KPMG US Associate Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr, 2015

2.9

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

On campus interview
Two interviewers
Got the interview even though I was not in accounting

when asked if i was interested in accounting i said "if you want me to be"

i was young and desperate for the job

needless to say i didnt get it

the women were lovely and great conversationalists

great experience

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an accountant   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG US

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US (Toronto, ON) in October 2009.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews to receive an offer in Transactions & Restructuring part of the Advisory business. First round of regular interview on why would you join, etc. Second round was a technical, 3 hour long case. Third round was to interview with department leaders and was more confirmatory and introductory in nature.

Interview Questions

• describe exactly what the group does and what would you do in their shoes?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

30 -min face to face interview with the Director of the Advisory Services. On Campus interview. A very informal setting, relaxed and comfortable. They just wanted to know more about me and why I chose to apply and how this position could help me to advance in my career. They told a lot about the position as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and why I'm interested in this role   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

A recruiter reached out. We talked within the week and shortly after filling out KPMG's online app, I received an automated email about how they are no longer considering me as a candidate. I wish this was the end of my experience but weeks later, the recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview with someone from the team. I was told to ignore the rejection email.

After coordinating a date and time in the interviewer's mornings-only schedule, I was sent a confirmation email for the phone interview. Aside from never receiving a call from the interviewer on that date, there was neither a notification of a cancellation/rescheduling nor any acknowledgement as to what happened. Reassessing my career goals, I decided to discontinue the process.

In retrospect, it's rather eye opening. Having completed at least 100 interviews, this was indubitably the most disorganized and disappointing recruitment process I have been through. Word of advice to HR: get a little more involved.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at KPMG US in February 2015.

Interview

I got an on-campus interview, where you interview with a manager. The night before, you meet a member (possibly more for other teams) of someone you'd be working with. They give you an oversight on the job/company, but also test out your personality. Pretty relaxed, informal environment. Then you do an office visit, do some speed networking with younger associates. You interview with someone higher up on the team, and someone outside the team. Those interviews were also pretty relaxed, a couple formal questions (describe a time when you were in charge of ___ and had to ___). Mostly behavioral at least for advisory. No technical questions. Overall the interviews were easy, they more just got to know you and find out what kind of person you are, what it would be like to work with you, more than what you know. Finally, you get to have dinner with your team and get to know them on a more personal level. I personally loved the interview process. More companies should do this!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were the leader of a project with a tight deadline. Explain what you did to meet that deadline and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

1. On campus info session. Connected with current employers.
    2. Invited to interview social at a local bar. They say it's optional, but it's a must to be considered.
    3. 1st round on campus interview. Went through resume and one case question.
    4. 2nd round in office interview. Entirely behavioral interviews and a presentation.
    5. Invited to interview social at local bar.

Campus requiter was very friendly and responsive.

Interview Questions

• Apparently they weren't supposed to ask case questions, but one of them was "How would you go about doing a mass deployment of Office 365?"   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

I got this interview from a career fair. A senior manager interviewed me. The process was enjoyable. She shared her experience with me first and asked me to tell her about myself. It is important to remember the resume well because my interviewer asked me some questions on it. Moreover, she asked me some questions about teamwork and leadership. All the questions were behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most difficult thing you ever faced.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

I joined KPMG as an experienced professional. My interview process was unusual and didn't follow usual interview procedures. I showed interest in joining the Big 4 and KPMG showed interest back. I went to lunch (wearing jeans) on a Friday with a partner, director and a manager, then a few days later I was hired.

Interview Questions

• My interview was mostly conversation with a discussion of why I wanted to join KPMG - which was the standard name, prestige, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I came in at a higher salary than other experienced associates. But this hurt me in the long run as I didn't get a raise for another year and a half.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US.

Interview

I was granted an interview through the campus career center. I have attended multiple campus events hosted by KPMG and find their people to be the most compelling reason to seek employment at the firm. Everyone is exceedingly nice, welcoming and sincere in their desire to see candidates excel. The day of the interview went very smoothly as I was greeted by a relatively new associate who explained the process and answered any questions. My interviewer was a Manager who was very nice and easy to talk with about my credentials. The thirty minutes allotted for the interview were gone before we knew it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received constructive criticism.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at KPMG US (McLean, VA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the HR for phone screening. Then the head of the team called for phone screening. I was invited for in person interview and met two managers and two directors.

Interview Questions

• Tech Questions about discount rate, interest only bond, principal only bond, CMBS.   Answer Question