Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
205 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied through campus recruiting, standard resume/coverletter/transcripts. Received an email to complete a fairly extensive online application which read much like a supplemental application.

First round was on campus, one-on-one with an analyst from the target office. The interview was a fair blend of behavioural and technical.

Got invited to the super day at the office, what followed was an intense set of 6 interviews in their boardroom with anywhere from one to 4 people interviewing you from various levels of the office. Lots of technical questions, mainly stemming from the industry the regional office specializes in (oil and gas). Various valuation questions, DCF, accounting questions, and a ton of information regarding the industry.

Interview Question – Name 5 Calgary based energy companies listed on the TSX.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, was contacted several weeks later for an interview at my University, which they recruit out of. I was a math major, who had applied out of interest, but it turns out that Goldman was conducting on campus recruiting at the same time, which I was unaware of. Most of the students I was competing against were finance students (predictably).

Interview Question – How would you value a company?   View Answer

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details On campus recruiting at a LAC, only did initial phone interview. Was invited to superday but declined due to other offer

Interview Question – Mostly behaviour/fit questions, about resume, why GS, why the particular division/location.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2012.

Interview Details A phone interview, asking statistics and math questions. First ask your education and working experience, then ask three different math questions, all need a pen and piece of paper to answer. The people interviewed me are nice, but them seem a little hurry. I applied through my school's career site, and didn't expect that they would email me.

Interview Question – whats the chance that an uneven coin had 3 heads up.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details If you were Ben Bernanke and were reflecting back on last 5 years, what would you think about your decisions till now?

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Decided to pursue a different career altogether

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2010.

Interview Details I applied for the Summer internship analyst position. First, I was given a test on financial concepts. Two weeks later, I was interviewed on the phone. The questions were very general and consisted of me describing my past experiences. Two months after that, I was interviewed one on one about technical/mathematical concepts. For instance, one of the questions was: What is 97^2 ?

Interview Question – List 3 methods used in accounting for investments   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – N/A

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details First was a written round with questions mainly to test your quantitative aptitude-questions ranged from very easy-medium. Next was an essay writing test. Both are easy to crack but fastness and accuracy matters. Third round was group discussion.Don't try to be dominant- remember this is a group discussion and not a debate- support or constructively oppose your team members. Two in each group of about 10 people went through. Next was a 2 on 1 interview- with questions ranging from simple HR to basic finance and little bit of your subject domain. Don't try to bluff the interviewer saying that you are well versed in the finance world- especially to people coming from the engineering background- just an interest and zeal to learn is sufficient to get through. The final interview was a 1 on 1 with the vice president. They were mostly personality based questions like- Give an example of a situation which proved your leadership skills etc.

Interview Question – Why should I Hire you?   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2012.

Interview Details College recruitment.. Interview process took 3- 4 days and the results took a month, after which there was a background check. The interview process starts only if you clear an aptitude test

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details This was an On-Campus recruitment for internship.
Basically it was not as hard as the Full time employee recruitment process.
Number of rounds were variable (2 - 4).
First round:
-> Written test. Mostly of Quantitative aptitude and some C++ apti.
-> An essay on describing yourself.
-> Time was not sufficient. Mostly a minute to solve a question.
Technical round:
-> Had 5 questions.
-> Simple Data Structure problems and asked to write a pseudo-code.
-> Concentrated on DBMS queries mainly join.
-> UNIX command like printing nth record in a text file.
HR/Technical Round:
-> Tested basic knowledge on academic packages .
-> Some stress questions.
-> They just check whether you can handle a situation under pressure.

Negotiation Details – If you are interested to know the functioning of financial domain then this is the place for you.
Wont be working with cutting edge technologies again all are team based.

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details I easily had 7+ interviews. My original interview was on-campus at the university I attend. A lot of it was pretty unorganized. When I received callback interviews, I was informed of the interview less than a week in advance (which was difficult since most of my interviews were in NYC and I was 4+ hours away from NYC and still had class). All of my expenses were paid, however. Which was pretty cool.

Interview Question – Something having to do with matrices and QR.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had decent qualifications to be employed in the tech industry. The tech industry pays better, has way better fringe benefits (i.e. flexible hours, way less hours, no pressure to work on the weekends) and it seemed to be easy to make the transition from tech to finance if I later decided I wanted that.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!