Google

Getting the Interview

2,784 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details The recruiters and interviewer are very friendly. However, they actually made me do the first screen interview in a time I didn't say I was available.

Interview Question – They asked two questions.
1. O(n*log n) time to find the k-th largest element of a n*n matrix, given every row or column of the matrix is pre-sorted.
2. O(log n) tome to find the k-th largest element of two pre-sorted array.

Both questions were expected to be well disscussed, then to write pseudocode and test cases. I found it was very stressful and the time was not enough. I provide a O(n^2) solution for the first one, and solved the second one. But I they didn't move me forward.
  View Answer

Strategy and Operations Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details Recruiter emailed me to schedule a screening interview

Screening interview - Recruiter asked standard questions about background, experience, engineering degree, MBA. Asked me a few technical questions to verify I understand technology. Recruiter was reading a script. Unfortunately, questions in the script were technically incorrect and I ended up having a disagreement with the recruiter about tech theory.

Associate Interview - PhD Engineer/Associate asked simple analytical question, then asked me technical questions. Once again, the interviewer did not understand how this technology worked, and rudely ended the interview after I corrected them and explained the theory on this particular technology.

Interview Questions

Business Associate Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details Applied via Google Website and 6 weeks later got a reply that for an interview. Had two Google hangout interviews with team leader in SMB services. Both Interviewers were very friendly and easy to talk to. I would recommend watching reading Financial statements and fully grasp the Google business model in its entirety.

Interview Question – You are in charge of Google expansion into North Africa how would you go about implementing this?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details The process was very transparent. The recruiter responds to emails and phone calls very quickly. The interviewers were very knowledgeable and friendly.

Montreal, QC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details I referred by an employee and got into communication with a recruiter. Then she scheduled a phone interview. After one phone interview I had on site interview.There were four 1-1 interviews and a lunch with an employee.

Interview Question – Guessing game - I pick a number between 1 and 100 and you are trying to guess it. Every time you query a number I tell you if it is higher or lower.

Part 1- Write the code of it, if cost of querying a number is equal.
Part 2- How about if cost of querying number x is x? How would you change the algorithm?
  View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Intern Interview

Victoria, BC

I interviewed at Google in May 2013.

Interview Details I sent my resume, but they did not accept.

Interview Question – I didn't have questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details I applied through their website a few months after graduating, and received a response about two weeks later. They e-mailed me a list of tips and things they'd recommend studying for the interview (hash tables) etc. Interview was done using Google Docs to type out code while talking over the phone. Unfortunately, I should have studied more and did not get the interview, and they recommended waiting at least 12 months before trying again.

Interview Question – Questions are similar to those on CareerCup.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details submit resume online, contacted by a recruiter the next day, they asked about my available time during the following month, but still scheduled an interview which conflicts with my calendar. the recruiter responses email really slowly, it even took more than a week to reply my "rescheduling" email. Anyway, I had the 2 45-min phone interview with two engineers.

Interview Question – they asked me to code for such a question: the input was a string and I was supposed to output the longest sub string with only 2 distinct chars in the sub string.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details I applied online through the careers page on Google. I heard back from them in about a week. I was asked to schedule a time-slot for 2 back-to-back interviews over the next 5 weeks.

Interview Question – The questions mostly dealt with basic data structures and algorithms. Though the questions themselves were not difficult, the interviewer expected me to know quite a few intricate details. Looks like they expected perfect solutions as opposed to just solutions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details Was converted from intern. Five rounds of interviews because the first three were not good enough. Questions touched on algorithms, system designs, and basic computer science knowledge.

Interview Question – System design questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice. All 2,784 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.