General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr, 2015
Updated 13 Apr, 2015

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Career Fair. They are basically looking for people with good CGPA and communication skills. All behavioral questions in the first round. Interview was on campus. The recruiter was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It was a very positive experience. Waiting for the second round. Shall update once I'm done.

Interview Questions

• 1) Strength
      2) Most difficult project ?
      3) Risk you took ?
      4) Project you approached incorrectly ?
      5) Why GM ?

Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

The worst kind of recruiting team I have seen. I got called each time by a new person and they have no record of who I spoke with before. They send me meeting invitations with wrong time and with wrong job titles. I ended up missing an interview due to the mistakes made by the recruiter. Finally I sent an email to them stating that just based on the interview process, I am not interested in GM any more. The hiring manager that spoke to me before personally called me and assured me that if I reconsider GM, she herself will handle all the interview scheduling. And she did. I attended a technical interview after that. I was surprised that it turned out to be a behavior test than a technical interview. Two of the interviewers who talked to me one after another.. asked me the exact same questions. And even the 2 technical questions they asked are exactly the same. Surprisingly, their answers are not logical. When I opened a discussion about the answers and their reasoning about it, they did not follow through the conversation. Its almost like they have book of questions and answers.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to store critical data like password in a char array rather than String?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

GM came to the University of Utah recruiting for their new IT centers. After visiting their booth at a career fair, I was offered the first interview simply by being in the MSIS program and having a 3.0+ GPA. I interviewed on campus later that day. Interview was mostly behavioral questions. I was extended a second interview offer at the conclusion of the first interview. Second interview was a week later on campus, with a mix of behavioral and technical questions relating to database schema design (I was interviewing for a Data Analyst position). Both people I interviewed with were pleasant and helpful. I was told that I would be informed of GM's decision sometime in the next three weeks. Two weeks later I received a call with an offer of employment in Phoenix, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe one experience where you did not perform well at work, and what did you do afterwards?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate salary, as I felt the offer was generous, and I am a fresh graduate student out of school with little actual experience relating to the job functions.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors (Tallahassee, FL (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

1:1 interview, questions about how you overcome challenges but answers are expected to be in relation to IT/ building websites and such. Questions about back end server work and inner and outer joins were more memorable questions that I remember. The guy that was interviewing me was all business.

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

The entire interview was 5 hours long. I interviewed with 2 different managers from the same department, and each interview lasted about one hour. The remainder of the time was spent visiting some of the facilities. Both managers were knowledgeable and very pleasant to talk to. The interview focused on my past experience and how I handled different situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a situation that you were in and you have never experienced before and how did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

ETL Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

When GM was first building up their IT in 2012, they were hiring fast and furiously. You would first receive a phone interview, and then a 1x1 interview with 3 different managers (none of which that might actually be the manager you end up with). GM requires the use of the Lominger Interview process, which does not really get into technical questions that are specific to the job. Additionally, it was not uncommon for GM to "reassign" you to another position or team than what was originally advertised; consequently, many new hires (specifically, college hires) would end up in an area that they might not have any experience or interest in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you <insert some undesirable situation, like making a bad decision on the job>, how you handled it, what you learned from it and how you'd handle a similar situation in the future.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

2 one on one interviews that were very comfortable and mostly behavioral at first. Then more analytical questions were added into the interview but none that were too challenging. Then two more interviews followed and a financial modeling test.

Market Research Interview

Interview

The hiring process involved two rounds with two interviews each round. The interviews were all behavior and fit questions. For the behavior interviews be sure to follow a STAR response

Interview Questions

• No technical questions but be ready to outline your biggest professional challenge and a person weakness   Answer Question

GET Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

First round was a written test which had both technical and aptitude questions to be solved in an hour. Since i was from ECE questions were from my own background. Interviewer will solely focus on your technical knowledge and nothing else.

BI Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I never even interviewed. They saw my resume and gave me an offer. It was too easy. The college hiring at GM is on steroids. They are going to every university and picking up students even though the current employees don't have enough work.

Negotiation

No negotiation for college hires