J. Crew

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details Group interview with about 10 people. Fun experience with style guide and water provided. Conversational setting, speak when you wanted to. Lots of standard questions like what was a tricky customer service situation you had to deal with, why do you want to work at j crew etc

Very Easy Interview

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details Walked in, talked to the manager - she scheduled me for an interview the next day. We talked for about ten minutes outside of the store and as a big fan of J.Crew, I just went on and on about what I loved about the company (I name-dropped collaborations I loved, including the Liberty Floral collection). She said she was very impressed with me, but would have to go through a second interview as it was protocol. However, I got a call within the next week offering me a position.

Interview Question – Why J.Crew?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated starting salary (I started higher up because of previous experience)

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details Approached a manager in store and was given an application to fill out. Contacted within two days to attend a group interview. Interview was very casual, with around 10 people.

Interview Question – Mostly basic questions about customer experience and personal fashion styles   Answer Question

Vaughan, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details Lots of questions about customer service and how you would treat a customer.
Went on about discounts and dress code

Interview Question – When have you made a mistake at work?   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details Sales Associates and Support were all put in the same room and same situation when it came to the group interview. There were originally supposed to be 10 of us, but only 9 showed up. The interviewers were kind enough to wait a few minutes for the tardy, but once it past 5 minutes, they began the interview. Questions included (but weren't limited to):

- Why J Crew?
- What is a trait that defines great customer service?
- Tell us about a situation where you had to exceed your job description.
- Think Quick: They told us a word and we had to say the first thing that came to mind.

Note: The interviews themselves were rather easygoing. The interviewers were calm and fun, and they made us feel more at ease with each other.

Interview Question – The most difficult question would have to be regarding customer service experience (ideally in the retail world) and since I had no prior experience, I had to make do with a slightly modified version of a situation to match what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't interested in negotiation, although it didn't seem negotiable. I was called 2 weeks after the interview and told that I was undergoing a background check and I was currently 'conditionally accepted'. I was never told I was 'fully accepted', but I assume I am now since I have an employee number, etc.

J Crew Sales Interview

J Crew Sales
Edmonton, AB

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2012.

Interview Details It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Interview Question – What would ask J.Crew a company ?   Answer Question

Merchadise Processor Interview

Merchadise Processor

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in July 2013.

Interview Details Put in an online application, received a phone call the next day to schedule an interview. Scheduled interview for 20 days later. Interview is a one on one interview process where they ask you questions about previous work experience and responsibilities, your personality, and what kind a person you would want to work for.

Interview Question – none of the questions were difficult, it was just a basic assessment of your work ethic, history, and personality.   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied through the store and filled out the paper application. After a week I received a call to have an interview in the store. The interview was with one of the store managers and it was very casual and informal. Some of the questions that were asked were: how would describe Jcrews style? what stores do you buy your clothes at? who would you say Jcrews competitors are? where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Question – The questions were very straight forward and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My work load for school became to heavy.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied this position on their hiring system, and it took me a while to finish all the process. Next day, I got a call to have my first interview, and during the interview, I filled up the application form and asked many questions about my previous working experiences, what did I learn, and why I left...etc., and the most related questions are about why choose J.Crew. After a few days, they called me to set up the second interview with another supervisor, he asked me my personal style, what are my favorite shops, and what do you think of J.Crew...etc. The result came out for a long time, it took about 2 weeks to process and check background.

Interview Question – If your friends don't know J.Crew, how would you introduce the brand to them? What is different between J.Crew and other competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Working schedule

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details I saw a posting outside of a new J. Crew store to open in my city and sent in a resume to the email address. I was contacted back within a few days to schedule an interview. I went in for an interview that was mostly fit--asked me about who I was, what my interests were, why J. Crew, what my favorite style was, what was my personal style, my greatest strengths and weaknesses, all pretty straightforward and what you would expect from a reasonable fit interview. My employer called me back within a few days to give me the offer but said that the background check needed to formally go through before he could extend the official offer. The background check came back clean, I was extended the offer, and went to training and work fairly shortly afterwards.

Interview Question – How would you describe your own fashion style?   Answer Question

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!