General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details A 1-to-1 behavior interview over the phone. It's following the STAR approach typically used in behavior interviews. You need to give examples for each questions they asked. The interview lasted about an hour long.

Interview Question – "How did you deal with a difficult person?"   Answer Question

MArketing CoOp Interview

MArketing CoOp

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details The interview is on campus and it last for about 40 minutes. The two managers are very kind and we had a great talk. It is really a talk I think. No behavior questions or academic questions. Just talk what you want to talk.

Interview Question – No difficult question.   Answer Question

Production Group Leader Interview

Production Group Leader
Oshawa, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied through a co-op office and received a call for interview within a week. The 30 minute interview was conducted by 2 interviewers at the company. Interview begins with general description of the company, as well as some brief questions to assess your work elegibility. They then move on to 3 behavioural questions that are tied to the position, and must be answered in Situation-Task-Action-Result format. Conclude with a Q&A session.

Reason for Declining – Accepted another position as part of my co-op program.

Digital Marketing Interview

Digital Marketing
Oshawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Was called in for an interview after applying for a job 2 months ago. Was told ahead of time about the format which was going to be incredibly formal with a series of pre-approved questions from HR for the first round. After this initial in person interview, it took another month before I received a phone call from someone in HR at a US based office. They informed me I was a finalist and verified some of my information. Yet another month later, was informed they were not pursuing my candidacy after all. Overall, the process was very confusing and time consuming - seems like there is a big disconnect between hiring departments.

Interview Question – All the questions were scenario based so be prepared with examples - however, the one that got me in particular was about a task that had failed or gone wrong and how it was dealt with. I gave an scenario that was team based and they specifically needed a personal failure. Not to toot my own horn but I struggled to give an example where I alone failed in a situation.   Answer Question

Design Release Engineer Interview

Design Release Engineer
Oshawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2010.

Interview Details Behavioral interviews

Interview Question – Behavioral interviews on many different aspects   Answer Question

TPT Interview

TPT

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Hiring decision made based on resume without an interview.

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details There was one interview. Was sat in a group of others who were also being interviewed (for different positions) in a room where a brief presentation on what GM was about took place. Then I was interviewed by two engineers, one at a time. The questions generally took the STAR interview approach.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you had to solve a problem where others before you had failed.   Answer Question

Engineering Specialist Interview

Engineering Specialist
Oshawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors in January 2011.

Interview Details Applied on linked in. Was contacted by email after about 4 months. It took several weeks to arrange an interview and several more to get hired. The original job was lost because management pulled the role and postponed hiring. The interview itself is a modified version of the Star model. They want to know what you learned from your individual experiences.

Interview Question – No technical questions to speak of. All behavioural, just look them up online   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate with contract employees. They assign a budget to your contract house and you negotiate with them. My contract house tells me that they get about 13% margin on me.

Design and Release Engineer Interview

Design and Release Engineer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details I applied through their official online portal. At the time I was only warming up to the job search process. I was surprised to get a phone interview. A HR recruiter called me. Very professional and cordial. Started asking me questions about skills relating to the position. He seemed to like the fact that I had most of the qualifications, and in a way encouraged me to answer positively on the ones that I was border-line. We did a couple of email follow-ups, and that ended up being the end of the process.

Interview Question – Nothing that I can think of. Just keep your calm, and don't appear overly eager or too disinterested.   Answer Question

Camy Assemply Interview

Camy Assemply
Hamilton, ON

I applied through college or university and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details It's an internship position. Interviewed with 2 supervisors of the plant.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you gathered lot of information   Answer Question

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!