Guardian News & Media Interview Questions

Updated 3 Oct, 2014

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Guardian News & Media

N/A Interview

Two stage interview. First with the head of department and senior management team member plus HR representative. The second was opened to mid level management. The first was in a chaotic yet formal interview room setting, the second in a more relaxed, convival meeting room setting. Dress codes were varied, I wore a suit, they had cut off jeans and worn t-shirts!

I was able to negotiate with HR regard final salary.

Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guardian News & Media in July 2014.

I applied online through the GMG job portal. The application was simple - covering letter, CV and question about why the role appealed. I heard back within 2 weeks, with an email inviting me to interview 5 days later. As part of my prep I did lots of research into the history and values of the Group - there is a lot of information on their website.

I was interviewed by the potential manager and a colleague (no HR rep) and there was little/no structure to the questioning. They told me about the team and they then asked me to tell them about my background, after which the main interviewer seemed to draw the conclusion that I might be expecting "more from the role than it can give". Despite my reassurance that I understood what the role involved, the interviewer spent 5 minutes of my hour in there insisting that he didn't want me to be disappointed, and "not that I'm suggesting you'd expect it, but this wouldn't be a stepping stone to another role any time soon". I almost asked if he thought it was worth me continuing the interview, as this was before they had actually asked me a single specific question about why I wanted the role and what I thought I could bring to it. Perhaps it was his way of telling me I was over-qualified but it felt like I had been judged quite early on, and it was quite off-putting for the remaining 45 minutes I spent in the interview.

Conversely I felt I got on well with both interviewers, but I expected from very early on, that I would not be invited back for the second round. Quite frustrating as I didn't feel that any of their questions really tested my ability or the appeal of the role to me. I think the interview would have benefited from either having someone from HR present or even a script, as it completely depended on the ability of the interviewer to ask the right questions. He didn't seem to know where to go. At one point, as there were no questions forthcoming, I asked "would it be useful if I told you about my experience with the application I'd be working on?".

It still seems like a great organisation to work for however I was put off by this particular manager. One other thing was that when I asked about a couple of the responsibilities, the interviewers weren't aware that they were on the job specification, and said that it was incorrect.

I got the confirmation that I wasn't successful within 2 weeks of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one, what made the interview tricky was the lack of open-ended questions and structure.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

I applied via the online form and then was informed about two to three in fact maybe four or five weeks later that I would have a telephone interview. The line was really bad, but I could just about hear them. There were two people on the line - the interviewer and a recent graduate employee. There was plenty of opportunity to ask questions and I promptly received feedback afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • How have you worked together on a technical project with someone. What did you disagree on and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Hotdesk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Guardian News & Media in May 2013.

interviewed in corridor

User Help Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guardian News & Media in June 2011.

I applied for the position from the guardian job site . 4 weeks after applying I received an automated response from GNM HR department asking me to use their online tool to set up the interview.
    I was interviewed within 2 weeks by the hiring manager and other team member. The interview was very relaxed and I wasn't asked any difficult questions.
    I received a response after 3 weeks stating that I wasn't successful. I contacted the hiring manager for feedback and she called me back to let me know that they simply d found an applicant that was a better match in terms of technical skills.

Interview Questions
    • Have you have any experience in launching and supporting mobile apps?   View Answer