Federated Insurance Interview Questions

Updated 24 Mar, 2015

3.3

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance (Owatonna, MN (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

phones interview at first for about 30 minutes then you must turn in your transcripts, second interview you have to take a math and logic test. They will not let you move on if you do not pass the math and logic test

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance (Owatonna, MN (US)).

Interview

I got to the headquarters and was immediately greeted by one of the HR staff. She brought me to a small room with a booklet of awkwardly laid out questions, and an awkwardly looking answer sheet. She gave me 20 minutes to solve 24 problems that are ridiculous for the position I was applying for. They were very confusing math story problems with only variables. You will read a story problem where variables are listed, and you have to select the correct math equation that shows the math.

From the HR Lady: "Most people don't finish."

After completing half of the answers, I received a new set of problems with a 35 minute time limit. It didn't seem too hard. After completing the two tests, an HR rep walked in and said I didn't pass the test, so I couldn't go onto the actual face-to-face interviews. I applied for a software developer, and didn't even get to answer a single question relevant to it.

The test should have been given prior to this "in house" interview. I would recommend making it an online process.

Interview Questions

• Example: "If speed (s) is constant and the percentage of force upon in increases at random (f) what will happen if you multiply the gravitational pull of the moon (m) by s?

That's the style. You would have to provide the formula.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance in February 2015.

Interview

Completed the phone interview which was an hour long interview done by their Vice President of Internal Audit. It was very behavioral question based and conversational towards the end when I was asking questions. Basic interview questions. Tell me about yourself and talk a little about your resume.

Interview Questions

• Why Federated Insurance? Why the Insurance Industry? Do you consider yourself more conservative or progressive?   Answer Question

Entry Level Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance (Apple Valley, MN (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview that lasted 30 min. Got the interview from my university. Federated Insurance seems interested in hiring a lot of entry level developers in the next few months. Used Email to schedule a time to do the phone interview they were flexible with scheduling. I ended up turning down the job because a better offer became available. I second interview was being set up at the time I was offered another job so I declined the interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

Typical interview process. Initially a phone interview and then several private interviews. Spoke to a manager from another work group and the hiring manager. They were all pleasant and professional. Would be a good place to work if you lived in or near Owatonna.

Interview Questions

• Had to take a couple of tests, which included math and process flows. The math test was pretty antiquated.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at a school career fair. Received a call to schedule a phone interview very soon after that. After the phone interview, I was scheduled to come in to take a logic/math test and further my interviews. The day included the test in the morning, which was not bad. I felt rushed through the math portion (24 questions in 20 minutes), but had extra time during the logic portion. If you pass the test, you have one interview with a supervisor, then a tour, and then another interview. The first interview was very casual and the second had a lot of behavioral type questions asking for specific situations. The whole process took about 3.5 hours. They then called to schedule another in-person interview which also includes a job shadow. I will update after I have completed that interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to persuade someone to use your idea.
      Give me an example of a time when you had to confront someone.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

These people reward their employees graciously. During the interview process, they are heavy on personality expectations and testing you to get a feel for what you represent or bring to the company. They love self-driven people.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2014.

Interview

I only went through the very beginning of their hiring process. Their district manager found my resume online and contacted me about the position. After the initial phone call, which was really more of an information session than an interview, he had me take a very lengthy personality test. The results came back favorable and an interview was scheduled with the district and regional managers. Again, this was somewhat informational. We discussed my background and what I was looking for. I also found out that this was essentially the first of 9 interviews they do before hiring someone. The last 3 interviews they conduct with you and your spouse, something I found quite odd. The managers I had contact with were both very personable, professional, and I could tell they genuinely cared about their employees. However, I found their hiring process to be somewhat overbearing and intrusive which highlights that they are looking for an extremely specific kind of person to go to work for them.

Interview Questions

• Requiring three interviews with the candidate and their spouse and asking to check my credit before a job offer was made.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

Pre-testing in HR to test skill needed for position
    Interview consisted of behavioral based questions with the hiring supervisor and her manager present.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

Was first given a phone interview. Phone interview was over my college accomplishments and involvement. Did not go very deep into job history. Was brought in for an in-person interview and given an aptitude test. Everything went well. Waiting for an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in claims?   1 Answer