Goldman Sachs

Getting the Interview

201 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied through campus recruiting, standard resume/coverletter/transcripts. Received an email to complete a fairly extensive online application which read much like a supplemental application.

First round was on campus, one-on-one with an analyst from the target office. The interview was a fair blend of behavioural and technical.

Got invited to the super day at the office, what followed was an intense set of 6 interviews in their boardroom with anywhere from one to 4 people interviewing you from various levels of the office. Lots of technical questions, mainly stemming from the industry the regional office specializes in (oil and gas). Various valuation questions, DCF, accounting questions, and a ton of information regarding the industry.

Interview Question – Name 5 Calgary based energy companies listed on the TSX.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, was contacted several weeks later for an interview at my University, which they recruit out of. I was a math major, who had applied out of interest, but it turns out that Goldman was conducting on campus recruiting at the same time, which I was unaware of. Most of the students I was competing against were finance students (predictably).

Interview Question – How would you value a company?   View Answer

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details On campus recruiting at a LAC, only did initial phone interview. Was invited to superday but declined due to other offer

Interview Question – Mostly behaviour/fit questions, about resume, why GS, why the particular division/location.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2012.

Interview Details A phone interview, asking statistics and math questions. First ask your education and working experience, then ask three different math questions, all need a pen and piece of paper to answer. The people interviewed me are nice, but them seem a little hurry. I applied through my school's career site, and didn't expect that they would email me.

Interview Question – whats the chance that an uneven coin had 3 heads up.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details If you were Ben Bernanke and were reflecting back on last 5 years, what would you think about your decisions till now?

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Decided to pursue a different career altogether

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2010.

Interview Details I applied for the Summer internship analyst position. First, I was given a test on financial concepts. Two weeks later, I was interviewed on the phone. The questions were very general and consisted of me describing my past experiences. Two months after that, I was interviewed one on one about technical/mathematical concepts. For instance, one of the questions was: What is 97^2 ?

Interview Question – List 3 methods used in accounting for investments   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – N/A

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online in early December, got an email 3 weeks later saying 1st round interviews will be scheduled. Heard back only in late January (so don't panic if it takes ages for them to get back to you...). 1st round interviews included 2 half hour sessions with two interviewers at a time, asking mostly behavioural questions and about past experience, skills, etc. A lot of 'tell me about an experience where you've had to show leadership/creativity' etc. Heard back after a long while, 3 weeks maybe. 2nd round interviews included 2 one-on-one sessions, same sort of interview, only this time I was also asked about specific roles/divisions I'd be interested in. Final interview was a more informal group meeting with a VP and another interviewee, asking what we look forward to, what we fear the most, what role we'd be most interested in. Only heard back after emailing a follow up email, 5 weeks later.

Interview Question – Describe one of your hobbies as if you are talking to a person who has never heard of it before.   Answer Question

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details Online Application. Took 4 weeks for them to get back to me.

Interview Question – Tell us what you think about the Chinese economy, answer in Chinese please. What do you think about the direction of Renminbi and US dollar?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied through OCR and also had an employee who referred me to HCM. About a month later, I was notified that I was selected for a first round phone interview. Overall, the interview was very conversational and the interviewer (a VP) was engaging and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person. Didn't make it to superday.

Interview Question – How do you measure social impact?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details Had an on campus interview with 2 interviewers. Contacted me two days later saying I was moving on to the next round of interviews, but once I was contacted again 3+ weeks later they said they had already hired their summer analysts (finance) for the year.

Interview Question – Mostly fit questions. Asked to explain the markets.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Summer Analyst interview questions and advice. All 201 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.