Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr, 2015
Updated 15 Apr, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I got the interview from the campus recruitment was generally a positive experience. I was asked to code on a whiteboard in front of the interviewer after being asked about my interests . the questions were not too tough and the response was encouraging but I didnt make it . not sure why .

Interview Questions

• how to reverse print a single linked list and questions on different data structures and running time   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online Application, submitted the resume only. Contacted next day for a phone interview.
    After the first interview was schedule for a second phone interview. Finally went for the onsite interview in Menlo Park where there was 3 interview in the same day.

Interview Questions

• Print a binary tree level per level.
       2 3
      4 5 6 7

Would print

2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions

• Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.

6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Vancouver, BC) in March 2012.

Interview

Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
    Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Interview Questions

• implement sqrt without using math libray   8 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

applied online. Contected by recruiter for initial screening in facebook office. When to local fb office, where I waited for few minutes after getting to reception. First, recruiter gave tour of center and talked about perks and then took me to conference room, where I met interviewer whole first discussed about my past projects and then jumped on coding question.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers
      2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5