people apply and only 20 made it to the final round, so remember to show how much you want to work for them. The final round of interviews is in their New York office and the whole event is called "A Taste Of L'Oreal." You have to get into teams and work on a case study with four questions and present it to the l'oreal team. While the questions itself weren't that difficult (profit margin, break-even, cost analysis etc. Know your excel!!), there was EXTREME time pressure, and having to work in teams and divide up work evenly is stressful. Don't take over the whole project, make sure to integrate everyone.
    Then, there is a 2 on 1 interview. Again, normal behavioral stuff, a few cost analysis questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you decrease the costs of (random L'Oreal product)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

The process began with an online application, deadline end of October. I received an email probably less than a week later, setting up a phone screen. The phone screen was the next week and just a few days later I was emailed and invited to the the "Taste of L'Oreal" interview event.
    The Taste of Finance interview event was a 1 1/2 day even for a small group of candidates. We were introduced to various employees of the company, in both finance departments and from the HR team. Many had been with the company 10+ years, some were in their MDP program.
    The "interview" part consisted of a group case study, a presentation, and an individual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a situation where you saw room for an improvement and implemented the change; Not necessarily a hard question to answer, but I was asked quite a few follow-ups on it and asked to speak further about certain points I wasn't as prepared for.   Answer Question
    no negotiation for an internship

Intern Interview

The process begins early in the fall of junior year. Many steps to the process and lots of hoops to jump, as it is very competitive. Initial application consists of cover letter plus a series of essays. The next round is a phone interview. Then Taste of L'Oreal weekend in NYC, which is a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Taste of L'Oreal was definitely the most difficult step in general. They have a day of "case" interview where they observe you very closely in a group. Important to be the right amount of involved and to be a good team player, not overbearing.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L'Oréal USA.

The interview process was a 10-15 minute presentation on previous achievements, academic and/or work related. Afterward, there was a panel of about 4 members who asked behavioral questions. The questions were not too hard, mainly asking about my previous work experience. One of the panel members were very interested in one of my previous internships and asked very specific details based on the results of my project there. So be sure to know your resume and remember key facts from the past.

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

Applied early October, was notified of my decision on Dec. 1

First Round: Phone screen with a Finance Manager over the phone. 30 minutes of basically behavioral questions, resume walk-through, why L'Oreal, why Corporate Finance over Banking/S&T.

Final Round: Two weeks after the phone screen, was invited to fly out to New York for Taste of L'Oreal. First day was purely networking and getting to know the company. Ate at a very nice restaurant with an open bar. People were extremely friendly, genuine, and outgoing. The next day, you start very early in the morning. After breakfast, there are some speakers who speak about Finance at L'Oreal and the different sectors (Brand Finance, Operations Finance, etc.).

After the speakers, you get assigned into groups and work on a case with your team members. During this case, there are L'Oreal employees staring at you. This was a bit odd/uncomfortable at first, but as you continue to work on the case, you gradually forget about them. They have these people study you to make sure you're a good fit for L'Oreal. They emphasize fit a lot.

After the case, you have interviews. It was a 1 on 2 interview. The two people I interviewed with were a Financial Manager and a HR Representative. Majority of the questions were behavioral, but there were also case questions to see how you think.

Finally, you have to present the case to a panel of L'Oreal employees with your teammates. They emphasize how well you worked with your teammates and who took on leadership in the team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about trying to cut costs on a L'Oreal Product?   Answer Question
    • A product is about to launch in 1 month after years of work. A marketer comes up to you and says you must delay the launch for a modification in the label. The modification will cost $1,000,000. What do you do?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

1. Phone Screening: asked about resume, strengths and weaknesses, 1 technical finance question
    2. 2 Day process - Dinner, Interview & Case Study: Dinner with HR and other applicants, finance/accounting case study with group then presented to panel of people, lastly had 2 on 1 interview.

The best interview experience I have had, allowed you to truly get a feel for what the corporation is about and see their corporate culture. It also allowed the applicant to see if we would like being a finance intern (with case studies and interaction) and allowed L'Oreal to see if we would be a good fit for their organization.

Interview Questions
    • Finance related questions were more difficult then behavioral. Overall interview was very conversational and welcoming.   Answer Question
    Got offer a few days later!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

Due to the fact that I was not from a target school, I applied online for the Finance Internship position. After going through my application, I was contacted by L'Oreal to set up a phone interview. After passing the phone interview (or if you are from a target school the in person interviews), the top applicants for the position were invited to New York for the Taste of L'Oreal Finance Event. At this event, there were two series of interviews. There was a group case interview, checking how you work in groups, and then a two on one interview with a Human Resources Manager and then a Finance Professional from within the company. Overall, this was a fantastic interview process, L'Oreal made the Taste of Finance event very fun for participants and made employees accessible to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • The business case was the most nerve wracking part of the process. In the group case, you are provided with a group of scenarios and are given a time limit to come up with your answers. Overall, the questions were not very hard but it was to see how students worked in teams.   View Answer
    It was an internship, so the salary was non-negotiable.

Marketing Interview

The process was not stressful at all and asked questions that established your knowledge of marketing while also being geared towards finding out if you are the right fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • In the first round, none of the questions were especially difficult. They ask what motivates you? So just be sure to be very genuine.   Answer Question