Google

Getting the Interview

800 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details The recruiters and interviewer are very friendly. However, they actually made me do the first screen interview in a time I didn't say I was available.

Interview Question – They asked two questions.
1. O(n*log n) time to find the k-th largest element of a n*n matrix, given every row or column of the matrix is pre-sorted.
2. O(log n) tome to find the k-th largest element of two pre-sorted array.

Both questions were expected to be well disscussed, then to write pseudocode and test cases. I found it was very stressful and the time was not enough. I provide a O(n^2) solution for the first one, and solved the second one. But I they didn't move me forward.
  View Answer

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details The process was very transparent. The recruiter responds to emails and phone calls very quickly. The interviewers were very knowledgeable and friendly.

Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details I referred by an employee and got into communication with a recruiter. Then she scheduled a phone interview. After one phone interview I had on site interview.There were four 1-1 interviews and a lunch with an employee.

Interview Question – Guessing game - I pick a number between 1 and 100 and you are trying to guess it. Every time you query a number I tell you if it is higher or lower.

Part 1- Write the code of it, if cost of querying a number is equal.
Part 2- How about if cost of querying number x is x? How would you change the algorithm?
  View Answers (2)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details I applied through their website a few months after graduating, and received a response about two weeks later. They e-mailed me a list of tips and things they'd recommend studying for the interview (hash tables) etc. Interview was done using Google Docs to type out code while talking over the phone. Unfortunately, I should have studied more and did not get the interview, and they recommended waiting at least 12 months before trying again.

Interview Question – Questions are similar to those on CareerCup.   Answer Question

Interview Details 1. referred by a friend of mine who is working in google
2.upload my resume and transcript
3.fill a questionnaire
4.be in touch with a recruiter about interview time
5.do a phone interview
6.pass the phone interview, get in touch with the recruiter again

Interview Question – some knowledge based questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details I received an email from a recruiter. I requested the interview to be within 2 months and they agreed. There was a long gap between phone interview and in person interview (about two months). I had 5 interviews in one day (which was my choice, it could have been two days). Very good food on site. Very nice office. back to back interviews specially three of them in the afternoon was kind of tiring. I should have gone with two day choice. I had a very difficult interview which I did very good. But two latest interviews were not so good. In one of them it was a fairly simple question, but I wrote the whole code in one function. I think they expected better code sample.

Interview Question – I don't remember the exact question, but it was some kind of sorting problem. The difficulty was that you had to define first what "sorted" means first and then solve the problem. The question was kind of ambiguous and that was the most difficult part.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Google in November 2011.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn in June of 2011, during the middle of my graduate degree.

The actual pre-interview process took place in November. This included one initial phone interview by an HR representative, followed by two phone screens by current software engineers to test my aptitude. I did not pass the initial screen.

Interview Question – Screening question involving the drawing of an ascii-art maze of arbitrary size. 45 minutes long.   Answer Question

Waterloo, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in July 2011.

Interview Details Was referred by an ex-coworker and a recruiter contacted me. I did a 45 minute phone screen about 2 weeks later, which was my preferential timing. Then, about 4 weeks later, they flew me to the site where I wanted to work for five 45-minute interviews. Most questions were related to coding or algorithms. There was one "systems design" interview at the end. The interviewers were really helpful, and I can say that although I was stressed, I had a lot of fun in the interviews. Got an offer 2-3 weeks later. The recruiter was in contact with me during that time.

Interview Question – The systems design question was probably the toughest.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Google in November 2012.

Interview Details Quick message on LinkedIn lead to a phone call from a recruiter, who was friendly and walked me through the process. A couple weeks later, received a call from an engineer for a 45 minute technical interview... after that, another 45 minute phone interview was conducted, which focused more on what they call the "Front-End Suite", which suited my experience better.

I was then flown to Mountain View for an on-site interview. This was a full day affair, and I met with 5 engineers at Google who quizzed me on a variety of technical problems. All but one were really friendly and personable... one of them looked pissed from the beginning to the end, which was probably the reason why I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – Signed an NDA, so can't give specifics.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter by email. Then she helped me to set up a phone interview with an engineer. The interview lasts around an hour. I was a newly graduate. He asked questions related to my school projects. No coding. Some data structure and algorithm questions.

Interview Question – There're no difficult questions but I think I'm not well prepared so my answers are too normal. He didn't find anything special.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 800 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.