Google

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
3,783 Interview Reviews

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

Was smooth and very quick, recruiter contacted me very early, and then matched with two interviewers, both were professional and cordial. questions involved a simple and common data structure, and an ad-hoc style question. Exposure to programming contests or project euler would be great, main thing they seemed to do was evaluate thinking process and interest

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Some recruiter contacted me, and then arrange a phone interview. There're 3 questions in the interview, and all of them are regular questions. The interviewer person is really nice, in the interview the phone is disconnected for unknown reason. Then he called me again, an enjoyable experience. I'm still in the process. This is just first round, I was told next might be on-site directly or another round phone interview.

Agency Referral to Recruiter:
    Recruiter Phone Screen 30 mins interview - competency based
    eg. Why Google? Why the role?: How do you feel about working in Dublin? Have you ever improved a product/process?
    Team Member Phone Screen 30 min interview - role related and competency based
    eg. How is the quality score calculated? Tell me a time when you have been involved in conflict? Tell me about a time when you have taken up a leadership role when you were not officially appointed as leader?
    Google hangout interview 3 consecutive interviews (2 hours)
    1st Hiring Manager (1 hour) - analytical skills and competency based
    eg. If the CEO asked you to create a new google product that would launch in the next 3 years what would it be? When have you worked with a difficult client? If you were given the task of increaing customer satisfaction from 80% to 90% what would you do? (tip: be detailed and specific)
    2nd Sr Team Member ( 30 mins) - role related knowledge and leadership and team fit
    eg. When have you gone beyond your role to help a team member? How do you achieve your personal goals?
    3rd Sr Team Member ( 30 mins)- role related knowledge and "googleyness"
    eg. When have you taken on a leadership role? Tell me about a time when you have worked in a team.
     BE PREPARED KNOW ADWORDS AND TAKE A CLIENT PERSPECTIVE SHOW YOUR PERSONALITY AND DO NOT WORRY ABOUT GETTING ANSWER RIGHT JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE ACTUALLY ANSWERING THE QUESTION!! FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS TO CLARIFY AND ASK UNIQUE QUESTIONS AFTER THE INTERVIEW TO MAKE SURE THEY REMEMBER YOU USE EXAMPLES (STAR) TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND USE ANALOGYS TO EXPLAIN YOURSELF MAKE THEM CREATIVE EG. GOOGLE IS LIKE A CAR AND ADWORDS IS THE ENGINE, THE DRIVING FORCE.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you have said something that someone took to offence and how did you handle?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think Google invented Google Chrome?   Answer Question
    • If you were asked to bring Adwords to Brazil or Turkey how would you implement this? Be specific. Think about analytical skills you use and which markets etc would you choose to research and why   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google.

I had the interview a month ago. The recruiter is very effective and immediately arrange a phone interview. During the interview, the interviewer gave me a scenario of a board game. He asked me to implement a function to determin whether a given region on the board has been surrounded or not.
    Typical BFS problem.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview, the interviewer gave me a scenario of a board game. He asked me to implement a function to determin whether a given region on the board has been surrounded or not.   View Answer

Developer Evangelist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I submitted my resume via the website and was contacted the following day. I talked to a couple of HR reps on the phone. They each had different positions. I spoke to one who said I would be a good fit for the position.

She wanted to set up a technial interview. I asked if it could wait a couple of weeks, so I could prepare properly. She said that was not a problem. When I attempted to email the HR rep back two weeks later, the email bounced. I tried to apply for the same position via the website and was not allowed to because you have to wait 1 year.

So, that is where it ended.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions. It was just a background screen.   Answer Question

SWE Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

HR contact and basic information check. then, after one month, two rounds technique interview online with Google docs writing code. Mainly Focus on basic algorithm and a design question but the design question is not hard.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

applied through employee reference before christmas, got scheduled three phone interviews after the holidays. got feedback from the recruiter around one week after the technical interviews, filled in the team match questionnaire. waited about 3 weeks before getting an interview with a host.

Interview Questions
    • programming questions focused on basic data structures and string operations.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I got a very challenging computational geometry problem in my interview. The second interview was easier. I managed to solve both problems and ended up getting an offer from Google New York city.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bunch of points and a convex polygon in R^2. Determine if each point is inside the polygon.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in December 2014.

3 back to back 50 min phone interviews, followed by a host matching process (you are put in a pool of candidates and may or may not be matched to a team based on your interests and skills).

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google contacted me on LinkedIn. I passed a phone screen, submitted writing samples, and did a writing test. I took a day off work for the writing test, and I'm very glad that I did. It was very intense. Where there was a choice of topics, I suspect that it was important to choose the more difficult/technical one. (I did not, and my interview process ended after the writing test.)