Johnson Controls Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep, 2014
Updated 25 Sep, 2014

2.9

Systems Designer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Meet the engineering team manager, discussed who I am, etc. Then contract is proposed by HR.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation, it's based on company scale

HFM Lead Interview

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Total 3 phone and 3 on site interviews
    I am not satisfied by the final assumptions they made on my behalf

The position label should be HFM analyst and not HFM Lead Architect

Software Engineer Interview

Interview process is quick,
    1 round - Technical (easy, just to verify you eligible )
    2 round - Technical (average, focus on JD)
    3 round - Technical (average, mostly about performance, security)
    4 round - Technical (focus on architecture , design pattern)

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

The hiring and interview process went well. I had a 20 minute interview in person with two supervisors. Johnson Controls is very eager to continue to bring in new talent from College at all ages. If you are thinking about applying for a position, know that once you are brought onto Johnson Controls, you are golden. Two months in I was already meeting with my recruiter talking about my plans for the following year and where I would like to be in the company.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Straight forward and easy, not complicated. Final decision made by the senior management, HR advices only. Customer focus and sales is highly appreciated as a skill.
    Recruiters are very professional. They are former headhunters, know their job very well.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you thing Johnson Controls would still exist in 30 years?   Answer Question
    Straight forward, open to discuss on a lot

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

It took almost 3 months for 2nd interview (F2F) after 1st phone conference interview, however, the interviewer is the same hiring manager and the conversation is almost 70% similarity for both interview session. And yet, never revert / confirm with candidate of the application status even committed to revert after 3 weeks...
    Candidate need to have closure follow-up with HR personnel & the hiring manager on next step / status
    Inefficiency for recruiting talent candidate, doubt of the interest and seriousness in hiring Senior Management candidate in this case

Talent Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Hiring manager called to interview. I was then asked to visit the company HQ to be interviewed by 4 managers, separately. I emailed them twice to ask about their decision but I never heard from them. I think its quite unprofessional for them to invite me over to their office and then not even bother to notify me of their decision. Shows what kind of a company they are.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section).

I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2014.

-> I got a call through "Concord HR Solution" for Android/Java Developer.
    -> First round was written test which was supposed to be on Java( As I got a call for Java), But they have only one type of question paper( which was on C) regardless of your profile.
    -> Any way That written test consist of 1 programming question
     ( " Write a program to find difference between two large integers which are given in String as
           String a = "9456738572365648932758346782759273576"
           String b = "56736823748726353476582734827356545368752365"
           and you have to find c = a-b )
    8 objective question based on pointers
    and 4 subjective questions.

Interview Questions
    • They should prepare different question papers for based on Profile(Java or C)   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2014.

I was contacted by an HR representative approximately 5 days after I applied for the position through the company website. I was then scheduled for a phone screen. The phone screen lasted for approximately 15 minutes and mainly consisted of behavioral questions as well as my skills and experience relevant to the position.

Early the following week I was contacted by an engineering manager to schedule a phone interview for that same week. The phone interview lasted for approximately half an hour. The manager asked technical and career-oriented questions. What is your experience with functional/regression testing? Give me an example. How would you respond to criticism from a senior engineer?

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about testing a device? Walk me through the process.   Answer Question

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!