Goldman Sachs

3.3

159 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IBD Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Offered first round interview after the screening process in the London Office.
    Was asked basic competencies - Why banking, Goldman etc.
    Then was asked questions on market conditions, asked for a stock pitch, etc some technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you could work for Goldman Sachs or take a million pounds, which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

2 interviews: 1 analytical based about the web design and during the 2-1interview, the interviewer keep changing the condition and the requirements for the question, and ask me to write the code.

2.competency base based on CV and previous experience, teamwork.

Still waiting for response

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

2 rounds of interviews, the first round was a 2:1 panel and consisted of mainly behavioral, although try not to give the typical answers for Why GS and Why Ops. They hear these answers from 100s of others so try stand out when answering these.

2 days later I was invited to the Final round which consisted of 3 back to back interviews, all behavioral however when I myself mentioned something technical that I had read in the news they did ask follow up questions so make sure you understand anything that you talk about. All in all very friendly and well organised.

I received my offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • If you were taking 100 people from A to B, how would you go about doing it   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it is a graduate contract

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Online application after meeting them at a job fair. After 3 weeks invitation to first interview in their office (30min), afterwards final round of interviews (3x30min). Did not have final round yet.
    First round was purely behavioural based but nothing out of the ordinary. Show confidence and have a good story or to possibly a laugh. They want to know if it would be pleasant to work with you.

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

I have applied online to the position of a New Analyst in Technology department, 3 days later a recruiter called me on Friday and asked to come to the interview on next Monday in the morning.
    At the interview, there were 6 applicants in total, we were given an analytical task for 30 minutes based on responsive design and allocation of boxes into the screen (be sure to know well-known display sizes, resolution). The task wasn't hard, but additional questions from the interviewer were. The man was not friendly at all and I had an impression that I have irritated him from the beginning. I didn't feel that i answered his questions, because he suggested me unexpected ways to do it: to solve the problem from the java perspective, while i prepared to do it from html5/css perspective. He did not listen to me properly and always interrupted everything i tried to say.
    The second interviewer was much better and polite, and I have gained a good impression in the end. he was friendly and smiled a lot, but he asked some questions of Goldman Sachs, which i wasn't prepared to answer. My fault. We also talked through teamwork and leadership examples, there were no unexpected questions in this area.

Interview Questions
    • What should be as an input to the java method?
      What GS do in sales & trading?

Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

I applied to a graduate technology analyst position online. The process consisted of two appointments in the office. First day had two interviews. There were a handful of us in the first one. We were put in an office, given sheets with an analytic exercise to solve and make notes on in 30 minutes. It was something about ways to place widgets in a screen when you know the dimensions of the screen and the widgets. No need to prepare for this, just make sure you're able to think of an algorithm and then explain it. Bonus points if you write some code/pseudo-code. Once you're done with the first task, you're taken to the interviewer and spend another 30 minutes discussing your solution. The second interview was competency based, you get asked questions about recent projects and why you want to work in a bank etc. Have to ask your own questions afterwards.
    They take a week or so to respond with your results. You then schedule a second interview. Some people get it the very next day, others end up waiting months.
    Second day consists of 3 interviews, one highly technical, two competency based. Only one other person from my initial group made it further with me. The technical interview consisted of writing code on the paper. I was asked to write a function that would count a number of bits set to 1 in an integer. Then I had to implement a binary tree data structure and write a function that would check if a given binary tree is a binary search tree. There was another question about bit manipulation and it was quite difficult, I can't remember it well though. Other two interviews were competency based, same as during the first day, just have stories prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Given array of integers. Calculate the sum of differences between all elements or something like that.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. When I asked how much time I have to make a decision I was told that they have other people in line and that I should hurry up.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

Standard online application with SHL tests followed by an assessment day involving more tests, a group exercise, a one on one (more on that in a second), a panel interview and tea and coffee. Not a bad experience but the coffee was a little weak for a top investment bank. I would also avoid the tuna sandwiches and stick to the roast beef, I think they had horse radish in there somewhere so probably best that you bring some kind of mint before the interview stages. Got offered the job but turned it down following an unfortunate encounter with a member of HR which in turn has forced me to sign my name as a registered sex offender.

Interview Questions
    • Some tricky mental arithmetic questions during interview stages such as 9^4.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process was pretty standard. The interview was a mix of technical and motivational questions as well commercial awareness . The interview was a friendly process. None of the questions was difficult or unexpected. Technical questions were about how you would project company's FCF and how the company can boost its free cash flow. I was also asked some industry specific questions.

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

Applied online. After 2 weeks they called me in for 2 interviews on Monday. After that they called me in for a final round on Friday. Pretty straight-forward. Not-so-technical interviews. The interpersonal side is much more emphasised. They require a little more knowledge about the company(differences between competitors, main clients) than others. On the technical side, write a binary search, explain the cases when a hash map runs in O(n), Open bucket and Closed bucket.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you run an application that buys and sells fruits. What would you need to consider when implementing the application? Suppose that a client calls during your lunch break and tells you that he/she cannot buy 10 apples. What would you do? Suppose that during the time you are fixing that client's problem another 10-20 irate clients are calling. What would you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round: 2 interviews at satellite office. Second round: 3 interviews at London office. First two interviews were to determine motivation and general knowledge of finance. Second round of interviews consisted of a mix of competency and technical questions. In general questions were quite broad, ie.: what do you think of the business model of Facebook? Do you think the FED will raise the interest rates in the coming years?