International Paper

59 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineer Interview

Interviewed at International Paper

Interview Details Talked to a representative at my university career fair. The conversation went well and the representative seemed to be interested/impressed. About a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview must also went well as I was asked to attend an on-site interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you needed to make a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Interview Details I learned about International Paper at my college career fair. Within a couple of minutes of talking to the people around the career booth, I was taken to a different room and had an interview with the main guy. It was fairly straight forward with the questions being purely behavioral. Over good experience.

Interview Question – Why would we hire you over other candidates.   Answer Question

Supply Planner Interview

Memphis, TN (US)

I interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Interview Details They will give you a first round interview in your school and if you are good enough they will invite you to on-site interview. It will be about 4 rounds and they take a whole day long. After a week of your interview they will inform you either by phone or email if you get it.

Interview Question – Talk about one situation and you know you can't solve the problem and what did you do/   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really negotiate.

Auditor Interview

Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at International Paper in October 2011.

Interview Details I went through the Company's interview process for upcoming college graduates. I attended the interview dinner the night before and 3 interviews the next day. All of the questions asked were primarily behavioral and about the Company. I found the process to be great overall. I ended up getting an offer from International Paper but had already accepted another one.

Interview Question – Was asked specific questions about the Company.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had already accepted another offer by the time I received the one from IP.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Shelbyville, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

Interview Details A recruiter contacted me and I was going to interview, but then was told the position had been filled. I was later contacted by a different recruiter with the same job specifications. I was then asked if I would be willing to relocate. The recruiter asked questions about dealing with personnel and when I would be available to start. I also had to give three references for him to contact.

The recruiter then passed my info on to the HR manager and set up a 30 to 45 min phone interview for me.

At the end of the phone interview I was told by the HR manager that he would like me to come to the plant the following week.

The interview process was very quick. The managers interviewed me multiple times and I found it very redundant.The Plant Manager asked for a lot of specific details regarding my resume.

I had to go back on the next week for a final interview. The managers I had already interviewed with the previous visit interviewed me again in a panel interview. They asked the same type of questions.

Once this was completed, I had to take a personality assessment. This was about 100 questions. I was given the drug testing at that time and then sent the final offer over email.

Interview Question – It was a lot of the same questions over and over again. You had to know what you were talking about obviously. The plant manager asked for a lot of details on the specifics of my resume. If interviewed by the plant manager, be ready to talk specifics with him.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made a good offer, so I did not counter. However, in retrospect I should have negotiated more vacation time due the nature of the shift work.

Marketing Manager Interview

Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at International Paper in January 2010.

Interview Details Internal promotion. Applied via job applicant software. Hiring manager was known to me. My manager contacted hiring manger and encouraged hiring manger to talk with me. I was one of three candidates.

Interview Question – What is the most creative thing you've ever done (in this business or elsewhere)?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Slight raise. Since this was internal there wasn't much to negotiate.

Transportation Planner Interview

Transportation Planner
Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at International Paper in October 2013.

Interview Details Applied online through career services. Had an on-campus interview with a senior manager. I was then invited to the 2-day blitz event. The first day included: an introduction of senior managers, an IP-campus tour, and hotel mixer. "You could tell at the mixer by the managers approaching you where you would end up if picked!" The second day was a mix of two interviews (panel-style) and a 'survival activity' with a group of other students. In the activity, they just wanted to see how you work in a group. The day concluded with a talk from the HR manager. He informed us that we would hear something either way in two-week.

That was true for some. However, I was contacted an entire month later by email with a denial. You would think that after waiting a month they would at least call seeing that many of those that interviewed with you were offered jobs. Meaning, I was one of a very small few that wasn't offered. I'm ok with that though. Not bitter....but I walked around nearly two days with a misspelled name tag. A call would have been nice!

Interview Question – This was an entry level position but they asked a lot of questions about:
Technical skills, SAP, Route Cause...and etc.
  Answer Question

REACH Engineer Interview

REACH Engineer
Montgomery, AL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Interview Details Met International Paper at a campus career fair. Received an on-campus interview and then an on-site interview.

The on-campus interview was a typical screening interview, mostly behavior focused questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. It was a 1 on 2 interview with the 2 people being from HR. Within a week of that I received an email with 2 dates for onsite interviews.

The on-site interview was awesome. IP goes all out on recruitment events for REACH engineers. It was at a 4 star hotel near one of their paper mills, 3 day event. First day was a "speed networking" activity, dinner, and then a career fair activity with all of the mills represented. The fair was treated just like a career fair and you walk around and have a chance to talk to all of the mills and sell yourself to them. Next day starts with a mill tour and a panel of REACH engineers for asking questions. Next there was interviews, 1 on 1 and 1 on 2. The 1 on 1 is with high management (mill manager) and the 2 on 1 is with HR and a engineering manager or an engineer. There was also a group, team activity involving you and a team trying to figure out a situation. Normally with having to give certain items priority over other items in a gillions island situation. It is done with many people closely watching you. One member of your team is pulled away every so often for a 1 on 1 interview with team and leader questions.

Each meal at the on-site interview you are put with different people from IP so you can meet as many people as possible. Tons of opportunities to ask questions, you'll run out. Really awesome experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, blew my other offers out of the water. Be very open to all mill locations.

REACH Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Interview Details Got recruited through a career fair. Had an on campus interview and was invited to an on site interview. The on site consisted of a ton of networking events, a facility tour, two interviews
(one 1 on 1, one 2 on 1) and a team activity in which recruiters observed how you work on a team. A very exhausting/stressful few days but extremely informative and well put together.

Still waiting to hear back on an offer.

Interview Questions

Machine Operator Interview

Machine Operator

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at International Paper.

Interview Details I was called for an interview after successfully passing a test at the local department of labor. I was ask what department I wanted to work in but was then told that only one department was hiring. I had a great experience with HR and they called me back in two days saying I had the job.

Interview Question – It was over 22 years ago so I can not recall any difficult questions. They were excited with my test scores and seemed really interested in my ability to do a good job.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at International Paper

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Paper interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews are posted anonymously by International Paper employees and interview candidates.