J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated 8 Oct, 2014
Updated 8 Oct, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Walked in, talked to the manager - she scheduled me for an interview the next day. We talked for about ten minutes outside of the store and as a big fan of J.Crew, I just went on and on about what I loved about the company (I name-dropped collaborations I loved, including the Liberty Floral collection). She said she was very impressed with me, but would have to go through a second interview as it was protocol. However, I got a call within the next week offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated starting salary (I started higher up because of previous experience)

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Approached a manager in store and was given an application to fill out. Contacted within two days to attend a group interview. Interview was very casual, with around 10 people.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly basic questions about customer experience and personal fashion styles   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Group interview with about 10 people. Fun experience with style guide and water provided. Conversational setting, speak when you wanted to. Lots of standard questions like what was a tricky customer service situation you had to deal with, why do you want to work at j crew etc

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Sales Associates and Support were all put in the same room and same situation when it came to the group interview. There were originally supposed to be 10 of us, but only 9 showed up. The interviewers were kind enough to wait a few minutes for the tardy, but once it past 5 minutes, they began the interview. Questions included (but weren't limited to):

- Why J Crew?
    - What is a trait that defines great customer service?
    - Tell us about a situation where you had to exceed your job description.
    - Think Quick: They told us a word and we had to say the first thing that came to mind.

Note: The interviews themselves were rather easygoing. The interviewers were calm and fun, and they made us feel more at ease with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question would have to be regarding customer service experience (ideally in the retail world) and since I had no prior experience, I had to make do with a slightly modified version of a situation to match what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    I wasn't interested in negotiation, although it didn't seem negotiable. I was called 2 weeks after the interview and told that I was undergoing a background check and I was currently 'conditionally accepted'. I was never told I was 'fully accepted', but I assume I am now since I have an employee number, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Lots of questions about customer service and how you would treat a customer.
    Went on about discounts and dress code

J Crew Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Crew in May 2012.

It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I went into a local store one day and asked the manager if I could fill out a job application. The application is very typical: education level, previous employment, background, etc. Then I was told that someone would get in touch with me the following week to set up an interview. That never happened. So I called the manager, and I set up an interview with the hiring manager. The interview was very informal. I wore business casual attire (all J. Crew) and answered very typical interview questions: how would I deal with an angry client, how would I handle a confrontation with a coworker, etc. I was told to expect a call within the week informing me of their decision, but one never came. I called the manager again. She was very nice, but told me no decision has been made. She called the next day informing me that I had the job. I was very proactive during this process: I called the manager to set up the interview and then again to find out my status. I believe this helped me land the job. When I worked there, we had a lot of people come in and fill out applications, so I think it would be impossible to give them all interviews. So I think only the proactive applicants were able to land interviews and receive a job offer.

Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at J. Crew.

Got in through executive search firm. After 2 rounds of interviews, including one with the hiring manager, was told the role was being redefined.

Great atmosphere in the NYC office. Very bright people. Interview with HR more structured, but with hiring manager very conversational and casual. Was not in a typical conference room. We were sitting on couches.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

You have to pick up the application in store and may be asked some questions on the spot. After filling out the application I got a call back about a week later and set up an interview for the next day. Interviewed with manager and it was all very standard, relaxed, and casual. Dress preppy and have a good understanding of the brand.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"
      "What would you do if you saw someone stealing?"
        Answer Question

Declined because I was offer a better paying position somewhere else.

Customer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

Applied online. Took an assessment online and got an email asking to call in for a phone screen interview with recruiter. Recruiter was fast paced. Haven't received a job offer yet, Will update with results.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of our fashion design?   View Answer