Grant Thornton Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

2.7

Advisory Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Alexandria, VA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter walking through all the benefits offered by GT Global Public Sector. I realize they aren't the only ones who do this, but I still don't know why they waste both our time doing that. 17 days PTO? 3 years to get vested in your 401k. That's GT's idea of interview foreplay, I guess. Anyway, a senior manager then took over and his description of the position only marginally overlapped with the position I thought I was interviewing for. Both were loosely related to federal financial award (grants) management. They were close enough to maintain my interest, so I rolled with it. I'd already gotten up early and drove the one hour to get there in -5 degree weather. He describes how everyone loves working there and nobody likes telecommuting. Seriously? This is Friday and it's -5 degrees outside. We walked past rows and rows and rows of cubicles to get to the interview room. I felt like I was being marched to the Death Chamber in prison. You could have filmed "Office Space" there. Or "Dead Man Walking". Not exactly a thought-provoking, critical thought-inspiring place. He continues. Everyone there is collegial, etc. etc. We bantered about our experience working with HHS grant programs. He does most of the talking. Asks no penetrating questions. Ok. I have an MBA and federal grants ain't exactly rocket science. I've got 20 years experience in grants compliance oversight management. I conducted about 70 on-site audits when I worked for the feds. Next person rolls in. Another "senior manager" and another description of the position. This one is a CPA and she wants an accountant/auditor because of the supposedly complicated financial compliance work they do. At this point I realized why these big consulting firms have high staff turnover rates. it would be difficult to work with this person....much less FOR this person (what can you say to someone who already knows everything?). The interview thankfully ended after 1.5 hours. Going in, I was jazzed about the idea of working for a big global consulting firm. Once I looked behind the curtain and saw the Wizard of Oz.....not so jazzed. But it's probably fine for college grads. Looks good on your rez.

Interview Questions

Let me qualify this answer: I preemptively declined. In other words, when my recruiter called me soon after my interview ended, I told him I was not interested in pursuing GT any further.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Grant Thornton (Orlando, FL (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview by a partner, she was very nice. We talked about the internship position, the requirements of the position, and my location preferences. It was very casual and not intimidating.

Interview Questions

Interview

Would like to say I got an interview at Grant Thornton but I didn't. I received a message from Grant Thornton HR asking if I was still interested in the position I had applied for 2 months prior. I called back multiple times and sent emails with no response. I then received an email from Grant Thornton Recruiting saying that my resume was no longer being looked at. Highly unprofessional to call someone and never return a call back. I was even referred to the position by another Grant Thornton employee.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

For the Associate level, Grant Thornton generally hires through on campus recruiting. However, it is possible to meet hiring managers in different service lines by pursuing networking events such as professional organizations.

Interview Questions

• My interview process had several fit questions one would expect such as: strength and weakness; provide an example of when you went over and beyond on a project; please discuss a time when you had to overcome diversity to accomplish your goal; what is your greatest accomplishment, and discuss; discuss any team projects you have (ties into other questions); On this team project, how did you manage someone who did not complete their assignment   1 Answer

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview was really easy. They asked for your experience and why you want work for them.
    Everything went well. They said they will let me know in next 3 days. Never heard anything back from them.

Senior Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2015.

Interview

The hiring procedure consisted of 3 rounds of interview. first was a one hour session with 2 audit partners and then a 30 min interview each with 2 senior managers.

Interview Questions

• Interview was majorly behavioral and included questions from my past experience and expectations from a senior associate.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I applied through an employee at the office I was interested in. I was contacted by the recruiter about a week later. Had a brief talk with her and received an email shortly after about setting up a phone interview with a manager. After that the recruiter called again and we were able to set up an office visit. At the visit I met with two managers and a partner. Received a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions from recruiter and manager were focused on location and background of the past few years. Office visit questions were very focused on how I would fit in and a large percent of the time was me asking questions.   Answer Question

Advisory Associate Interview

Interview

1st round interview on campus that went alright. The manager that interviewed me did not seem like I was the right fit for the role and kept talking about switching me to another practice, which she ended up doing. The process was also extremely drawn out and I was left in the dark. I had to follow-up with the recruiter (who is an angel by the way, shout out to her!) multiple times until I was told that I did not advance to the final round.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2014.

Interview

Started with on campus recruiting. Had one on campus interview, was brought into the office for the second round. Two candidates interviewed at the same time and the interviewers simply switched rooms. Office tour was nice. Said I'd hear about offer within the next week.

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Applied to Grow with Grant Thornton Leadership program, interviewed, went to Grow with GT, interviewed with two senior associates. About 2 weeks after the program ended I received a call with an offer, then a few days after that received the details of the offer in an email.

Interview Questions

• How do you see the globalization of the world impacting GT?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate