Imperial College London

Updated 18 Nov, 2014
Updated 18 Nov, 2014

2.9

MSC Petroleum Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial College London.

Applied online, got invited to the Open Day which is where everyone gets a short interview. Interview lasted no more than 15mins (one-on-one) and consisted of extremely standard interview questions. There were about 100 students from Universities all over the UK, specially those that focus on Petroleum Geology such as Aberdeen, RHUL, Manchester etc.

The students are split into two groups. First group consists of a select few students (most of whom already have conditional offers before the interviews). These students get a short 10min panel interview where 15-20 industry folks (BP, Shell, BG Group, Centrica etc) ask questions. If successful, they receive a full or partial scholarship.

The second group, i.e the rest of the students, get interviewed by their potential lecturers, one-on-one. There are about 8 lecturers in 8 rooms and you'll get assigned to one randomly earlier in the morning.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you stand out from everyone else here today?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London.

I got two interviews, both by Skype. Nothing technical, they were just looking for an highly motivated candidate with some previous experience which were adaptable to the project. You can find the questions by googling it. The interviewers were super friendly

no negotiation phase.

Research Assistant Interview

I was invited for a 20-minute panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • Would you accept this job if offered? What's your A-Level?   View Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Imperial College London in March 2014.

The key point is to build up your real interest in the position, do the research on the position and project itself.

Regular online application.
    Interview notice after two weeks.
    Two weeks interview preparation time.

20mins presentation on my own work.
    5-10 mins presentation on how do I think I fit the position.

I made this job offer because of the second well-prepared presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Most of questions were based on the nature of the research work.

Any experience of team-work.
      Availability.
      Visa.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation. My first ever job offer, I have been more than grateful.

PhD Student Interview

Application was conducted via an unsolicited email to a potential supervisor. First barrier is usually having a first class degree from a top UK university to be eligible for EPSRC or CASE studentships. Interview dependant on group

Undergraduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London in December 2013.

First apply through UCAS, i think this is the only way you can do it if you just graduated from college. some COURSES might have interviews, like Chemical Engineering, medicine, the others just requires you to do REALLY REALLY WELL in your A level. I applied for Mathematics, and the offer was A*A*AA similarly from Chemical engineering. Make sure you have good predicted grades as well.

PhD Student Interview

Send in CV and cover letter with academic references. Prepare for the interview and read a lot of literature. Answer the questions concisely and to-the-point. Be prepared to be asked about your long-term plans. Be confident and know you stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   View Answer

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student studentship oil/gas numerical modelling Visual C++ rock fracture simulation

total 56 candidates
    final round 6 candidates and there were four interviewers 1 from the company and 3 from the university

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial College London.

Attended a PhD programme studentship interview after application with a personal statement.
    Interview consists a panel of 4 people lasting around 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • Try to be prepared they will challenge you on the knowledge of the field and justify your interests (depends on individual panel really)   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial College London.

CV submission and skype interview