Facebook

Updated 29 Jan, 2015

3.3

429 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Online Application, submitted the resume only. Contacted next day for a phone interview.
After the first interview was schedule for a second phone interview. Finally went for the onsite interview in Menlo Park where there was 3 interview in the same day.

Interview Questions
  • Print a binary tree level per level.
     2 3
    4 5 6 7

Would print

View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions
    • Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.

View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
    Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied through an internal referral. The process took about one week. A recruiter contacted me via email. At the interview, an engineer called me via phone. He was in bad mood. He asked me Why Facebook and was not satisfied with my answer at all. He interrupted me a lot during the whole interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied through university career fair. Received a call within a week, and scheduled an interview a week later. Was asked a question on graphs. The interview experience was pleasant. The interviewer gave me time to think. The interview went on for 45 minutes. The process was smooth. Received a reject email a week later.

Software Engineer Interview

Overall interview process was fantastic! Loved it though I did not get the offer.

Sourcing Recruiter contacted me on Linkedin when I was not looking. After 6 month or so I contacted same recruiter. I got prompt response from this point till the end.

I went through 1st technical round of interview onsite as I was local to their HQ. They prefer onsite though one can choose phone interview. For me onsite worked out well.Nearly 1-hour interview with one person. Two programming questions one on link list and other on BST. For each involved finding the solution (easy to optimal) and then write code optimal solution. I did this pretty well as I had prepared for data structures and algos.

They immediately called me for full day onsite interview. Again I prepared lot on data structures, algorithms and related problem solving. And boom..that was my mistake. I forgot to focus on system side (locking, synchronization, deadlock) in detail. 5 interviewers, 45 min each. No on asked on data structures/algo. Two interviewers asked on locking related question, 1 design, 1 manager and last guy did combo of everything. Mostly I screwed up on locking related questions as I took many hint and long time... sigh..

Everyone was professional. Communication was prompt and fast!

Interview Questions
    • Design backend system to run app like facebook where query is to get two levels of friends of friend. Open ended question..   Answer Question