Good Technology Interview Questions

Updated 14 Oct, 2014
Updated 14 Oct, 2014

2.6

Principal Software Engineer/Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Good Technology in October 2014.

I was scheduled for an on-site interview for a week later after contact with recruiter. However, during the week leading up to the interview, the third-party recruiter informed me that they interviewed another candidate on-site for the same role, and she wanted to share with me some feedback that she was given by that candidate. Basically, this candidate felt like he did terrible on the on-site interview because he was given questions "not really relevant to the job" and questions for which the answers were "textbook" solutions that are not necessarily used today or in this role's specific job duties.

I think this is a sign of an immature engineering group. Because I am picky about the people I work with (I work with a great team now), this was a red flag to me. I am always really disappointed to find engineers asking questions like, "Sort this array using no built-in methods or third-party libraries". The question in and of itself is not useless, but usually it’s to know: Have they memorized the ultimate solution that was invented in the mid-late 1900s by computer scientists?

When an engineer asks questions like this with #2 as their motivation, I already know that they are not qualified to interview me. Myself- I prefer to spend my time solving problems that HAVE NOT YET BEEN SOLVED. It is indeed to understand the space and complexity of algorithms that one uses that are abstracted into libraries and built-in methods, but beyond that, who cares unless you're doing C or C++? I can teach a dog to memorize a computer science textbook.

During my actual on site, they were all expected questions to which, luckily enough, I happened to remember the common textbook solutions. I told myself going into it, however, that I wouldn't give them any textbook answers but rather come up with a different/creative way of solving whatever technical challenges they gave me. Yeah, call me a snob, but I know my worth and the value I have brought to software organizations so, when I'm interviewing for the position...guess what...I am the one doing the interviewing. Good Technology needed to prove to me that they were worth leaving what I currently have at a Fortune 500 company. And they failed. Every engineer/manager that asked me questions asked me technical puzzles that are probably in the top 5 "interview questions" when Googling "Software Engineer interview questions". So, sincerely, I attempted to come up with new solutions to whatever problems they presented me with in order to exhibit my problem-solving capabilities (because, again, who cares about memorization ability?), then talked through the O() notation of my solutions to hopefully hint to them that I was very conscious of what I was doing.

Unfortunately Good Technology's engineers could not see past the fact that I didn't give them their textbook solutions, further convincing me that they are not a practical-minded development team, but are rather looking for someone who has obselete knowledge because, in their mind, that's what makes for a Principal Engineer. Notice- they asked me ZERO questions that would demonstrate my ability to do the ACTUAL job. Instead, they each spent an hour giving me irrelevant questions. They didn't even say, "We just want to see how you solve problems". No, when I did solve each problem, their response was simply, "No, that's not right.". As expected, I suppose.

Last big red flag- I took notes on this... I asked ALL my interviewers what is most IMPORTANT to them in this role and on their team. They all unanimously responded, "The people. The personalities. The way people fit together." Yet, they spent less than 5% of the time asking me questions that spoke about my personality and team fit. That tells me one of two things:

1. Deep down they don't care about the personalities and team fit
    2. They want people like THEM that have boat loads of useless knowledge, not caring whether or not they have skills applicable to the actual job.

I left the interviews pretty sorry that I abandoned my current team for 6 hours to interview with such a poorly developed Software Development team at Good Technology. That was my bad. I sent an e-mail to the recruiter with my feedback, and I haven't heard back from her at all. Turns out, she's just another one of those recruiters (like most) that doesn't really care about professionalism unless you can do something for her (i.e. help her meet her quota). Fortunately, I don't have a desire to hear back about the position or about Good Technology. My impression is that the entire engineering team and management are impractical, not pragmatic, and have no idea what's really important to their business as a whole. Had they at least asked me questions that made some measure of good sense (yet still didn't offer me the job), I would be singing a different tune. But alas, it was like being interviewed by a group of people who just graduated college.

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Good Technology.

The interview process at Good Technology was fine, pleasant, average, nothing to write home about, not too long of an interview process which was nice because it didn't take too long

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Good Technology.

