Facebook

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
Updated 26 Feb, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I got the interview from the campus recruitment was generally a positive experience. I was asked to code on a whiteboard in front of the interviewer after being asked about my interests . the questions were not too tough and the response was encouraging but I didnt make it . not sure why .

Interview Questions
  • how to reverse print a single linked list and questions on different data structures and running time   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Online Application, submitted the resume only. Contacted next day for a phone interview.
    After the first interview was schedule for a second phone interview. Finally went for the onsite interview in Menlo Park where there was 3 interview in the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree level per level.
       2 3
      4 5 6 7

Would print

View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions
    • Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.

View Answers (6)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
    Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Here's my opinion from my experience interviewing at Facebook.

They tell you the process in advance. One phone interview, 5 in house interviews (3 coding, 1 design and 1 behavioural). All interviews are 45 minutes each and one-on-one, and you have to write code in all of the coding interviews, and possibly in the design one too. In the first round, one person decides whether you get through or not. In the 5 rounds, each interviewer provides their feedback after you have finished the interviews which means that if you do badly in one then the other interviewers won't actually know.

Be fully aware, and make no mistake about this - there is an incredibly high possibility that you will get rejected. That sounds harsh but consider it from their position - huge numbers of people apply, huge numbers get interviewed, and they have to pick people out somehow. They also say that they prefer to avoid hiring the wrong person so ultimately they end up inadvertantly rejecting good candidates incase they turn out to be a bad hire, so the risk of getting rejecting is even higher. Basically, this means you are most likely going to be wasting a ridiculous amount of your time and effort. Perhaps because of this, they are incredibly nice and friendly. This really was the nicest and most pleasant interview I have had.

Also, once you understand the scenario, it really helps to kill your nerves if you suffer from that. After all, why stress about something you have practically no chance of succeeding in? Negative, true, but the odds are really stacked against you and you would do well to understand that and just be yourself.

The questions are not that hard, I found. In fact, I solved the first one so quickly I even surprised myself. You do have to write on the whiteboard, but that of course means that there can not be much code to write since a whiteboard is not that big. Indeed the questions are not that hard really. I felt that they do expect you to talk about what you are doing but also to get it right very quickly and without any mistakes. They want to see how you approach the problem etc., but get real - they don't want to see you fumbling around, they want to see that you know the answer and can bang it out.

Ultimately, even if you know the answer to the technical questions and you get them right you will still likely fail over something you can't really control or even know about. In my case, they said I didn't have management experience, but you know what, I didn't apply for a manager role and they never even asked about management or leadership at all. I was pretty annoyed to be honest, it felt like a complete waste of my time and I felt like an idiot for worrying so much about the interviews.

They do provide you with some preparation links which are useful. There is also a book called Cracking The Coding Interview. It doesn't have their questions in it of course, but it gives you plenty of examples on how to solve these kinds of questions so if you read up on it you should be able to bang them out quite easily.

Overall, it is worth going just to see if you can handle it because you probably can! Just make sure that you feel good about what you achieved even if they say no.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you can tell them what YOU actually did in your previous projects, not what the project was.

Know how to traverse data structures.

Know what the time/space complexity is.

Seriously, it really isn't that hard but you do need to know it so well that you can literally write it flawlessly. They want to see that you arrive at the decision to use a tree/hashtable/graph whatever, but then they expect you to bang out that solution.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

The first round is on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice. I was asked a lot of questions about binary search tree. It was about basic algorithm and data structure. The second round is on-site interview. It was a tour around their campus. It was a nice experience.