General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct, 2014
Updated 17 Oct, 2014

2.8

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Phone interview that was technical...lasted an hour. In person interview followed a couple of weeks later. Company overview with an HR person followed by two interviews with managers...about an hour each. As others have mentioned this was more about how you handle different situations...no real technical questions. Nice office space, nice people, but everyone is fairly new. It's hard to tell what the things will be like over the next couple of years.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do differently in a difficult situation that I had just described where I was unhappy with the outcome?   View Answer

Code Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

The entire interview is a behavior based interview format (Lominger). No code writing is asked, and the interview is a breeze if you have good experiences and aren't abnormal. Be prepared to have a long list of things you've worked on in your head, especially where you have failed or had issues with people and how you overcame them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you failed at something at a company. (there are then 5 follow up questions such as how you overcame it, what was the end result, were you ever able to apply what you learned at a later time?)   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all for me, but other had better luck.

Associate Creative Designer Interview

Recruited during school, brought in for interview with executive leaders, offered job on the spot. They were ready to hire based on three years of design relationship building during school. Not sure of process beyond that.

Cyber Security Incident Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call from the recruiter about 4 days later. Haven't heard anything yet, but keeping my fingers crossed. My recruiter is not representing GM very well makes you think if this is the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question, I was my own worst enemy due to my interview anxiety   View Answer

Assembler/Worker SPO Plant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, MS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, MS (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Put in application in August 2013. Never heard anything until June 2014. Just got a call from them unexpectedly. Had a job already but went ahead and told them I was still interested. They set up appointment for test & phone interview. Went to company to do a stimulation test and a written multiple choice test. Had a 10 minute phone interview. Waiting on call for drug test.

Interview Questions
    • 2 questions (tell me about a time) had to change routine
      3rd was a hypothetically... 5 people, 5 stations, had to rotate, 1 person slowed down production, tell me how you would handle it
        View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

I got a callback from a recruiter seem to pretty impressed with me. It wasn't for a few weeks that I found out they were canceling the job. The interview probably took about fifteen minutes. He said he would give my interview to hiring manager but nothing came of it.

.NET Software Developer - Sales and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Phone Interview - This was with the Lead Developer on the team. As others have mentioned, the STAR methodology is used heavily. Very few technical questions, and those asked were fairly basic (Describe the MVC pattern, what is viewstate used for, how would you select only 10 rows in SQL Server).

In-Person Interview - Received an invite for in-person interview shortly after phone interview. Before meeting with interviewers, I was greeted by an HR person who took myself and another applicant to a conference room to watch an intro video about GM. Not sure what it was about the HR person, but he wore me out after listening to him for 15-20 minutes. The video was pretty a much a sales pitch for working at GM.

After the video, I was taken into a small room and interviewed 1-on-1 with a hiring manager. Again, behaviorial questions were asked, very few tech questions. Hiring manager didn't seem interested right from the start -- made me think he was going through the motions and already had a candidate selected.

Second interview was with another hiring manager. He asked very similar questions to the first interviewer and also asked about my experience using certain JavaScript frameworks - Durandal, Node, JQuery, etc.

All-in-all, it was a fairly comfortable experience. Didn't feel like I was being "grilled", as is the technique for many other companies hiring developers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project where part or all of the project had to be reworked or scrapped.   View Answer

Design Release Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview about about an hour. Asked questions from interview posted on website. Know Lominger competences and have a scenario prepared for each. STAR format with what you learned and how to apply it

Interview Questions
    • Since I answered every question in the guide so nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Lead Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Applied to several jobs that looked interesting over many months. Received a call back and phone interview for one, but no request for on-site interview. Finally, one of my friends got hired and with his recommendation I was contacted about a Lead Developer position. Did the phone interview. Followed up with on-site. Then an offer

Interview Questions
    • On the phone and on-site the interviewer asked several situational problem solving questions eliciting me to respond with examples from my own work experience. However, on-site they also gave me a coding test with requirements for small programs and 4 SQL statements. The requirements were simple, but more academic than real world. (I have never been paid to write a Fibonacci code generator or a Palindrome detector) Anyone who has been out of college for 20+ plus years would require at least 10 minutes per question just to dust of the cob webs, and the test had a 30 minute time limit.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate as they offered me what I asked for. However, if you make it this far and they don't offer you what you asked for, I recommend you negotiate. They need a lot of good people, and if you get past their screening process you are good, and they cannot afford to screw with you over money.

Financial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

I applied through other source – interviewed at General Motors.

I was recommended by the last intern who worked there and after submitting my cv I got the chance to do the interview, which is a group interview with other two candidates. We were asked to make a plan within budget as a group and discuss before HR and present the final result to them.

Interview Questions
    • the plan was to design a trip which aims to encourage and unite the employers through a group trip. and the most difficult one is to meet everyone's interest and make the group members feel closer.   Answer Question

the internship is at least six months but i had to go abroad and study at that time