IBM Interview Questions in Houston, TX

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2012.

Interview was thorough, people were deceivingly nice.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations possible since I was local. Out-of-towners can negotiate relocation

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in June 2013.

Two interviews, pretty general about the things you know and have done. Onsite interview with the manager and the entire team. Mostly technical.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2010.

My interview process began with telephone screening interviews, the first with an IBM recruiter; the second with a current consultant. Since I've been consulting for a while, the second call was casual and allowed me to ask most of my questions (not all - be thoughtful and professional). From there, I was invited to an interview day at one of several national locations. About 100 candidates were divided into groups of 6-7 and each group was presented a business case. As we worked on the case, interviewers walked around each table to observe how well we interacted, who took the lead, how we resolved issues/differences of opinion, etc. I can't remember now how much time we were allocated to prepare, but each group had to present their findings to a panel. The key throughout is to actively participate, be calm and confident, and think about what you need to say before you get in the room. Don't be shy during the presentation but don't act like Donald Trump either. I've prepped for case study interviews in the past and can say it helped since I don't have a business degree (although I am ABD on a Ph.D.). Now that I've been with IBM over a year, I will say it is extremely important to work as a team during the group presentation. While some candidates will naturally rise to lead the team, everyone has a contribution, and every consultant should strive to be their client's 'trusted advisor.' Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • The business case posed the question of whether a company should expand into a new, potentially more lucrative area or remain on its current course.   Answer Question
    Since my offer was at the higher end for a band 7, there wasn't much room for negotiation. Unfortunately, we all get the same number of vacation days so that wasn't negotiable either. While it's possible to negotiate to a higher band, it's easier at a lower band to get staffed.

Consultant - Strategy and Change Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in August 2010.

After the initial phone screen with HR, I completed a questionnaire. After that was reviewed, I had a phone screen with a managing consultant and then was invited to Chicago for a case study interview/presentation and 2-3 one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Business case asked for an evaluation of a new opportunity for an established business.   View Answer

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!