Facebook

Updated 25 Feb, 2015
Updated 25 Feb, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'm talking about the on-site interview. The process began with a checkin and confirmation. Then there was a 40 minutes technical interview. It was not that hard but I didn't make it. After that, we enjoyed the lunch with the recruiter at the dining hall and it ends with an amazing tour in the FB campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the consecutive sequence of numbers whose sums equal to a target number.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I applied to the summer internship last year. However, I didn't hear anything until June. They said they were going to interview me for full time position. Then I told them I won't be graduating until this year summer. So, I postpone the interview to this year. They they got confused that I was applying to the summer internship this year. After a phone interview, they sent me onsite interview. The onsite interview was postponed for almost an hour without notice. I was waiting there for almost an hour. So, things were really rush.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Incredibly exhausting single-day set of product interviews (with six people) starting at 9am and ending around 5pm. Extremely smart people and I really enjoyed the conversations. They give product managers a lot of responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • Run of the mill questions about engineering and wireframing. Had to talk about projecting the future.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

1- submitted my resume through a friend for a couple different positions
    2- phone screen with a recruiter
    3- brought on for onsite. 5 thirty minute interviews.
    4- offer extended a couple hours after the interview ended.

Overall was a quick process. Everyone communicated well; I was impressed.

Public Content Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

Interview lasted about 40minutes and consisted of a 1:1 in a small room in these big chairs. Very informal setting but make sure your posture is correct in those chairs as it can be a bit awkward which you may come off awkward as well. Pretty straight forward interview. At the end you will be asked to do a little written test thats timed. They ask pretty much how you would go about communicating to a facebook member about a problem. You have 5minutes.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Gave resume to recruiter on campus, was set aside for a Front End position given experiences on resume. Contacted later by the Front End recruiter. Did a mostly behavioral phone interview, a coding challenge, another phone interview, then on-sites.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were easier than expected...pretty much basic algorithm questions in JS with some HTML/CSS mixed in   View Answer
    The package was generous; didn't feel like negotiating for internship salary. I'll probably negotiate if offered full-time. Free food and housing made the overall comp higher than other offers I received.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

The interview was pretty straight forward. First phone interview was with the recruiter who reached out to me. Then, an onsite interview and although they said, they might have a follow-up interview, they called me the next day and said they'll be making an offer. The offer numbers came in very quickly thereafter. The entire process (from first recruiter contact to offer acceptance) took less than two weeks!

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't out of the ordinary but were well-thought out. I met with 4 interviewers (30 mins each).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

The whole process was very fast.

I have applied through the web site and got reply on a same day.

1. Screening with recruiter (15-20 mins)
    2. Phone interview with an engineer (45 mins)
    3. Onsite interview with 4 people (2 coding, 1 system design, 1 culture fit + coding)

Interview Questions
    • I found system design question more difficult than others as I had no experience in designing large scalable systems.   View Answers (2)