Did one phone call with one person who was optimistic about my background and he scheduled another call with another woman at the company. When I told her that I not only did mobile ux, but I currently did web ux as well she abruptly ended the call saying she didn't want to take up anymore of my time and hung up on me. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Confidential Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Good Technology.

Standard fare stuff. The process started with a by-the-numbers phone call with a recruiter, followed by in-person interviews with 6 executives over the course of two days. I received an offer from another company during the process, and I was impressed by the speed and good disposition of Good's response.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual or particularly memorable. It was straightforward.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Straight forward - expect to meet 3-5 people depending on level.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Do your homework and know the industry.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Good Technology.

Initial communication was over email via LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter and then Began with several phone interviews. In all honesty, I had never heard of Good Technology before I was contacted. The phone interviews went well and this led to a 1/2-day in-person interview with 4 employees (from multiple departments). Since that went reasonably well, the final step was an in-person interview with the hiring manager. All in all, it was a favorable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Not that the questions were difficult, but one of the interviewers was "less than seasoned" to put it politely. He seemed to be very mechanical in his interviewing style, exchanged NO pleasantries (not even a hello when he entered the room), and stared as his notes while seemingly reading predetermined questions for me to answer.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a "reasonable" offer.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Good Technology in July 2013.

Called in for 1-1 interviews. 4 interviews back to back. It was shared with me that I was one of 5 being called in for 1-1's within that week and would then be determined who would be called back for final round with HRVP. Nice group of HR folks, good energy, but not well prepared - most did not have a copy of resume and I sensed never reviewed it. A few focused questions but mostly very casual conversations. Expected to hear a yes or no on further interviews - never heard back by phone or email.

Sales Operations Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Good Technology in June 2013.

I submitted my resume on LinkedIn and was contacted by a recruiter within a few days. I had a few phone interviews, I was brought in for a face to face with the hiring manager and a few team members. I had a verbal offer within 24 hours. It was an easy transition and I'm really happy I accepted!

Interview Questions
    • Very easy going interview - just had to know my job and the right questions to ask about the role.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Good Technology in April 2013.

Recruiter calls, sets up a phone interview. Phone interview was very well organized. Called on-site. On-site interview was very well-organized. Post-interview/offer process is a mess. Recruiter was snobby and kind of forced me to tell my current compensation details. He said "We will NOT proceed if you don't tell your compensation numbers". I haven't checked but it may very well be against the law to do so.

Recruiter played games. When he came to know that my current salary is very low, he started demeaning my current company and the job and talking highly about the new company. He kept on saying that your offer is being printed. He asked me to gather references but never asked for them. Excuses, Excuses and Excuses to delay giving me a written offer letter. First, their administrator was on vacation who would have typed the letter, then their EVP was travelling, then their administrator was in an orientation. Finally, they gave a verbal offer. They said, they will give the written in an hour but than they backtracked. At this time, I had have enough of them. I told them honestly and clearly about getting tired of the games they have been playing. Character is more important than any higher paycheck out there !

My advise to all the candidates out there is that don't base your decision based on my experience. If you like Good and the position - go for it ! But don't get into the trap. As a general rule:
    1. Never disclose your salary/compensation
    2. The recruiter never works for you - he works for the company and thinks for the good of it !
    3. Don't generalize my experience with other opportunities. The team I interviewed with seem bright and were all happy.
    4. If wealth is lost something is lost, if character is lost everything is lost !
    5. Don't sell yourself - you are not a resource ! You are a human being with a heart ! Work for a company that treats you like one.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Good Technology.

Hiring Process: They had couple of open positions in different areas. But the job description given was not matching any of those open positions.

Phone Interview: With hiring manager. Felt like talking to a automated voice on the other end. Not friendly.

Onsite Interview: Had 4 rounds. One of the interviewer was rude. The moment I gave a wrong answer, interviewer started showing an unfriendly body language. As if he has rejected me at that point and don't care about what I think about them. After interview, I thought its good in a way I gave that wrong answer.

Questions were standard, I didn't brush up well for this interview, so its my (good) mistake.

Company culture on how they treat people matters a lot.