Genzyme Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr, 2015

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA (US)).

Interview

Unbelievably slow and inefficient. Applied online, got an email 6 months later to set up phone call. HR rep would set up screening calls and then not call. Took weeks to schedule in person interview. Then had second round of in person interviews-one with the same person I already met, and she had nothing new to discuss. Next person was 20 min late (for a 30 min slot). Then they added third person who I wasn't scheduled to meet.

I was upfront with my salary requirements in the screening call. HR rep said I never said that to her (why would I lie about something as serious as compensation) and said they were thinking more like $40K less than I wanted. She then made a soft offer $25K less than I currently make. I said no multiple times and she kept harassing me to work with her. I wasn't trying to negotiate, I was not interested.

I also found out later that she disclosed my salary request to one of my references, as in I may not need to speak with you because the candidate is asking WAY too much money. My reference forwarded me the email so I saw it with my own eyes. Completely unprofessional and not a place I ever want to work. Am considering reporting to her manager how terrible she has been to work with.

Interview Questions

Salary was too low, HR was a disaster, would have been a commute, no work from home options.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA (US)).

Interview

Two telephonic interviews- one with HR and the other with hiring manger. On site interview was almost full day interview that included presentation, group interview, 1:1 and lab tour. People from different sub groups interacted with me during the interview. It started with basic question and lead to trouble shooting questions.

Interview Questions

• Mainly from your resume. Asked about couple of trouble shooting scenarios.   Answer Question

Graduate Prgoram, Waterford Ireland Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a telephonic interview after clearing the assessment. Salary is less than 30K per annum. No offer was made. It was a non-technical interview. She congratulated me for passing the online assessment.

Interview Questions

• Questions primarily focussed on citizenship and visa as I am non-European union student.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genzyme.

Interview

Met at a career fair and applied online. Interviewed with HR representative that week.Know your resume and your involvements. Be able to talk about your activities and involvements. There are behavioral questions and technical questions as well.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was being able to convey my technical skills.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Genzyme in September 2014.

Interview

Showed up at Framingham site,supposed to meet 5 people for a half hour each... First person I was to interview with never showed up, so Im sitting in Lobby and HR woman meets me, telling me she will find somebody for me to meet with. A guy comes and meets me and takes me to interview room, he tells me he's not from department so doesn't know anything about the job, so half hour with him turns out to be nothing but chit chat as he's more interested in his iPhone in front of him. He leaves the room telling me somebody will be in within a minute - 20 minutes go by before the next interview comes in, again her iPhone in front of her. Finish 10 mins with her and in walks HR woman I had originally met with - credit her she had my resume only in front of her, she leaves after half hour and in walks head of department - 30 some guy who looks and acts exhausted and stressed out, again his smartphone on desk in front of him……I have to say place was most unprofessional organization I have ever seen.

Pharmaceutical Specialty Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Received email from hiring mgr bout setting up phone screen 1st thing in the morning. I accomodated her request & her following request to meet f2f (again 1st thing in the morning) at a location that typically takes an hour without traffic (in this case took me over an hour each way). She had told me ahead of time that it would be really informal in a coffee shop. This was not the case! Your typical STAR/situational/behavior-based interview. Thought it went ok, as she seemed to bring up examples of how her background was very similar (i.e. reason for making a change). Went above & beyond w/ ty email, mailed hand-written ty note, & put together a couple of PP presentations (including an action plan). Only response I received was almost a month later - a one liner saying they were proceeding w/ other candidates. Offer would have been contingent on them receiving FDA clearance on Lemtrada & there were supposedly 4 openings in my area. Seemed as if she was looking for someone who already had relationships in MS market. However, it seems as if companies like this no longer honor non-competes and/or don't want to train reps.

Interview Questions

• What neurologists do you have a relationship with?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Genzyme.

Interview

I was hired during the peak of consultant hiring period. So, the interview process was brief. A quick telephone interview with a few good questions I was hired. The HR did a good job on pre-screen things. The job offer paper work is formal and complete. The whole process took about two weeks.

Principal Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Cambridge, MA (US)).

Interview

The hiring process was quiet smooth and quick as I was called in for face to face interview directly without a phone screening. I had a small general conversation with one of the HR rep within a week of applying for this position. All in all a smooth experience and all the interviewers were very professional. I actually got the denial email from hiring manager and also got feedback on my interview performance and areas of improvement. Based on that conversation I believe I did make a cut but somebody was better than me else you normally don't hear back from the hiring manager and definitely not a feedback on your performance.

Interview Questions

• All the questions asked were standard questions, in fact the interview was more of a conversation than an interview.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA (US)).

Interview

Meet with multiple people. Start with HR, then Hiring manager, then the rest of the team. Scientists individually, but associates are grouped together as a tribunal. Then back to HR. For second interview, you will meet director team again, maybe will give small seminar.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Genzyme doesn't require a formal psych evaluation style interview that places like Merck use. Basically you will be asked about your experience etc. and things relevant to the actual position write up.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Definitely negotiate. The offer is below market and if you accept it, that salary will blunt your future salary raises/promotions for your career.

Principal Production Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genzyme (Framingham, MA (US)).

Interview

I was an internal transfer, so I met with the Plant Manager to discuss the position. I submitted my resume to HR and they processed the paperwork to move me into my new role. The interview process for external applicants is much more detailed and complex. You will need to submit your resume online, and you will be contacted by HR if they are interested. Typically you will go through multiple interview sessions before a hiring decision is made. You can negotiate your salary, but there are salary ranges for each job level, and they will not typically exceed the maximum amount for the grade.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since this was an internal transfer, the negotiation phase was simple. The position was one level higher than my current job, so a slight pay increase was added to my salary.