K. Hovnanian Homes

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

3.1

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Red Bank, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Red Bank, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes in October 2014.

My first contact was a phone interview which lasted approximately 45 minutes. It consisted of all the typical interview questions i.e. what is your greatest strength and weakness (really). This appeared to go smoothly although most of the questions were rather canned. The next step was a battery of psychological, background, and skill tests. This testing took upwards of six hours to complete. I can only hope they were selective to whom they sent this battery...because it was time consuming and although I was extremely experienced with the software the tests were not user friendly. I then had been told I would receive a call Monday of the following week. I never heard from them. Not even the courtesy of a return phone call to my inquiry. This is not a very professional organization. A week letter, I received a form email. I was warned by a previous employee about their corporate ethos. I should have listened and not wasted my time.

Interview Questions
    • A very telling question..."How would you handle an angry homeowner?" I guess really it depend on why they were angry....I can only imagine.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes.

I applied online, which included completing an online skills test of sorts. A few days later, I received a call from a recruiting manager, and then went into Red Bank HQ to meet with the recruiting manager. Then I had a second interview with the HR managers at the office where I'd be based. I went back one more time to meet with the VP of HR; the VP had been unavailable the day I met with the managers, otherwise I would not have had to come back.

I received an offer the afternoon after my meeting with the VP, but the company knew I was sitting on an offer from another company; I don't know that they usually make offers so quickly. After I got the written offer, I had to complete a paper application (which seemed redundant, after completing an online application), and the company ran a background check on me and I had to go for a drug test. There seemed to be a disconnect between the time I submitted all of my paperwork and when I was starting, nobody from the company really remained in contact with me to keep me aware of how things were moving (like that the background check was complete and I was clear to start, I had to follow up and make sure of these things), which felt strange and made me somewhat insecure about leaving my current job for a new job.

I did not negotiate. I had another offer from another company at the same time, I told them what the other company had offered me and what I wanted, and they gave me what I wanted.

Architectural Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes in November 2013.

Applied online. Telephone Interview was good. Asked to to completed the extended form after the interview. But after that I did not hear back anything from them.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes.

The entire process took about a month and a half.

Very positive experience. Consisted of phone interview, in-person interview, and written assignment.

Temporary Estimator Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes.

Fairly simple interview, basic straight forward questions. They do a extensive background and previous employers check. Mostly just talk about resume and goals. They mostly just wanted to know how quickly and open I am to learning and listening to supervisors. I had this as a full time summer internship between college semesters.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes in January 2012.

Was Contacted by a Reruiter looking for Sales people for Cleveland Division of K. Hovnanian. Had a short phone interview with recruiter to screen for qualified candidates. Was given a MS Word & Excel skills test online, and a personality test also online. Both tests went well and that the Division Sales Manager wanted to meet me for an interview. One on one interview was pretty inclusive. Lots of questions on motivation, etc. several "tell me a time you turned a negative into a positive" type questions. Lasted about one hour. Next step was attendence at "industry night". Really was a three hour pitch on why we should want to work there with a few sales role playing scenerios and sell me this ball type stuff thrown in.

Positives were the division President, VP, and Marketing, Sales and Production Managers were all in attendence. Negatives were of the 15 people there, not one of us was aware this was going to be a three hour event, and it was obvious the Sales Manager had already decided who they wanted to hire. Didn't even attempt to conceal their love or contempt for those in attendence. I would bet that the 4 people in that room that I would have hired didn't get an offer, ok, maybe 3 out of 4. That being said, I would have accepted an offer had one been extended. Overall, it seems like they have their act together

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather be looked up to by your peers or be the top sales producer?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes in June 2010.

I first applied online through the K Hovnanian website. About three weeks later I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was about 45minute long and just asked a bunch of basic interview questions and also asked me to walk through my resume and tell him about my experiences. Got asked about who is your best friend and why? What three words would your friends use to describe you? Etc….I then got a phone call to schedule an in person interview for the following week. I first spoke to the division president. He basically told me all about the company for an hour. Then I spoke with the Marketing Director for another hour. She asked me a bunch of behavioral & situational type questions like “what did you do in the situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome, what could you have done better”. I was then told I would receive another phone call if I get asked back for a 3rd interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what a typical day was for you in High School?   View Answer
    • Describe a time you did something wrong, how did you handle it and what could you of done differently?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at K. Hovnanian Homes in June 2010.

not much to it filled out app online and waited and waited. interview was pretty easy but with a panel of 3 felt like I was under the gun.

wasnt any