FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated 29 Jan, 2015
Updated 29 Jan, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

1. Online application which included answering some questions and submitting your CV
    2. Online test (Finance, Numerical). Numerical was very easy. Finance was easy, but you had to know some financial terms and the names of some stock exchanges and indices.
    3. Interview & Excel Test. Interview was pretty easy and conversational. Asked me to describe what Factset does, who were their customers, etc. Also asked about my CV and experiences. Excel test also easy, but I did not know some basic stuff. You should know: freeze panes, vlookup, average & sum & standard deviation formulas, if conditioning to color code some cells.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was easy and the questions were mainly those that are already discussed in this forum. But the interviewer also asked what kind of company information and what sort of companies do Investment Bankers look at for M&A.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Two rounds of interviews. the first one is an one-to-one, the second one is assessment centre which includes Microtech, group exercise and demonstration of Factset platform. The first one is quite easy.
    all based on CV and quite laid back.

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

I applied online. Aplication form is very similar to other companies: answering some questions, information about your education, work experience, if any, etc. After I passed the tests (Finance, Numerical) I was invited to an interview and in-house excel test the following week.With e-mail I was also sent SJT which needed to be compelted and send them back. The interview was average, easy for me as I did some research and was perpared for almost every question.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were not difficult or unexpected at all, like why consultancy, describe th econsultant's day responsibilities, what are the company's clients, what a difference in information are needed for IB and IM.....   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Submitted my resume through online portal, received email for phone interview about a week after. Talked to recruiter on the phone - pretty standard questions - why FactSet, are you proud of your GPA, why finance - basic questions. Was then moved on to the next round in the New York Office...Interviewed with 4 Consulting Managers that day and then went out to lunch with 2 consultants.

Overall, I thought it was a good experience but I was extremely disappointed with my final interview with one of the consulting managers. The interviewer asked me a brain teaser - How many golfballs fit in this room and I was not only caught off guard, but she failed to ask any of the other candidates the same question as well. This position is not a true consulting position like at a McKinsey or Bain, you are basically a big part of the customer support at FactSet so I am unclear why she thought that question was relevant.

First round interview (2 parts):

Part I (Written test):
              Aptitude test, financial & Excel knowledge, and some self evaluation.

Part II (Discussion):

1. Think of something you found interesting, cannot be work experiences though (This part is pretty much self-introduction)
    2. Imaginary task (Tasks most likely not related to Factset's businesses)
    3. Workplace simulation

Interview Questions
    • The written test would be quite difficult to people without solid Excel knowledge.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet.

Written Test and then Technical as well as HR interview. The test was basically focused on 4 areas: Aptitude, English Comprehension, Grammar and Finance. Primary focus was on your Finance knowledge. People with sound Financial knowledge can easily get through it.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

30 minute interview that focused almost entirely on financial questions, which seemed difficult to me, coming from a non-financial background. You need to be very aware of what their products are and how they could be used by their clients. Three tests - numerical, financial and Excel-based. They aren't too hard and you've got plenty of time to complete them.

Interview Questions
    • How would investment bankers use information provided by FactSet to evaluate mergers and acquisitions?   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I applied by submitting the application form, I was then invited to a Google chat interview. The questions varied between competency based and technical questions about the role. In addition to the the standard competency and motivation questions, make sure you have researched the company, what they do and their competitors and be prepared to discuss the role thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions if you go through the previous posts here
      - what is the difference between IM and IB
      - How do these use our software differently

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

We had 3 rounds .
    The first round was an easy one , i was shot with many puzzles and basic computer questions and some basic algorithms .
    Second round was a core technical one which consisted of core Dsa concepts and was then asked about NLP .
    Third round was an intense HR round , was shot on with question one after another non stop .

Interview Questions
    • How the mobile contact search is done and what data structure is used ?   View Answer