Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated 13 Apr, 2015
Updated 13 Apr, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied online through their website. I was contacted after one week and scheduled an interview for the following week. They flew me out and although the interview only lasted 4 hours, I was in California for the weekend. Great experience. Wonderful company. Although I did not get an offer, I will definitely apply again.

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

They recruited me at a conference. I had a recruiter phone screen followed by two engineering phone screens. One was focused on coding and the other on systems. This was followed by an all-day interview at the Facebook Campus. The all-day interview was 5 sessions with different engineers, 45 minutes each. Each interview focused on a different area like Architecture, Coding, Networking, and Systems.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The time between indicating to the recruiter that I was interested to the date of the final set of onsite interviews was about 1 month.

I'm local to Facebook HQ, so for the initial screening interview I was given the option to do it over the phone or onsite (I chose the latter). The interviewer asked me about my recent work history, and asked me to solve a couple of coding problems.

I returned a couple of weeks later for 5 onsite interviews, which consisted of 2 coding, 2 design, and 1 fit interview. Most of the interviews were good experiences, except for one where I unfortunately got stuck on a problem and the interviewer just sat there watching me while I struggled.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a url-shortening service?   1 Answer

Data Scientist, Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

For context: I graduated with a MS in CS in May 2014.

Applied through LinkedIn and was later contacted by HR via email asking to schedule a phone screen. Completed the phone interview and was the invited onsite for more interviews. Standard full-day interview process with lunch, etc. Interviewers were all very smart. I did not have difficulties understanding any of them (accents, etc.) as some on Glassdoor have mentioned. Questions consisted of experimental design, product health metrics, statistics, probability, SQL, and (software engineer interview-style) programming questions. Some of the probability and statistics questions were quite difficult. The interviews were hybrid PM/statistician/developer style which made it difficult to prepare for.

Note: this is for the Data Scientist, Analytics and not the Core Data Science / Research Team.

Interview Questions

• Given two binary strings, write a function that adds them. You are not allowed to use any built in string to int conversions or parsing tools. E.g. Given "100" and "111" you should return "1011". What is the time and space complexity of your algorithm?   Answer Question
    • Lets say the population on Facebook clicks ads with a click-through-rate of P. We select a sample of size N and examine the sample's conversion rate, denoted by hat{P}, what is the minimum sample size N such that Probability( ABS(hat{P} - P) < DELTA ) = 95%. In other words (this is my translation), find the minimum sample size N such that our sample estimate hat{P} is within DELTA of the true click through rate P, with 95% confidence.   Answer Question
    • Write a SQL query to compute a frequency table of a certain attribute involving two joins. What if you want to GROUP or ORDER BY some attribute? What changes would you need to make? How would you account for NULLs?   Answer Question
    • What teams are you interested in at Facebook?   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. He asked several simple questions and then set up two phone screens, one for "systems" and one for "software engineering." A few days later I was invited to Menlo Park, CA for a day of interviews. There were 5 45-minute sessions: software engineering, networking, manager, and design. The interviewers varied in quality, but we generally pretty good.

Interview Questions

• Under NDA to not reveal interview questions however they are very predictable questions which could be easily understood based on the names of the interviews. There were no odd trick questions like "deploy SSH to 10,000 servers on the moon."   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an internal employee and contacted by a Facebook recruiter about 2 weeks later. She described the position she was considering me for and asked me whether I am interested. I said yes and emailed her my availability for next week. Soon I was scheduled for a phone interview.

The phone interview was rather simple. However, the questions are not well thought. For example, he asked to write a query that a certain text field has text. It turned out he is testing for ‘ column like ‘%%’. I am sure there is a lot ways of testing whether I know the SQL keyword “like”. Maybe it is a English issue. Since I had some experience with Facebook’s direct competitor, I felt like the interviewer is more interested in details of how things are running at the competitor rather than in my abilities.

I got email from the recruiter the next morning about on-site interview with 5 different people – 1 data scientist, 1 from another group, 1 hiring manager, 2 direct reports of current hiring manager. I can tell that the group is extremely un-diversified in every sense, and all from eBay/PayPal. I spent 10+ years in Silicon Valley already and I know this is not a good sign. My later interviews approved every bit of my suspicions.

The data scientist only asked me SQL questions for table join and case statements. The interviewer from a different group asked me “We are going to release a new product. What’s your test plan?” I asked back about the goal and metrics of the testing, she repeated her question again “how are you going to test?” Obviously the questions are either not well prepared or misleading. The hiring manager thought I was a different person, and never read my resume at all. He asked me to walk through my resume. One of his subordinates does not know what rank() function does and kept asking me about it. The other subordinate kept asking me every single bit of details of Facebook competitor operations.
    In general, the interviewers are not well trained.

I followed up with recruiter 2 days later (she said she will have answers in 2 days before) and she said that it is extremely difficult decision. I answered all technical and specific questions very well, but not for open questions. It is very bizarre because I analyzed every “open” question from every angle. Open questions are their weapons to weed out candidates that are not of their types. Obviously open questions are used to cover other excuses or otherwise illegal reasons for rejections.

Overall, there is no common understanding between recruiter and hiring teams. There is no proper communication channel between phone interviewer and hiring manager. Totally waste of time and energy.

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

3 rounds: First round is a culture fit. The next two interviews assess your design thinking. You will do a live critque of a popular, non Facebook owned app. (I did Yelp). The final interview had me going very in depth about the strongest project in my portfolio. These last two interviews each lasted 45 minutes each (The last one went over a bit). Fantastic, friendly people. Ran out of spots for interns for the 2015 season, so my application is paused for the 2016 season.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the high level thinking behind your application   Answer Question

Partner Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

My process included the following phone interviews: 1) recruiter, 2) the hiring manager, 3) technical screen interview (coding), 4) higher-level design / business. Finally, I had an in-person interview in Menlo Park, which included about 5 slots of 30-45 minutes including all those topics again plus a presentation that I gave to the team. The recruiter was prompt at keeping me apprised of each step and got back to me quickly after each of the interviews to let me know what the next steps would be.

Interview Questions

• I got technical screening interview questions similar to the easy-to-medium problems you'd find at leetcode.com or "Cracking the Coding Interview".   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question