Facebook

Average Difficulty
338 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Interview Question – normal careercup question   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Question – Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Question – Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
Comment on complexities.
  View Answers (3)

Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

Interview Details Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Interview Question – implement sqrt without using math libray   View Answers (8)

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details I was referred by a friend and after some back-and-forth they set up a phone screen via Skype and collabedit.com. The feedback was very quick after the initial phone screening.

Interview Question – What is a memory-efficient way to store a vector of integers? Follow-up question: using your proposed data structure, find an algorithm with constant memory usage to calculate the dot product of two vectors.   View Answer

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details Internal Referral -> Phone Interview -> Onsite Loop -> Offer
The process was quick, however I interviewed before the holidays and had to wait until afterwards to hear the results. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. HR always keeps you updated on the process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Had a competing offer from another giant so I was able to negotiate.

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details I was referred by an existing employee. After an initial email by a recruiter, I didn't hear back for two weeks. I dropped a chaser and the managed to get the interview process started. I did a total of two phone screens with them. The first one went quite well and I heard back from the recruiter within a day. However I didn't manage to get past the second phone screen.

Each phone screen is pretty much standard, the interviewer calls you on your mobile or Skype, and provide you with a collabedit or codeshare page to type out code in real-time.

The recruitment process is slick and systematic generally.

Interview Question – Retrieve words from a dictionary that are made up of a subsequence of characters in an input string.
i.e. given an input "ABAT", matching words may include "BAT", "TAB", non-matching words may be "BART" or "BAR".
  Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details One/two phone interviews and one onsite. Contacted by recruiter, setup the time for a phone screen. Fairly well managed setup. Interview called on time, and was very nice to work with.

Interview Question – Add two binary numbers (Input as a string)   View Answers (3)

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by the recruiter through linkedin. I had an initial call with the recruiter where I was asked about my interests and what I might be looking for. Recruiter explained me the entire process on how the interview goes. Usually they have an initial phone interview, where you have to write code through collabedit. After that in person interview.

Phone interview was all about data structures. First the interviewer asked me what interests me about facebook, what is one thing about facebook I like. After that interviewer asked me to print a binary tree in level order. I did that. And then I was asked to print the tree in level order but using DFS. Interviewer was nice, was giving a lot of hints whenever I was stuck. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult for someone who would be clear on data structures I guess.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details The process went very smoothly. The experience with the recruiter was fantastic and the recruiter was always excited to talk about the company and kept me informed of what was happening throughout the entire process.

I did an initial screening interview and then a full day of on-site interviews. The on-site interviews consisted of two coding exercises (one on a whiteboard and one on a laptop), one on architecture, and one more that I don't remember.

Interview Question – A dynamic programming question about differences in words.   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!