Hewlett-Packard

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details I was the principal candidate under consideration. I had worked closely with the hiring manager during my time with an HP partner so we already knew each other well. Second interview was with a local manager who I would have a dotted line relationship with.

My references were checked and interviewed for a substantial amount of time.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Advice: Get what you want right away. Once you're in, you will ind out that there is usually 0 budget for raises.

London, England (UK)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2009.

Interview Details Several Interviews, explained the EDS Way, told about dress code, no drinking at lunch hour, the interviewers were less experienced so the answers to most questions were accepted at face value. Interviewers seemed more interested in the company I left.

Interview Question – The statements about giving all, not clock watching, what to wear, etc. were all unexpected as most of the comments were just common sense for a management position. But the interviewers were at pains to explain that image was made EDS different. They were also interested in how many existing customers I could bring with me. Poach in other words. Wouldn't do this.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I told them what I wanted, they agreed. Should have asked for more, but as it was, I did ask for a big increase. Of course, word on the street is that you wont see an increase for many years, or a bonus, so I made sure to include these in my demands. I am only at EDS for the money, so in a year or two, if they don't deliver, I will leave.

Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in May 2009.

Interview Details Straight forward process, telephone interview and two face to face interviews.

Interview Question – No standout questions   Answer Question

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2009.

Interview Details A number of interviews with HR, line managers and peers

Interview Question – The line of questioning was very standard/generic IT interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The package was inline with the advertised position so there was no negotiation

Plano, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details Just a typical type of interview. Not panel.

Interview Question – They did ask technical questions so be prepared to review their product line in a little more depth.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – typical

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details background work in finding out what dept you are applying to and if you have friends working in the dept. Interviews are usually more of a formality rather than a real interview. The issue is usually on price.

Interview Question – How much do you expect to be paid for your service?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2008.

Interview Details Tough to get noticed by the automated application processor, some managers seemed to have highly coveted positions as they often do not respond quickly. The initial screen process provides feedback of the application quickly, but an actual person is slow to respond to your posting. Best to have your resume walked to a manager if you want to be seen.

Interview Question – What accounts can you bring to the table and please share your formula / process to open a competitors account and dislodge your competition products without getting into a bidding war.   Answer Question

Istanbul (Turkey)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2011.

Interview Details I decided to apply for a Pre-Sales job post I have seen on the company web page. As I was acquainted with one of the local HR managers in the company, I decided to send her a message from LinkedIn. She responded immediately, asking me to apply directly from the official company site and send my resume to herself and another local HR manager.
A week later, I received a call from the HR to arrange for an interview with HP Procurve regional manager, yet not about the position I applied for, but for a more sales oriented one. I agreed to meet anyway, since even if I was displeased about the position offer and decided not to move on, it is always good to add someone to your network. We set the interview date a week later, in HP Headquarters. The interview went very positive. The country manager was the only person present in the interview. We discussed the offered position's responsibilities, what chances it offers, how my career has developed, how I can contribute to HP Procurve's targets, and son on. Finally, the country manager suggested that I take a few days' time to decide on whether I would like to move to a direct sales position and inform him accordingly.
After 3-4 days, I called him back and told that I was reluctant to move to a direct sales position.

Interview Question – Can you work well under pressure of a quarterly quota?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Although, I had applied for a more technical position, the interview was about an account manager position. After the first meeting and careful rethinking, I decided I didn't want to move to a direct sales related position at that moment. So I decided not to waste any more of my time and the interviewer's time. Hence, I informed the country manager and company HR of my decision. We thanked each other at the end.

Account Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2009.

Interview Details I eventually was hired after working there before and terminated due to recession. One manager did not want me back. His manager above him hired anyway.

Interview Questions

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2010.

Interview Details Applied online after which had 3 separate interviews

1. HR and standard background checks and motivations for the application
2. Hiring Managers panel interview, in depth work experience and background questions
3. Last Minute Presentation Request with Panel interview.

Negotiation Details – Package received was the agreed structure, HR tried to negotiate lower but with Hiring managers support eventually got the deal I wanted.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.