J. Crew

175 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Support
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details Group interview with about 10 people. Fun experience with style guide and water provided. Conversational setting, speak when you wanted to. Lots of standard questions like what was a tricky customer service situation you had to deal with, why do you want to work at j crew etc

Very Easy Interview

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details Walked in, talked to the manager - she scheduled me for an interview the next day. We talked for about ten minutes outside of the store and as a big fan of J.Crew, I just went on and on about what I loved about the company (I name-dropped collaborations I loved, including the Liberty Floral collection). She said she was very impressed with me, but would have to go through a second interview as it was protocol. However, I got a call within the next week offering me a position.

Interview Question – Why J.Crew?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated starting salary (I started higher up because of previous experience)

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details Approached a manager in store and was given an application to fill out. Contacted within two days to attend a group interview. Interview was very casual, with around 10 people.

Interview Question – Mostly basic questions about customer experience and personal fashion styles   Answer Question

Vaughan, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details Lots of questions about customer service and how you would treat a customer.
Went on about discounts and dress code

Interview Question – When have you made a mistake at work?   Answer Question

Sales Support
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details Sales Associates and Support were all put in the same room and same situation when it came to the group interview. There were originally supposed to be 10 of us, but only 9 showed up. The interviewers were kind enough to wait a few minutes for the tardy, but once it past 5 minutes, they began the interview. Questions included (but weren't limited to):

- Why J Crew?
- What is a trait that defines great customer service?
- Tell us about a situation where you had to exceed your job description.
- Think Quick: They told us a word and we had to say the first thing that came to mind.

Note: The interviews themselves were rather easygoing. The interviewers were calm and fun, and they made us feel more at ease with each other.

Interview Question – The most difficult question would have to be regarding customer service experience (ideally in the retail world) and since I had no prior experience, I had to make do with a slightly modified version of a situation to match what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't interested in negotiation, although it didn't seem negotiable. I was called 2 weeks after the interview and told that I was undergoing a background check and I was currently 'conditionally accepted'. I was never told I was 'fully accepted', but I assume I am now since I have an employee number, etc.

J Crew Sales Interview

J Crew Sales
Edmonton, AB

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2012.

Interview Details It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Interview Question – What would ask J.Crew a company ?   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2011.

Interview Details I hit it right on time when they were hiring, but its not always easy to get a job at J.Crew.
Tip : dress the part, do you research, express how much you love the brand !

Interview Question – Why do you think you will do better at J.Crew than past jobs.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details When you apply you have to come to the store, no online applications for sales associates, although managerial positions are online. Once you return to the store and turn it in they run a back round check. I was asked only one question. The whole process took about 8 business days because the back round checks take a few days to a week, mine was the latter.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was happy as is.

Supervisor Interview

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details Interview was good - easy but aimed directly at pulling in the best.

2014 Merchandising Planner Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details Applied online, contacted in about a week had a phone interview

Interview Question – not too difficult, needed to know what the job entailed.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Crew

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Crew interview questions and advice. All 175 interview reviews are posted anonymously by J. Crew employees and interview candidates.