Garmin Interview Questions

Updated 12 Oct, 2014
Updated 12 Oct, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied through a career fair. I was contacted by a recruiter and completed two initial interviews that were mostly behavioral. (Times you worked on a team? A situation where you didn't know how to solve a problem... how did you solve it? etc) Then I completed a technical interview. The technical interview involved them asking about my experiences, general questions about programming, then going to the board for a few problems.

Mechanical Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

application->phone Interview-> on-site interview+tour

Here are some questions asked during on-site interview

-Introduce yourself
    -Have you used any Garmin products
    -What do you like about Garmin
    -What motivates you at work
    -Strength and weakness
    -Teamwork experience

All three interviewers were taking notes either on papers or laptops.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Previously had a recommendation from a former intern to check the company out at one of their on-campus events, and specifically who to talk to. At the event, I spoke with a rep and we talked about some past work specific to hardware design. The first technical interview was scheduled the next day. It involved some more in depth conversation about relevant work and working through some simple electronic circuits - op amp, MOSFETs, diodes, filters...wasn't 100% on everything but the idea was to demonstrate the problem solving process.

On site interview was 2 weeks later. After an HR interview, I spoke with some managers where we did a similar interview as before, including some more circuit worksheets. Afterwards, there was a campus tour.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview was challenging but not unexpected.   Answer Question

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Interview lasted about 45 minutes. Be careful how you answer your questions as the person who interviewed me took what I said out of context. When asked my favorite part of my last job I advised that since I worked from home I enjoyed that I was not micromanaged and that it allowed me to flourish creatively. At the end of the interview he summarized that I do not like to be managed and that I do not enjoy working as a team. I am not sure how he got that out of what I said so it is obviously a diluted interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what you would do if someone calls you with an error code.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in September 2014.

Met a recruiter at University career fair. Gave them my resume and got a call that night asking if I wanted to come in for an interview in a couple of days. I had one on campus interview with both recruiters that was about an hour long. Got an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Played Mastermind with the interviewer. Very easy. Wasted one line but I noticed it instantly and told the interviewer. Got a somewhat lucky first guess and had a very quick solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin in July 2014.

I didn't hear from Garmin about their interest in me until about a month and a half after I applied. After that I had a phone interview which was 30 min and very relaxed, the interviewer asked about my resume and a time I had to walk a customer through a trouble shooting experience. That was Thursday, I didn't get a call to set up an in person interview until the next Monday. The on-site interview hour and a half long with three different people, two managers and an HR rep, after that they had me tour the facilities and then sit in on a few calls with one of their employees.

Interview Questions
    • How are you technically minded?
      Where do see yourself in 5 years?
      Talk about an experience where you walked the customer through a technical experience.
      What do you do when the customer holds a very hostile attitude towards you?
        Answer Question

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin in June 2014.

I was contacted by HR about three weeks after I applied for the job. We set up the HR interview for the following week. The time came and past. Three hours after it was supposed to happen, I emailed HR to ask if I misunderstood the time of the meeting. They told me the interview did not populate on their calendar and asked to set up another conversation. After, what I thought, a successful basic HR phone interview, I was told I would receive an email the following week informing me wether I made it to the next phase or not. It has been 6 weeks, three email followups and two voicemail inquiries--nothing.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was just a guided tour of what was on my resume. Nothing outrageous or alarming.   Answer Question

Internet Applications Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview through invitation. One HR round, One technical round. Both has easy standard questions based on what you have on resume. Technical questions on technologies listed. Some open ended discussion on design patterns and framework

Not much negotiation