Garmin

Updated 29 Dec, 2014
Updated 29 Dec, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

smooth process, the basic HR questions. ask some questions about your resume and almost questions you could find in the website. And there are many videos in the website about these kind of questions. you could find them in the youtube. The answers are already in the website

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions
    • The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Software Engineer Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions
    • What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in November 2014.

Met with HR Recruiter during a campus visit. E-mailed me within a week to schedule a phone interview which took place the next week.

Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mostly behavioral (Describe projects you've worked on, most favorite and least favorite classes, etc.) along with one technical question. Received an e-mail exactly one week later inviting me for an on-site interview.

On-site interview consisted of a initial meeting with HR, two technical interviews, lunch tour, and then one more technical interview. The technical interviews were with three different groups, two from aviation and one from outdoor. I brought one of my school projects along with me and was very enthusiastic about showing it to them, and in the aviation interviews we even spent more than half the time talking about it. Other questions given to me were basic Operating Systems and C coding questions.

Received a call two weeks later (there was a holiday weekend in there somewhere) with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • -Count the number of set bits in an integer
      -Find all odd values in the array and make them even (array and array length are arguments)
      --(Follow up) How would you do the previous question without a for loop?
      -Describe the purpose of a Semaphore
      -Describe how multi-threading works

Answer Question
    They were very open to negotiations and I was able to get the offer raised by about 6%.

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Garmin.

I gave them my resume at school career fair. They contacted me after a few weeks to fill out the online application and schedule for a phone interview. The interview took half an hour. They just basically went through my resume and asked some questions related to my school work.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

Let me first say that getting hired on at Garmin happens by complete luck. Their application/interview process is horrible, rude and unprofessional.

I originally applied for other positions within the company but was rejected in all cases. Eventually i applied as a replenishment associate because I had 10+ years experience in all fields they were interested in. The interview process consisted of a phone interview where behavioral questions are the norm. If you pass this screening you get an onsite interview that typically involves meeting with the HR recruiter. If the recruiter likes you then you'll meet with the hiring manager.

If you don't meet or exceed all of their expected AND desired qualifications don't even bother applying. You'll get an informal generic rejection letter via email a few days after applying. Even if they fly you out for an interview....if they go in a different direction you'll get the same bland generic auto generated rejection email from their HR department. No explanation, no nothing. In my opinion this is horribly unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Garmin is very take it or leave it. They don't negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied through a career fair. I was contacted by a recruiter and completed two initial interviews that were mostly behavioral. (Times you worked on a team? A situation where you didn't know how to solve a problem... how did you solve it? etc) Then I completed a technical interview. The technical interview involved them asking about my experiences, general questions about programming, then going to the board for a few problems.

Mechanical Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

application->phone Interview-> on-site interview+tour

Here are some questions asked during on-site interview

-Introduce yourself
    -Have you used any Garmin products
    -What do you like about Garmin
    -What motivates you at work
    -Strength and weakness
    -Teamwork experience

All three interviewers were taking notes either on papers or laptops.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

I applied online. I heard back within the week and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview. I did not realize how technical phone interview was, and was not prepared for the questions, so they did not continue the process. The interview began with very basic questions, but moved into more complex questions about object oriented programming and C++. If I were to do it over, I would have reviewed different terms related to C++.