General Motors

Updated 25 Nov, 2014
Updated 25 Nov, 2014

2.8

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Process took about 3 weeks. Visit them at multiple events and career fairs. Interviewed with them and the questions were pretty standard. Only one technical question. Very laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which something did not turn out how you planned.   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Met recruiters through school career fair. Had a short (30m) interview the following day on campus. Basic behavioral questions - "why did you pick your school?"; "why computer science?"; "tell me about a time..." Many STAR interview type questions - recruiters interested in how you applied classroom knowledge. Had a second round interview which was effectively more of the first, also short, and also on campus. Got an offer about 2 weeks later.

Two weeks to accept offer. Still in process of negotiation, but I plan to accept regardless.

Associate Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

I was recruited at campus recruiting. Went through a basic screen (non-technical). I made it to the interview and it was largely behavioral, but they did ask about project I had worked on and we discussed technical aspects. No random questions about beam bending or anything, just about what I had worked on and put on my resume. They also flew potential hires out to Michigan, which was honestly a lot of fun and very informative.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe a time that I had to publicly admit to making a mistake.   View Answer

It was a really really good offer, but I wanted to stay in California.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

I applied through my school website and got an on campus interview that was 1 hour and 30 minutes long. It consisted of two back to back interviews that were 45 minutes each. They were mostly behavioral questions and maybe a few technical questions based on what was on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give up something   Answer Question

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had.
    The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions.
    That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense.
    Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   View Answer

CAE Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

General experience questions and situations. A lot of "Give me an example of..." questions. Responses had to fit in a structure and needed to be concise. The structure included: What was the situation?, What actions did you take?, What thought process(es) led you to take those actions?, What was the outcome?, W?hat did you learn from the experience?, When have you applied it since?. The interview was with hiring managers that stayed away from technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me an example of a time you had to motivate or work closely with an individual from a different culture."   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors.

I had 2 on campus interviews with General Motors over the course of a week. The first interview was strictly behaviorally based. They require you to answer their questions with a STAR response framework in mind. The second interview was behavioral as well, with one technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of cars from the US and their miles per gallon, and a list of cars from Europe with their kilometers per hour, how would you determine which car has the best gas mileage.   Answer Question

Coop Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Was contacted as a result of the career fair, interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week. Interview consisted of speaking with an engineer in the area of interest about experiences in which I have been able to gain experience, etc. Use the STAR system for interviews

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you didn't have all the tools to solve a problem?   Answer Question
    • When is a time when you had to overcome an obstacle to proceed forward?   Answer Question

Entry Level - Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Gave my resume at a Career Fair, was offered a more private interview. The interview was composed of usual behavioral interview questions, nothing technical. Interviewer was open to questions, talked about why GM was bringing back IT jobs to America. Got a free shirt.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you first attempt failed, what did you do?   Answer Question

Entry-Level Data Analytics Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

General Motors came to my school and interviewed interested students with a 3.0 GPA or above and who were about to graduate with a degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Information Technology. They were hiring for positions at their new IT innovation centers. I had two interviews. One was more behavioral and asked questions such as "what is the biggest risk you have ever taken and how did it work out?", etc. They were not very challenging and the women interviewing me was very kind and professional. My second interview (both lasted an hour) was still behavioral but had a few technical questions. It is important to keep the thoughts simple when you are answering these because they are just trying to see how you think - not a full blown answer that takes a half hour to explain. Overall they were very professional and the company seems to have a lot to offer. You can expect to hear back from them within a few weeks. I would highly recommend doing anything possible to help make yourself stand out in a positive way since they usually interview quite a bit of people for these entry-level positions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question that was asked of me was the technical question about building a table in a database. Although I knew I could answer it I was attempting to be way too detailed and technical. I would have been much better off keeping it simple and thinking it out for a little bit longer in my head.   Answer Question