Google Interview Questions

3,266 Interview Reviews

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied for an internship position at Google and I passed the technical interview. There were 2 phone interviews. But later, I couldn't find a host at Google. A few months later, a recruiter from Google contacted me and asked me if I like to apply for a full time position or not. I said yes and she scheduled an on-site interview for me. I went to their Kitchener campus since I live in Canada. There were 5 interviews, one of them about my thesis and the others were all basic algorithm/DS questions. I pretty much answered all the questions but I missed a few details. I didn't get any offer at the end. I took about a month for them to reply.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

Google makes every candidate sign an NDA that prevents talking about the interview questions and such. However, I can share information that is already posted in public blogs. First there are two different types of software engineers. Both do coding, design, development, research. Basically though there are those who carry a pager and are always on call, and those who don't. Having done the interview for both types of positions, I can say the general format of the interview remains the same, but there are noticable differences in the style of questions. That said it is an interview designed so a new graduate will actually have a better chance than 20 year veteran. Someone who is unemployed and can dedicate weeks preparing will do better than someone who can just squeeze in a weekend of refresher study. A CS major will do better than a phycists. Your references, experiences, etc will not aid for the interview. So even if you have several VP's as reference, you still need to pass the interview before that will taken into account.

As to what the interview feels like. Imagine you decide to sit in on a mid-level undergrate course at MIT like CS 170. The instructor recognizes you and asks you to teach the class. So you are up in front of at the white board trying to present solutions to problems you might not have ever seen before that day. Now imagine doing that 5 or 6 times in a row. That is what it feels like. When you pull it off and come-up with a good solution, it feels really nice. When you hit something where you spend most of your time just really understanding the problem and do several false starts, it feels really embaressing.

That said, with free online university couses available, and a wealth of reference materials available, I feel like this is an interview anyone can pass, if and only if they have the adequate amount of time to prepare. Finding that time can be difficult if your current job keeps you working 60+/hours a week, and your family keeps you busy for the rest. That is probably why you see many more young faces at google than older ones. It just becomes so much harder to find the time... But at least if you know what to prepare for and have some time, you have a fighting chance.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot disclose due to NDA. But I can say I crashed and burn badly on it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interviewed on campus, then recieved two phone screens on google hangouts. Unfortunately, I did not pass this stage of the process due a very tricky design question. Each interview was 45 minutes long but there was time at the end to ask questions

Interview Questions
    • How to sort a linked list.
      How to find three sorted numbers in an array.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

the process was quick, and the people were very friendly. They would ask general questions to see if you are a fit in their group. Be geniune and express why you want to work for the company and what you can add to the firm.

Front-End Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

My interview process was a bit short-lived, but this may be helpful nonetheless.

The Google recruiter, who was very sweet, mentioned that the first interview would be full of software engineer questions and she gave me a handy list of topics to study. I only had about three days, so I studied that topic list to death, expecting questions ranging from operating systems p-threads, through to algorithm design and graph theory.

The first interview had a strong combination of JS topical questions, mixed with very few questions about data structures and then an ultimate coding question. This last question was heavier, though lots of time was given. Definitely thought I did very well on the beginning of the interview, but that last question was a killer for me.

Didn't get a second interview (received a response about a week later), but I felt the process was okay up to that point. I was incredibly nervous but after having taken the first interview, I realized that it was all built up and in my head. The questions were not difficult if basics were studied and they gave you a Google Doc to show you know what you're talking about.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

Had two back-to-back white board interviews, wrote down code and they took pictures after. One interviewer was really nice and patient, the other one was a bit unpleasant. The questions were average difficulty but it really depends on your interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • A question about graph theory and another question related to hexadecimal numbers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The recruiter told me the complete interview process I may go through. He also asked me of my location preference globally, sent me the interview tips which cover a lot of basic knowledge/question for google software engineer interview, such as algorithm and data structure.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Had a very pleasant experience with the process. They send you all the information you need to prepare, books, knowledge points, videos etc. However I did not study very hard and did not pass the phone interview. The question was a basic one if you studied leetcode or CC150 once or twice it would be fairly simple but I did not study at that time. The interviewer was very friendly as well.

Interview Questions
    • A common problem from leetcode/CC150/any algorithm book.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online via Google website and a recruiter contacted me one day after, and scheduled the phone interview for two weeks later. After a while I was forced to postpone the interview time because of some unexpected stuff, Afterwards they scheduled the interview to one week later at local time midnight, which was really weird for me, but I finally accepted the time and day of interview. At the day of interview, interviewer called me at midnight, and he was surprised of interview time as well, but we decided to continue and he asked only some coding questions during almost one hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected thing was that interviewer wasn't friendly at all.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. HR phone interview a week later, then technical phone interview 4 weeks later. Asked me to write a code for the "Fill with color" tool functionality in MS Paint or Photoshop.

Interview Questions
    • write a code for the "Fill with color" tool functionality in MS Paint or Photoshop.   View Answer