Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.3

Online Media Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goodwill.

The interview felt more like a conversation with an old friend rather than an interview. Everyone I met there had a positive attitude and seemed very genuine. While I was asked about my work background, what I liked about it and did not, the interview revolved more around what my personality was like to see if I was a good fit with the company.

Interview Questions

It is really a shame that Goodwill does not receive more funding. The pay was barely above minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pacific Beach, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pacific Beach, CA (US)

interviewed at Goodwill in July 2014.

I applied online and was emailed and called back the next day. When I went in for the interview, there were two people there, but only one did the talking. She asked me questions about my ideal job, past experience, and whether I had any management experience. I am definitely "overqualified" by my education for the position, which became more apparent in the interview. I feel like I didn't fit the mold of what they were expecting.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, but she asked me if I had management experience, so I'm not sure why that was asked, since I was just applying to be a cashier.   View Answer

E-commerce Clerk Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Goodwill.

They will hire anyone just to fill a position. As they say, there is no one that can't be replaced. Turn over is very high. The Management staff that does the interviewing acts as though you are bothering them.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just basically if you are willing to take the job, it is offered to you.   Answer Question
    no negotiation...take it or leave it.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goodwill in February 2014.

Took about a week to get my interview set up. and about a week in a half to get offered a different Job then was applied for. was told they had hired someone else. but the position wasnt filled for another two - three months after i had accepted the job offer for Cashier

There was none

Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Goodwill.

It takes months to get hired. Be patient. They are non profit obviously so for some reason it takes a while. They were very nice, but it seemed to take forever to get a call back.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate your pay upfront. Raises aren't that great.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill.

Applied online. Got a call back like a week later. Went in for the interview and manager asked me questions about past experiences such as " Tell me about a time when you had to work in a team and what was the outcome" He asked me multiple questions like this. We went over my job experience and he asked the usual interview questions and told me he would call me if I got the job. I didnt hear from them for about 1 week and thought that I didnt get the job. Eventually manager called and said that they would like to hire me because there 1st choice for the job didnt go through. I accepted the job and he told me that I would need to wait for my background check to clear and that it would take about a week. I was nervous about my background check because I had gotten into trouble with the law when I was a minor. So the manager called and told me that my background check cleared and they need me to fill out all the paperwork. Going to start working this week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goodwill in August 2010.

one of the more quick and simple application/interview processes i've experienced. the managers were friendly and complimentary. most of the questions were regarding customer service and following company policy. nothing too in depth, but that may have been because i was totally over qualifed. it was clear they liked my answers and even commented that one of the questions i answered was almost never given a good response. i was offered the job the next morning and they mentioned they were hoping id be interested in pursuing a management position. it was overall a very favorable experience.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation. i new the wage to start.

Donor Specialist Interview

It was very simple and basically hassle free. Background check. The Donor Specialist position is not a management job, so the hiring process for this position was extremely simple. I really don't have any other input, they just want to make sure that a person is physically able to perform this job due to heavy lifting.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions as this is not a management position. The main question seemed to deal with honesty. As a Donor Specialist, especially at an independent location, there's the concern of theft.   Answer Question

Retail Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goodwill in November 2013.

Manager called after I filled out application on internet.and asked me if I was interested and I said yes, so she had me come in the next morning for the interview. I was in the store for about 2 hrs. and then she sent me to the main office to see the director and then he hired me and then I was sent for a drug test, background check.

Drug test, interview with Director and then getting schedule and supposed to get training which I did not.

Retail Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill in February 2013.

Three interviews with people of increasing authority. Assistant store manager, store manager, district manager.
    2 day orientation. Fairly standard stuff. They have a list of questions. You tend to get asked the same thing by more than one person.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions. Most interesting: Where else have you applied?   Answer Question