HSBC Holdings

Updated 23 Jan, 2015
Updated 23 Jan, 2015

2.9

Retail Banking Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

This was my first telephone interview with HSBC, it materialized after having passed the numerical reasoning and the logic test. They came back to me rather quickly after having done the online tests which is a massive bonus, some companies don't get back to you for a good 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • It is a very easy and straightforward interview, they ask you about your motivations, what difficulties you are expecting, and what you can bring to the table   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

First apply through the online application system, then you will receive link in the email for online aptitude test, after passing the test you will be available to schedule phone interview, the final round of interview is in local assessment center

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

2 interviews, 1 with the team member and another one with the management + HR. The first one mainly assessing if you're a good fit for the team. The second one is more about career aspirations and administrative stuff.

Interview Questions
    • How many cows are there in New Zealand?   View Answer

Commercial Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HSBC Holdings in October 2011.

Online application, followed by phone interview, and a panel interview. They're looking for candidates with sales experience as you will be responsible to meet with clients and land deals.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I applied online – interviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2009.

Numerical and verbal reasoning online tests, phone interview, assessment day

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Customer Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2009.

Applied online and received a callback approximately three weeks later. Interviewed by the HR manager, and two HSBC representatives. Almost all questions were behavioural questions with some general interview questions thrown in. I thought the interview went well, felt very confident but did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake on the job.   Answer Question

Spring Insight Interview

I applied online for the Spring Insight Programme at HSBC in November. The process was quite simple.There was no cover letter, although there were several questions which in essence acted as a cover letter because they asked about things you would typically put in your CL. I heard back from them in the beginning of January and was invited to an interview. The interview itself was pretty easy and was entirely competency-based. The interview was the final round of the application process.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions whatsoever. As I said, the interview was 100% competency-based.   Answer Question

Spring Insight IB Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

1. Online stage: basic personal info, CV/CL, competency questions - pretty same as on telephone interview so will be stated furter
    2. Online numerical/reasoning tests
    3. Telephone interview (20-30 min): 4-5 questions with 5 min for every answer. Questions: 1) Tell us about a time when you invited or encouraged others to offer a different perspective or opinion in order to deliver a better solution. 2) Please explain what self-development opportunities you've taken advantage of during your university years to make yourself more employable in the job market. 3) Please detail three non-academic achievements / extracurricular activities you are particularly proud of and give your reasons why. 4) Please describe your motivation for wishing to work for HSBC and your chosen business area. Outline the key skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. In your answer we will be looking for clear evidence of motivation. 5) How is your hero and why.
    4. Office interview

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was about my hero, because It was unexpected question so it took some time to choose the person I would be talking about.   Answer Question

Analyst Developer Interview

The first step is to have an online aptitude test. Then, a phone interview in English was conducted. After that, a programming test(Java, C++, VB) was followed.
    Finally, a face-to-face interview was followed and it was the last process of the hiring.

Summer Interview

Fill the online application, there are 5 short essay questions:
    1. Please detail three non-academic achievements / extracurricular activities you are particularly proud of and give your reasons why.
    2.Please describe your motivation for wishing to work for HSBC and your chosen business area. Outline the key skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. In your answer we will be looking for clear evidence of motivation.
    (250 words max)
    3.Please describe a situation when you actively challenged someone about a decision or an action you felt was wrong for the wider team's success. (Describe the situation, your actions and the end result).
    (250 words max)
    4.Tell us about a time when you invited or encouraged others to offer a different perspective or opinion in order to deliver a better solution. (Describe the situation, your actions and the end result).
    (250 words max)
    5.Please explain what self-development opportunities you've taken advantage of during your university years to make yourself more employable in the job market.
    (250 words max)
    Then there was online numerical test, relatively easy.
    Telephone interview last around 30 mins; some questions I rmb:
    Why global market? why HSBC?
     What the world will look like in 2050?

HSBC's values?
    Career goal in 5 years time?
    recent financial news that interest you.