General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.4

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Mainly behavorial questions. Nothing too difficult. Had two back to back interviews same day with two different managers. No technical questions but be sure to admit you don't know something instead of pretending like you do. It seemed very fast paced but it covered a broad range of interview questions. Mainly, "Name a time where a fellow teammate performed poorly." Or "What was the most challenging task you have ever completed?"

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Questions
    The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question
    After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Software Developer Interview

There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Questions
    • They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I countered, and GM said no.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in November 2013.

Easy going, laid back process. They asked the typical questions of "When have you been faced with a problem and how did you overcome it?"

I chose to go to a company where I was going to learn SharePoint Development

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

From the time I first applied online until I received an offer was about 35 days. Initial screening interview, technical phone interview, on-site interview (two sessions). Interviews are conversational and there isn't much preparation needed. Just know your resume and be able to share situational experience. Rcvd phone offer 4 days later

Interview Questions
    • If you like to do many things like develop and lead and test, they will ask you to choose one. They will also ask you if there is anything that you hate to do. My hate was "write technical documentation" and the interviewer seemed to sympathize with me.   Answer Question
    I documented my requests for more base salary and they were all turned down. Basically, they give you a salary figure and you either take it or leave it. They say they will entertain requests, but I felt like they were just saying that because they came back very quickly with "no" to several different scenarios.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Questions
    • They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Low Offer

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!