General Motors

272 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Digital Marketing Interview

Oshawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Was called in for an interview after applying for a job 2 months ago. Was told ahead of time about the format which was going to be incredibly formal with a series of pre-approved questions from HR for the first round. After this initial in person interview, it took another month before I received a phone call from someone in HR at a US based office. They informed me I was a finalist and verified some of my information. Yet another month later, was informed they were not pursuing my candidacy after all. Overall, the process was very confusing and time consuming - seems like there is a big disconnect between hiring departments.

Interview Question – All the questions were scenario based so be prepared with examples - however, the one that got me in particular was about a task that had failed or gone wrong and how it was dealt with. I gave an scenario that was team based and they specifically needed a personal failure. Not to toot my own horn but I struggled to give an example where I alone failed in a situation.   Answer Question

Design Release Engineer Interview

Oshawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2010.

Interview Details Behavioral interviews

Interview Question – Behavioral interviews on many different aspects   Answer Question

TPT Interview

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Hiring decision made based on resume without an interview.

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details There was one interview. Was sat in a group of others who were also being interviewed (for different positions) in a room where a brief presentation on what GM was about took place. Then I was interviewed by two engineers, one at a time. The questions generally took the STAR interview approach.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you had to solve a problem where others before you had failed.   Answer Question

Engineering Specialist Interview

Oshawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors in January 2011.

Interview Details Applied on linked in. Was contacted by email after about 4 months. It took several weeks to arrange an interview and several more to get hired. The original job was lost because management pulled the role and postponed hiring. The interview itself is a modified version of the Star model. They want to know what you learned from your individual experiences.

Interview Question – No technical questions to speak of. All behavioural, just look them up online   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate with contract employees. They assign a budget to your contract house and you negotiate with them. My contract house tells me that they get about 13% margin on me.

Design and Release Engineer Interview

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details I applied through their official online portal. At the time I was only warming up to the job search process. I was surprised to get a phone interview. A HR recruiter called me. Very professional and cordial. Started asking me questions about skills relating to the position. He seemed to like the fact that I had most of the qualifications, and in a way encouraged me to answer positively on the ones that I was border-line. We did a couple of email follow-ups, and that ended up being the end of the process.

Interview Question – Nothing that I can think of. Just keep your calm, and don't appear overly eager or too disinterested.   Answer Question

Camy Assemply Interview

Hamilton, ON

I applied through college or university and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details It's an internship position. Interviewed with 2 supervisors of the plant.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you gathered lot of information   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor
Oshawa, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in July 2010.

Interview Details Met with a number of management associates and was asked behavioural type questions based on past experiences. The interview was set up through a recruiter and was to work on a contract basis. It was not very difficult however I was not offered the job so I guess I either didn't have the experience or answered a question incorrectly.

Interview Question – How have you gone above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction?   Answer Question

Advanced Energy Systems Engineer Interview

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Applied through my school's internship program. Asked me personal questions about teamwork and leadership.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult really.   Answer Question

Stamping Co-op Student Interview

Waterloo, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in November 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview. Department production manager and HR head interviewed me and took approximately 45 minutes to ask questions. The questions asked were mostly the behavioral type questions, of which there were about 6 of them. I was then asked to ask questions to the manager.

During that day, 6 other people were interviewed for the same position.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked in a heavily unionized environment? What are the unique challenges that you expect to face in such a shop?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no option to negotiate. The company sent me its

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors interview questions and advice. All 272 interview reviews are posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.