J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated 8 Apr, 2015
Updated 8 Apr, 2015

2.3

Associate Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew (Toronto, ON).

Interview

Received a phone call for interview, had the interview with the HR Recruiter, Area and Regional Manager, and had an offer very shortly after. The interview wasn't strange or in-depth, but the HR Recruiter was very focused and asked questions regarding my life rather than experience. They are interested in finding the right person (when it comes to the US).

Interview Questions

• What are the most important qualities that a manager can have?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Walked in, talked to the manager - she scheduled me for an interview the next day. We talked for about ten minutes outside of the store and as a big fan of J.Crew, I just went on and on about what I loved about the company (I name-dropped collaborations I loved, including the Liberty Floral collection). She said she was very impressed with me, but would have to go through a second interview as it was protocol. However, I got a call within the next week offering me a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated starting salary (I started higher up because of previous experience)

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Approached a manager in store and was given an application to fill out. Contacted within two days to attend a group interview. Interview was very casual, with around 10 people.

Interview Questions

• Mostly basic questions about customer experience and personal fashion styles   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (Toronto, ON) in September 2012.

Interview

Group interview with about 10 people. Fun experience with style guide and water provided. Conversational setting, speak when you wanted to. Lots of standard questions like what was a tricky customer service situation you had to deal with, why do you want to work at j crew etc

Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew (Toronto, ON) in September 2012.

Interview

Sales Associates and Support were all put in the same room and same situation when it came to the group interview. There were originally supposed to be 10 of us, but only 9 showed up. The interviewers were kind enough to wait a few minutes for the tardy, but once it past 5 minutes, they began the interview. Questions included (but weren't limited to):

- Why J Crew?
    - What is a trait that defines great customer service?
    - Tell us about a situation where you had to exceed your job description.
    - Think Quick: They told us a word and we had to say the first thing that came to mind.

Note: The interviews themselves were rather easygoing. The interviewers were calm and fun, and they made us feel more at ease with each other.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question would have to be regarding customer service experience (ideally in the retail world) and since I had no prior experience, I had to make do with a slightly modified version of a situation to match what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't interested in negotiation, although it didn't seem negotiable. I was called 2 weeks after the interview and told that I was undergoing a background check and I was currently 'conditionally accepted'. I was never told I was 'fully accepted', but I assume I am now since I have an employee number, etc.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew (Vaughan, ON) in September 2012.

Interview

Lots of questions about customer service and how you would treat a customer.
    Went on about discounts and dress code

J Crew Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Crew (Edmonton, AB) in May 2012.

Interview

It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

It was a group interview, lots of people. You really had to make sure you stood out from the group. Made weeding out less friendly, quiet people easy. A little weird only because the interview was around other customers.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Applied for new store open through job posting online. Had in-person interview 2 weeks after applying with their Store Director. Interview lasted about 30 minutes and was, he claims rarely, offered a position when the interview concluded.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in retail? When have you exhibited exemplary customer service? What is the best customer service experience you've ever had? What was the worse?   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Interview

The process began with a phone interview from HR Corporate, followed by 2 separate interviews, one with the new store director and one with the store director at a different location. Did not interview with the District Manager, which I expected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was more conversational than the standard interview questions   Answer Question