General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details two interviews, nice lady, followed the Star method of interviewing.

Interview Question – Tell me About yourself   Answer Question

Finance Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in December 2010.

Interview Details Friend gave resume to hiring manager, was the contacted by hiring manager to come to Ren Cen for interviews. Standard situational type questions with hiring manager, and then his manager. Final step was to come back once more to meet CFO of group. The next day was contacted by HR with offer. Except that this took place before and after Christmas holiday, process would have been completed within 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Asked specific question about approval process at company was leaving   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, I told them what I wanted

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details It is a behavioral interview which means they are looking for you to explain situations where you overcame adversity. There is no white boarding or in depth technical review but there was high level discussion of the technologies they are looking for. The main goal seems to be testing how well I worked with others. During the interview I first meet with a developer, and then a PM. The interview concluded with a very brief meeting with the director for that area.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to report something negative about a coworker.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Me: I want more money; Them: No; Me: I really want more money; Them: how a about a small bump in the offer and a signing bonus. Me: ok!

Social Media Interview

Detroit, MI (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Through a recruiter at Aerotek I was contacted to go in for an interview with GM. I arrived at the GM headquarters in downtown and was lead to 17th floor after checking with the front desk. I was given a tour of where I would be working as I entered and exited. The questions they asked were simple and standard.

Interview Question – What is your dream job?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Upper Darby, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details I'd like a phone interview, then a one to one interview in person

Negotiation Details – It was for a telemarketing compny. No benefits since it was PT.

Senior Buyer Interview

Warren, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details FAST-By all accounts! Applied online on 6/6/2013. Within an hour after I applied, I was contacted for a phone screen. We walked through my resume, typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. We talked salary. Then I was advised of a hiring event in Warren on 6/29. Then I was contact about 2 weeks later that I would be interviewing. Among my best interview performance of my life! I was made an offer the following Monday.

Negotiation Details – None. GM typically does not negotiate. Whatever the $$number was pre-interview is what they will offer. I have heard twice where an applicant mentioned another employer offer as way to negotiate, & GM declined. I pushed the phone interview person hard to max my number.

Lead Engineer Interview

Warren, MI (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in January 2013.

Interview Details Lominger Interview process used for new hires

Interview Question – Tell me time when you disagreed with your management and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical HR hiring process used by large companies

Laborer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at General Motors in January 2010.

Interview Details Very formal. Interview lasted one hour. Asked about physical demands of job, if I could manage. Told of overtime.

Interview Question – Can you read and write?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No nego.

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Spoke with a group of developers at a university career fair and gave them a copy of my resume. A few weeks later I received a phone call to set up an in person interview on campus. The interview was a few weeks later. At the time of the actual interview there were little to no technical questions. There were three sections of mostly behavioral questions. Things like how do deal with a person who is a problem in a work situation.

Interview Question – There were no real technical questions. Almost all behavioral questions. How would you react in this or that situation? What is your process when solving new problems?   Answer Question

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Senior Research Engineer
Warren, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Interview Details numerous lengthy behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Give an example when you had to persuade your manager/coworker   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors