Genentech

Updated 16 Nov, 2014

3.2

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in November 2014.

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science.

Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions
    • Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   View Answer
    This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Summer R&D Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Applied through university recruiter. Asked to write an essay on the Roche Purpose Statement and what that meant for Genentech's company culture. Contacted for interview within a couple of days of submitting application. 2 young interviewers, very friendly. Conversational interview with both technical and behavioral questions, emphasize use of STAR. Typical "tell me about yourself".

Interview Questions
    • How might you go about purifying a protein from cell culture? Tell me about a time you had to maintain professionalism under pressure.   Answer Question

Foundation Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

They conduct behavioral interviews. You need to pull from your work experience and recall times you used problem solving.

In your answers always give the Situation, the Steps You took and the Outcome.

Interviews will most likely be conducted by 2 Supervisors. If they ask you for a second interview, it is likely that most of the Supervisors will attend.

Interview Questions
    • Please recall a time you had a difficult customer. How did you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    HR calls you and tells you what the hourly pay will be. They might say that there is no negotiation but you should try negotiating anyways.

Intake Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Applied through a recruiting agency. First, I had to take an online simulation test. Very straight forward and simple, as long as you pay attention. Interviewed in person with two managers. No introduction, just asked three situational questions. Not too difficult but be prepared to come up with specific examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation when being a "great-listener" benefited you at your previous job?   Answer Question

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

Phone followed for 3 rounds of F 2 F.it lasted nearly 3 hours.One on one during the first 2 rounds then panel interview.Very professional.gave their current scenarios and operational issues and asked what would be my take on it.

Great experience though

Interview Questions
    • About my previous experiences and how I resolved those   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Genentech in September 2014.

In general it was lovely meeting everyone. Questions were relatively general and unrehearsed. Personable directors and peers. I'm not sure why there was no offer. They seemed to like my background and thought we connected for the first round of 5 interviews. In general don't expect it to be a rehearsed performance. I believe this area is very busy.

QA Assicuate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

First is a 30min phone interview that focus on technical questions associated with the position. After the initial screening is complete, it's a 2hr long in person interview with 4-5 people. It has both technical and behavioral questions.

Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

I got an email from HR that they want to interview me. I had an interview with the manager and the team. I was 3 hour interview. Most of the questions were technical and few situational questions. It has been few days now and I am still waiting to hear back

Ra Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

It is an video interview and only lasts 10 mins. I was asked about 5 Qs, all of them are behavior questions. I was not very well prepared. I thought they may ask some other questions related to my background which they did not ask.

Clinical Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech in August 2014.

Initial interview is a video interview approximately 22 minutes long if they like your resume. Then a series of other interviews. First in person interview may be with approximately 2 people. The next is with a panel of 5 people. Be prepared to do a mock role play on the products you are interviewing to sell. You will get emailed studies to learn and sell from. Also, be prepared to ride with one or two of their sales people for at least half a day so they can continue to get to know you. Then one or two more interviews after that. Genetech likes the STAR technique for interviewing. Answer with Situation, Task, Activity, and Result. (Research this online if not familiar with technique) One employee I rode with told me that they are a cult not a culture. By the time that was said to me it was apparent. Make sure you really want a position with this company prior to the interview process because if you are currently employed you will need to take a lot of time off to interview with this company.

Interview Questions

The "cult" statement really bothered me plus I was to be selling "me too" drugs. During my ride alongs with their best reps I was not impressed (overall, the reps seemed disengaged and exasperated) and neither were the physicians with the products they were selling.