Facebook Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
1,094 interviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions
    • Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   Answer Question

Quantitative Engineering Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

I applied through campus recruiter. The recruiter was very nice and arranged the phone interview very soon.

The phone interview was 45 minutes. First, The interviewer very briefly asked my background (about 2 minutes?), then moved to the coding test. The coding question was not hard. I gave a simple solution first, but the interviewer asked if I can improve it. Then I gave a better solution. Sounds like the interviewer was satisfied with the second one. the last 5 minutes, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. I said no.

Interview Questions
    • The question was pretty straightforward. Given a random number generator, and an array consists of M numbers, generate a number from 1 to N, but not in that array.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.
        View Answers (3)

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waterloo, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Applied for new grad front end engineer position through University of Waterloo's job posting system. Was contacted by recruiter via e-mail on a Friday, interview schedule for Wednesday of following week. Meet and greet, informal reception occurred on Tuesday evening before interview. Very friendly interviewer and employees at reception. 45 minute interview consisted of questions regarding work experience and projects, followed by 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. In JavaScript, write a function that takes an array as input that can contain both ints and more arrays (which can also contain an array or int) and return the flattened array.

ex. [1, [2, [ [3, 4], 5], 6]] => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

2. Using HTML and CSS, show how you would create an image that would display another image (aligned to the bottom, right) when the user hovers over the image.

ex. The Facebook "edit profile picture" icon
        View Answers (6)

Intern Interview

I gave out a resume on career fair and did an in person interview on campus.

Interview Questions
    • introduce some projects I did and was asked a question about binary tree.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

applied through recruiter

Production Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook.

I applied online for a production engineering position. A recruiter did a screening interview with me to assess where my strengths lay, and to determine which role would be the best fit. They recommended a production engineering role. We scheduled a phone interview which covered several programming/scripting questions. After getting positive feedback, we scheduled another phone interview which covered linux system administration and troubleshooting. Although I received positive feedback from that interview as well, the existing production engineering roles were filled. My recruiter asked if I would be interested in pursuing another role within the organization, specifically a software engineering role. We scheduled an interview with that team. I had a bad day, and couldn't focus during the interview, totally blowing it. I didn't receive an offer, although if given another chance I believe I would be offered one.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of integers, output all subsets of size three, which sum to zero.   View Answers (2)
    • Given a list of integers which are sorted, but rotated ([4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3]), search for a given integer in the list.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

I applied online and my school had their own internship application program but they decided not to use that. Instead, the HR called me and asked me some typical HR questions, which I was able to answer, and then she scheduled me with a manager for further evaluation. She also told me there would be 2 rounds of tech interviews which I thought was weird of an internship..

Interview Questions
    • So dev manager was asking about algorithms and I was able to answer most of them. But then he asked something about NP completeness which I had no clue what it was about.   Answer Question

Analyst, Partner Measurement Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in July 2012.

Recruiter reached out for an initial phone call with some behavioral and logic questions. She later followed up with an e-mail of several articles to prepare for an interview with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager for the position was unavailable at the last minute so they had someone else on the team conduct the interview. The person that I spoke to was extremely rude and condescending, suggesting that my work at my current employer was not good enough for them, even though I had more work experience than her. After speaking to her, I no longer had any interest in working for Facebook and would not consider applying again.

Interview Questions
    • If a Facebook user doesn't provide their age, what data would you use to determine their age [for the purpose of ad targeting]?   View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!