Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

341 interviews

3.3

341 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions
    • Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.
        View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
    Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I was contacted by a Facebook recruiter, and offered an interview for a Software Engineer Internship. I had two interviews, both a combination of talking on the phone and coding on collabedit.com. The first interview took place about five days after I was first contacted about the position; the interviewer asked a few questions about projects I'd done and then started with programming questions. The second interview happened a week later, and the interviewer dove straight into coding problems. I was asked general algorithm questions, like get the n-th Fibonacci number, find the square root of a number, find the depth of a binary tree, merge two arrays, etc. Both interviewers saved time at the end for any questions I wanted to ask them.

Interview Questions
    • Display the sorted output of a merge of any number of sorted arrays. Then do it again, more efficiently.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

The interview was very tough ! I was asked so many questions of which most of them were tough and I couldn't answer any of them ! because I didn't have such skills.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Internal Referral -> Phone Interview -> Onsite Loop -> Offer
    The process was quick, however I interviewed before the holidays and had to wait until afterwards to hear the results. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. HR always keeps you updated on the process.

Interview Questions
    Had a competing offer from another giant so I was able to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend and after some back-and-forth they set up a phone screen via Skype and collabedit.com. The feedback was very quick after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • What is a memory-efficient way to store a vector of integers? Follow-up question: using your proposed data structure, find an algorithm with constant memory usage to calculate the dot product of two vectors.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by an existing employee. After an initial email by a recruiter, I didn't hear back for two weeks. I dropped a chaser and the managed to get the interview process started. I did a total of two phone screens with them. The first one went quite well and I heard back from the recruiter within a day. However I didn't manage to get past the second phone screen.

Each phone screen is pretty much standard, the interviewer calls you on your mobile or Skype, and provide you with a collabedit or codeshare page to type out code in real-time.

The recruitment process is slick and systematic generally.

Interview Questions
    • Retrieve words from a dictionary that are made up of a subsequence of characters in an input string.
      i.e. given an input "ABAT", matching words may include "BAT", "TAB", non-matching words may be "BART" or "BAR".
        Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!