J. Crew

Updated 19 Jan, 2015

2.3

Associate Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Received a phone call for interview, had the interview with the HR Recruiter, Area and Regional Manager, and had an offer very shortly after. The interview wasn't strange or in-depth, but the HR Recruiter was very focused and asked questions regarding my life rather than experience. They are interested in finding the right person (when it comes to the US).

Interview Questions
    • What are the most important qualities that a manager can have?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Walked in, talked to the manager - she scheduled me for an interview the next day. We talked for about ten minutes outside of the store and as a big fan of J.Crew, I just went on and on about what I loved about the company (I name-dropped collaborations I loved, including the Liberty Floral collection). She said she was very impressed with me, but would have to go through a second interview as it was protocol. However, I got a call within the next week offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated starting salary (I started higher up because of previous experience)

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Approached a manager in store and was given an application to fill out. Contacted within two days to attend a group interview. Interview was very casual, with around 10 people.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly basic questions about customer experience and personal fashion styles   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Group interview with about 10 people. Fun experience with style guide and water provided. Conversational setting, speak when you wanted to. Lots of standard questions like what was a tricky customer service situation you had to deal with, why do you want to work at j crew etc

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Sales Associates and Support were all put in the same room and same situation when it came to the group interview. There were originally supposed to be 10 of us, but only 9 showed up. The interviewers were kind enough to wait a few minutes for the tardy, but once it past 5 minutes, they began the interview. Questions included (but weren't limited to):

- Why J Crew?
    - What is a trait that defines great customer service?
    - Tell us about a situation where you had to exceed your job description.
    - Think Quick: They told us a word and we had to say the first thing that came to mind.

Note: The interviews themselves were rather easygoing. The interviewers were calm and fun, and they made us feel more at ease with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question would have to be regarding customer service experience (ideally in the retail world) and since I had no prior experience, I had to make do with a slightly modified version of a situation to match what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    I wasn't interested in negotiation, although it didn't seem negotiable. I was called 2 weeks after the interview and told that I was undergoing a background check and I was currently 'conditionally accepted'. I was never told I was 'fully accepted', but I assume I am now since I have an employee number, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Lots of questions about customer service and how you would treat a customer.
    Went on about discounts and dress code

J Crew Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Crew in May 2012.

It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Applied on-line, in which I was contacted a week latter by Recruiting. Phone interview was scheduled, and two weeks latter I was scheduled for an in-person interview. However there issues following after meeting with management. I received calls and emails from Recruitment that I was one of the selected candidates to go forward for a final round of interviews. I was constantly stalled as if I were a back-up if the first choice didn't work.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult; I found the "five year question" a bit dated, especially for the position interviewed for.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

It was a two round interview and consisted of mainly what I thought fashion represented, why it is important to me, what I like most about J.Crew's fashion. They also asked if I had any previous customer service experience and about my work hours. Because I was in a different city (applied for a summer job), I had my first interview over the phone. The second interview was in person and both were very casual. For the in person interview we went to the coffee shop of the mall and had it there.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult. Most questions were expected as I said above   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Applied through college career center. The interview we schedules was just a behavioral interview and they said they would discuss and get back to me. It was pretty basic and just discussed about what I liked and what I put on my resume so I would elaborate more on it. They took notes while I talked so they can present it to the technical team later.

Interview Questions
    • What was the toughest decision you had to make recently? What is something recent that has caught your attention in news?   Answer Question