Facebook

Getting the Interview

1,003 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Quantitative Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied through campus recruiter. The recruiter was very nice and arranged the phone interview very soon.

The phone interview was 45 minutes. First, The interviewer very briefly asked my background (about 2 minutes?), then moved to the coding test. The coding question was not hard. I gave a simple solution first, but the interviewer asked if I can improve it. Then I gave a better solution. Sounds like the interviewer was satisfied with the second one. the last 5 minutes, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. I said no.

Interview Question – The question was pretty straightforward. Given a random number generator, and an array consists of M numbers, generate a number from 1 to N, but not in that array.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Question – Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
Comment on complexities.
  View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details I gave out a resume on career fair and did an in person interview on campus.

Interview Question – introduce some projects I did and was asked a question about binary tree.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Waterloo, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied for new grad front end engineer position through University of Waterloo's job posting system. Was contacted by recruiter via e-mail on a Friday, interview schedule for Wednesday of following week. Meet and greet, informal reception occurred on Tuesday evening before interview. Very friendly interviewer and employees at reception. 45 minute interview consisted of questions regarding work experience and projects, followed by 2 technical questions.

Interview Question – 1. In JavaScript, write a function that takes an array as input that can contain both ints and more arrays (which can also contain an array or int) and return the flattened array.

ex. [1, [2, [ [3, 4], 5], 6]] => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

2. Using HTML and CSS, show how you would create an image that would display another image (aligned to the bottom, right) when the user hovers over the image.

ex. The Facebook "edit profile picture" icon
  View Answers (2)

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Interview Details applied through recruiter

Interview Question – Questions asked: how to interleave 2 linked list   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details I applied online for a production engineering position. A recruiter did a screening interview with me to assess where my strengths lay, and to determine which role would be the best fit. They recommended a production engineering role. We scheduled a phone interview which covered several programming/scripting questions. After getting positive feedback, we scheduled another phone interview which covered linux system administration and troubleshooting. Although I received positive feedback from that interview as well, the existing production engineering roles were filled. My recruiter asked if I would be interested in pursuing another role within the organization, specifically a software engineering role. We scheduled an interview with that team. I had a bad day, and couldn't focus during the interview, totally blowing it. I didn't receive an offer, although if given another chance I believe I would be offered one.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, output all subsets of size three, which sum to zero.   View Answers (2)
  • Given a list of integers which are sorted, but rotated ([4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3]), search for a given integer in the list.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and my school had their own internship application program but they decided not to use that. Instead, the HR called me and asked me some typical HR questions, which I was able to answer, and then she scheduled me with a manager for further evaluation. She also told me there would be 2 rounds of tech interviews which I thought was weird of an internship..

Interview Question – So dev manager was asking about algorithms and I was able to answer most of them. But then he asked something about NP completeness which I had no clue what it was about.   Answer Question

Analyst, Partner Measurement Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in July 2012.

Interview Details Recruiter reached out for an initial phone call with some behavioral and logic questions. She later followed up with an e-mail of several articles to prepare for an interview with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager for the position was unavailable at the last minute so they had someone else on the team conduct the interview. The person that I spoke to was extremely rude and condescending, suggesting that my work at my current employer was not good enough for them, even though I had more work experience than her. After speaking to her, I no longer had any interest in working for Facebook and would not consider applying again.

Interview Question – If a Facebook user doesn't provide their age, what data would you use to determine their age [for the purpose of ad targeting]?   View Answer

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details Contacted through LinkedIn. Did two phone interviews.

Interview Question – Combinatorial questions involving strings and recursions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

Interview Details Get contacted by HR after drop resume in a campus event.
Attended the on campus interview.

The process is very fast paced. And the interviewer is very friendly.

He provided hints and gave follow-up discussion about your solution.

Interview Question – implement sqrt without using math libray   View Answers (8)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook interview questions and advice. All 1,003 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.