H E B Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.5

Assistant Service Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in December 2012.

Hired from within! I started as a bagger and was promoted to cashier. When the Assistant Service Manager position was posted. I applied through HEB.com and was called for an interview. HEB hires from within but considers eternal applicants equally and the interviews are the same.

Interview Questions
    • Typical STAR questions and going over the application and resume. Availability hours are also discussed. A smile and upbeat personality is expected.   Answer Question
    There is a set minimum and mid pay. There is room for negotiation based on past experience

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at H E B in June 2010.

very basic interview,one with the store manager and a second one with the regional director and human resources team.
    it takes about 3 weeks for the whole new hired process to go trough.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions,just the classic,situation,behavior and outcome.   Answer Question
    easy

SORM Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H E B in March 2013.

Two rounds group and individual interviews
    First with about 4-5 in a group. What they want to observe is how well you work together with a team. Do you listen? Are you too quiet/loud? Do you include others?
    If you move on then it's one on one with the head of the department and the department trainer.

Interview Questions
    • Depends if you are coming from inside or outside the company. I came from inside the company so they asked about processes and technical skills.
      They will ask about name a time when.... (Difficult customer, difficult partner, management...)
      Name a time when you needed to persuade someone to get on your side
        Answer Question
    None

Over Night Stocker Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at H E B in August 2014.

Group interview for new HEB Opening. A group of 10 candidates with 2 interviewers. We were asked simple questions about our experience with the position, and split briefly into groups to preform a group activity (moving folding chairs from one place to another as a team) they were looking for communication between us, and efficiency if the jobs overall execution and completion. Followed by another group question and discussion session. Was a very friendly environment.. Even if I didn't get the job (I'll know shortly) I'm still happy I experienced an interview in the fashion.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us of a time where you and a co worker didn't see eye to eye   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2010.

The interview was very casual. I had my interview in the break room and the interview asked the basic questions. Such as, experience with customers and examples of my work ethic.

Customer Service Representative Interview

5 minutes of situational question. instances where you didnt get along with someone and how to managed anyway. they just want to get to know you and see if you will be a slow worker

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Easy, but must have open availability to get hired faster. They're looking for customer service oriented people. Tell them what they want to hear with ways you exhibit those qualities.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you handled a difficult upset customer situation...   View Answers (2)
    None. Standard wages.

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2014.

The first interview was the phone interview - a manager will call and ask basic interview questions. Answer the questions the best you can and if they like you, they'll ask you to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview, we all sat in a semi-circle facing four managers who would later on decide who stays and who goes. The first thing we did was a little "about me" activity where we would have to present ourselves to the panel of managers and other applicants. Next, we were partnered up and did a "sell me this product" activity. You were given a random product and had to sell the product the best you could. The last activity we did was a hypothetical scenario reenactment. Each applicant was given a random scenario and was told to read it and explain/act out how they would solve the problem at hand. All in all, the group interview was surprisingly very fun. Just don't be shy, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone.

The final interview is a 1:1 with the UD. My UD was very laid back and seemed cool. He is the final person between you and your future career at HEB. I was asked about 10 basic interview questions. It was really easy and simple. None of the questions took me longer than 3 seconds to think about. At the end, if he likes you, you're a "GO". Be comfortable and make sure to be truthful. Bring a resume just in case!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at H-E-B?

Why should I hire you? (And not somebody else)
        View Answer
    No negotiation. A base salary was set and started filling out paperwork.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

After I turned in my application, I got a call about a week or two later for an interview. It was a one on one interview that lasted about 20-25 minutes. I got a call back about two weeks after that to offer me the position.

Deli Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at H E B in October 2011.

I was an internal so it was your basic group interview with all sorts of store directors, HR managers, etc. Final interview was with the Regional Merchant. The process wasn't too complicated but there are a lot of people applying for the same position.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any of the questions being too hard to answer. Learning HEB's acronyms for everything will be a challenge though.   Answer Question
    They don't really negotiate unless you're an external applicant.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!