KPMG US Advisory Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2014

2.9

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at KPMG US in March 2014.

The hiring process started with an Initial phone interview which I was asked mostly behavioral questions based on my background. After the phone interview I was scheduled to make an appearance on-site to conduct multiple interviews with a manager, senior manager and a director. Most of the questions asked on-site were also behavioral questions regarding why I wanted to work for KPMG and how my skills aligned with what the job required. Overall I thought the interview process wasn't too difficult. Most of the steps though out this process were very standard in terms of a typical interview at any other company.

Interview Questions
  • Most of the questions were very standard behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG US

Associate, Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at KPMG US in March 2013.

Positives: KPMG has an array of extremely professional, personable and level-headed people. On top of this, I respect the work of the advisory group I was interviewing with. This was all very refreshing and exciting to be around during the interview process itself. The questions I was asked were all experience-related and personality-based. Overall, I enjoyed the people I met and the experience very much.

Negatives: The one thing I thought was awful was the on-boarding and follow-up process of the interview. After two phone interviews that went well, I had to reach out to the "experienced-hire" recruiter myself to check and see when I would receive flight information and booking details for the in-person interviews. There was so much of a delay that I had to book a flight last-minute on a connecting flight that got in to the city I was interviewing in at such a terrible hour. After the interview, I again had to reach myself to see whether I got the job or not. It turns out, I did which was exciting! However, the unprofessional manner of the on-boarding and follow-up seriously slashed the legitimacy of the company for me. I think this something that is definitely fixable and I hope to see changed if I ever interview with the company again.

Overall, not a bad experience at all. The company is great. I got the offer and I turned it down because I would like to have more experience in my current industry before pursuing an advisory-type role.

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at KPMG US in November 2011.

The recruiters are great at keeping in contact with you throughout the process but it takes a LONG time. Even after a job offer is extended to you make sure all your ducks are in a row before you give notice to your current employer. Things can get pushed out depending on when they need you.

Interview Questions
    • What technical experience do you have that would best serve our clients needs?   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation. I tried and got shot down. Ultimately it was more than I was currently making so I accepted. But substantial raises are hard to come by so knowing that now I wish I had tried harder.

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at KPMG US in January 2014.

I went in for one interview. It was with two different employees, one was a director and the other was a managing director. There was a group of 4 people from my college who all interviewed the same day. Each interview was about a half hour, back to back. Got an email two weeks later that I unfortunately I would not be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to talk about a paper I had written in school; hadn't written a paper in over a year so had to wrack my brain.   Answer Question

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KPMG US in March 2014.

Interviewed on campus, was invited to the inside look program in Houston. Flew down the day of and it started with a meet and greet reception the first night. Next day was spent at the office and every candidate had 2 interviews. Went out to lunch afterwards and then to the airport to go home

Interview Questions
    • If I was to talk to your friends and co-workers, what would they say your weaknesses are?   Answer Question

Advisory Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at KPMG US in May 2013.

I was recruited out of school. It was the most straight forward process ever. They just ask you to sign up, come ot the office, and interview with two people. The only thing that did not work well was that they have a very extensive background check. They found an offense on my record that was a civil ordanance; this was a month before I started. They made me explain the offence and then was told that I could possibly lose my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to deal with a teammate that was not doing his job   Answer Question

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at KPMG US in October 2010.

I was hired through campus hiring. This consisted of the following steps
    1. Submitting Resume for On Campus Interview
    2. First round of interviews On Campus with a partner
    3. Invitation for Office interviews.
    4. Pre-interview dinner with partners and managers
    5. 3-4 Office interviews with Partners and Managers
    6. Wait until you hear the word!

Interview Questions
    • The interviews are almost completely behavioral, and very basic business interview questions. They mostly wanted to see if I was generally competent/intelligent, and pleasant to be around.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. All new hires came in on the same salary.

Advisory Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at KPMG US.

Interviewed with the Federal Practice. I interviewed with HR staff and then senior management. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were straightforward. I was mostly asked questions about my understanding of the industry. No case studies, etc., they were more interested in my background and my ability to contribute to the work that they were currently doing. Some behavioral questions - greatest strength, how do you handle a difficult client, etc.

Interview Questions
    Tiny bit of room for negotiation, but don't make ridiculous demands, as you typically need KPMG more than they need you.

Advisory Associate Interview

First contacted by campus recruiter. Following those conversations, a 1 hour phone interview with a Manager. Didn't hear anything for 2 weeks, then was invited to an office interview. The visit lasted for the morning. 3 interview - 2 directors and 1 managing director, each about 1/2 hour, followed by lunch with staff.

Advisory Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at KPMG US.

There were 2 rounds for hiring process. The 1st round interview was short 30 minute interview. The questions were mostly behavioral and asked questions about my experiences on my resume. Before the interview, there was pre-interview session at a local restaurant/ bar. I really disliked it because it was very unorganized and it was very hard to find your interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • If you are asked to improve efficiency of a department, what steps would take?   Answer Question

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!