Federal Government Interview Questions

Updated 19 Aug, 2014

2.8

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied through other source. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Federal Government in March 2012.

written exam including substantive and situational questions. same for the interview. references followed

AS2 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Federal Government in May 2010.

The interview was extremely long, the testing wasn't really relevant to the job itself. They did have some very good questions and they seem to appreciate my experience. They also were very helpful of answering the questions that I was bringing to the table

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer got off topic and we were interrupted by a fire drill   Answer Question

Manager Financial Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Government in January 2010.

Applied in response to a Job Poster
    Wrote a test
    Appeared for an interview
    Was not selected due to lack of experience in areas other than Systems.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example where you showed team player   View Answer

Material Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Federal Government.

HIRED THORUGH RECRUITER, ASKEN QUESTIONS ON BACKGROUND, DRUG USE, WHAT TYPE OF JOB LOOKING FOR.We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

GOT ORDERS

Web Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

Wouldn't try unless you're a U.S. military veteran. I have zero colleagues who got hired who are not vets. Process is straightforward. Of the vets the highest qualified is hired. All things being equal the highest qualified with what's perceived as a good personality is hired. So stay upbeat and positive during interview.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises. All questions are canned: "Tell me a time when ...." Make sure you resume answers all questions because typically specific skill-related questions are not asked. It's presumed you're qualified if you get an interview.   Answer Question
    Based on salary history. If you're a fed transfering there is little negotiation. If you're coming from the outside you might be able to negotiate a few steps, but not grades. Also, do not negotiate work/life until you're on board. Generally, work/life is excellent, so bringing it up during the interview or offer period might impact you getting the job. Or at the very least leave a bad taste in the hiring official's mouht.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Government.

Very grueling. The interview was short and sweet. the initial paperwork and battery of tests took about 8+ hours per day for 3-4 days. Then you get sworn in and issued a badge. Back ground check took weeks. classroom training took about a week and on the job training took several months. Then you get to bid as the lowest seniority person for a shift (Maybe only part time) , and for your days off and work area.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question in the interview.   View Answer
    no. Everything is regulated by the Government, and written in stone.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

The hiring process varies depending on which federal agency or department you work for--and if you have prior government or military experience. USA JOBS the portal / website where all federal opportunities are posted. Although specific organizations also post jobs on their specific websites. Be aware of the window for the application. And also note your application is flagged if either you are too senior or too junior for a position.

Counselor/Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

I found the job online. After searching through several contacts, I luckily found someone that could help me craft a great resume. My best advice is to look into the department you want to work in and find someone already there. Online makes it very easy.

Interview Questions
    • I was hired off my resume and experience. No interview was needed.   Answer Question
    None. It is a pay scale.

Procurement Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA (US)

Be open, polite and yourself. Be honest.

Salary is pre-set in government.

Production Controller Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Government.

I was initially hired after the first interview and worked in my first crew but did not adjust too well there and was sent to another crew. With each position change I had to reinterview and that was okay. I had three different bosses. For the most part the people were okay. My interview questions were never more than about ten questions and usually range from safety to what would I do in the case of an emergency or if I saw an unsafe act. If you see an unsafe act Stop it immediately and go tell someone about it...

Interview Questions
    • There really event any difficult questions during the interview because they are mostly pertaining to things you already know but they may throw something out there like what is an MSDS and where is it located? (btw, its a Material Safety Data sheet and its almost always located in a hallway or near the manager's office)   Answer Question
    there wasn't one. It was pretty cut and dry

Worked for Federal Government? Contribute to the Community!