Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

3.3

347 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions
  • Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.
        View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
    Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Applied online, recruiter reached out to me and set up a phone interview. The interviewer over the phone was slightly ambiguous and lead me in the wrong directions. However, I think the goal was to really analyze your thinking process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Straight out of cracking the coding interview.
      Reverse a doubly linked list
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview, simply ask some question about resume and then ask coding question. They sent a link to you and use the link to coding. Just one question, the question is typed by them in the link.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree by vertical level order

2 4
      3 5

print :
      1 5
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Two interviews - one on my university campus, one on the nearest Facebook campus. Got back promptly after the second interview. The culture is amazingly open, any intern can look at any piece of code in the company - nothing is secret. Additionally a lot of trust is put in interns and employees.

Interview Questions
    • Standard rotated binary search question. You have a sorted array that has been shifted/cycled, perform a search on it   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation, there seemed to be a formula for salary for interns.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. He set up a call with the relevant FB department.I was not looking actively for a job, so was little under prepared. The interviewer was nice and came across as a knowledgeable hands-on person. Provided a shared hackpad to do the white boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • Was not expecting a simple heap search algorithm implementation.   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!