Goodby, Silverstein & Partners

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Interview Questions

Updated 1 Mar, 2015

2.9

Assistant Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

Interview

I met with the head of the department and recruiting manager and was contacted the next day to come back for interviews with people in the department I was applying for. I came back a couple weeks later and met with 4-5 people and was there for about 4 hours total. All of the interviews were casual and conversational, they just want to see if you would fit into the culture and if you're capable of the job you're applying for.

ACD Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

Interview

Came in to meet with a few people, just a couple hours. They force most people down in title, which was tough for everyone i'd talked to about this. Had an offer in a few days, accepted and I was done everything in 2 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• No tough questions were asked. Which I liked. I thought they were respectful enough to trust based on your portfolio. The interview was just a personality test to make sure you aren't a jerk.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tried to negotiate about title, which they force most people down a title. No go. Money was no problem. Was offered the same/current salary (which was a step up from my offered title). Easy.

Art Director Interview

Interview

Speaking to interns, the interview went well. I got hired on the spot. Your book speaks volumes, so without good previous work, it's probably pretty impossible to get a chance here. The chances of getting hired full time during the internship are slim to none.

Assistant Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

This is a company I had been wanting to work for throughout my advertising career. I could tell you all of their award winning campaigns and think through most of the strategic insight they unearthed. Unfortunately, the interview process really made me think twice about this agency.

I was first connected to the New York office by Rich Silverstein himself (met him at my university where he gave me a name of his coworker and I later found the person on LinkedIn). I had a brief informational interview with another woman and she referred me to HR at the San Francisco office. I contacted HR there and received very flaky responses and cancellations on phone meetings that we were supposed to have. The conversation ended there.

Five months later I contacted the same HR rep in SF, knowing she might be more interested in talking to me after getting more experience during a job I took in the meantime. She was interested and we had an informational interview that went well. She was nice and seemed friendly and easy to talk to. The interview led to her contacting me about a month later with a job opening. I was flown out to SF to meet with two account teams. I had seven interviews over the course of the two days. Times were moved around and meetings were rearranged but all seven interviews went on. The people seemed nice, though I had my reservations about the vibe of the office and the city as a whole.

Before I flew back home I sent HR a thank you note and asked when I would hear back from them. A week went by with no response so I sent another follow-up email. Nothing, so I sent another follow-up. Crickets. Another week went by (a total of 4 weeks) and I finally heard that they decided to go with another candidate.

Now if I would have heard within the first two weeks some kind of update that they were still interviewing candidates, I would have been completely fine and even more willing to accept that I did not get the job. However, after being strung along for an entire month with no update, I really lost respect for their HR process. Not something I want to deal with again.

Interview Questions

• After speaking about some work I had produced at my previous job, I was asked to evaluate my supervisor's decisions on the direction of the campaign.   1 Answer

Junior Communications Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

Met with one of the hr people to talk about the position and my background before I could move on to the next steps of meeting the team. It started out great but then turned into what felt like an interrogation/therapy session for everything that was wrong with me and my resume.... basically the most humiliating hour of my life.

Interview Questions

• biggest challenge you've ever been faced with in life................   Answer Question

Senior Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2013.

Interview

Contacted by phone and asked to come in for a day of interviews. A full day followed with six hour-long interviews (one over lunch) with various department heads, including one with Rich Silverstein. Afterwards, I had a short catchup with the hiring manager and left.

None of the interviews were standard and all felt like beer tests. No one asked anything taxing and they felt like friendly chats more than anything else.

Afterwards an offer came via email.

Interview Questions

• Questions were conversational and nothing seemed designed to catch me out in any way.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was standard and after a few conversational emails we reached an agreement with an increased salary.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

1 phone interview with HR, 5 interviews live in 1 day before getting a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not a lot of wiggle room with salaries, as there are tiers.

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

I got hired as an intern so the creative recruiter called me after looking at my book and hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• This really isn't applicable for my interview. We just chatted about general career goals and what life would be like in San Francisco since I was moving from Atlanta.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (Detroit, MI (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with several people. Interviews were non conventional.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty easy

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

I worked with a recruiter to get the interview with Goodby, they get many. many resumes so I was really pleasantly surprised to get an interview at all. The position is a very robust one with a lot of opportunity's to grow within that position. I met with several employees and they do a comprehensive job in the interviews. Be prepared to talk to why and how you got into advertising and explain why you left your previous positions.
    Also be prepared to describe your "ideal job" and yourself to the interviewers.

Interview Questions

Everything points to no work life balance and that's something I'm not willing to give up to work at a advertising agency. I do understand that's the trade off in advertising sometimes BUT there are good shops out there that do respect their employee's home life and foster a healthy balance. I am ok with working a ton of hours sometimes, I get that it's ebb and flow - just don't want it to be the norm all the time.