Facebook

Updated 18 Nov, 2014
1,191 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Online Application, submitted the resume only. Contacted next day for a phone interview.
    After the first interview was schedule for a second phone interview. Finally went for the onsite interview in Menlo Park where there was 3 interview in the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree level per level.
       2 3
      4 5 6 7

Would print
        View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied online for the Rotational PM role (new grad) and received a response rather quickly. There was a brief HR screen then I was invited for a phone interview from a full-time former RPM. Very casual chat and they asked a lot of clarifying questions for my design. The program is very selective so they seem to be looking for exceptional clarity and thoughtful design.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

-HR person got in touch with me the day after I applied and scheduled a technical phone interview
    -45 minute phone interview where I had to code using CollabEdit
    -Talked about one of my projects in school first, then 1 coding question: Given a matrix, write an algorithm where if an element in the matrix is 0, turns all the elements in that row and column into zeros
    -Thought it went pretty well, I solved the question (although I think I took too long) and the interviewer was very nice and put me at ease but I didn't get an offer. I will try again though :)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Started with a quick phone call from a recruiter at facebook. He was very nice and polite but not technical. Questions were related to past experience but I felt as though it was more just a quick fit check before moving to a more technical interview.

Next step was a call with a Senior Engineer. The phone call was about one hour in which the you will be quized about elementary data structures and algs.

Interview Questions
    • Create an iterator to traverse a binary tree. When the next function is called on the binary tree return the value at the next node as if you are doing an inorder traversal of the tree. Restrictions: Nodes do not have pointers to their parent node and you can't use recursion.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.
        View Answers (3)

Intern Interview

I gave out a resume on career fair and did an in person interview on campus.

Interview Questions
    • introduce some projects I did and was asked a question about binary tree.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Applied for new grad front end engineer position through University of Waterloo's job posting system. Was contacted by recruiter via e-mail on a Friday, interview schedule for Wednesday of following week. Meet and greet, informal reception occurred on Tuesday evening before interview. Very friendly interviewer and employees at reception. 45 minute interview consisted of questions regarding work experience and projects, followed by 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. In JavaScript, write a function that takes an array as input that can contain both ints and more arrays (which can also contain an array or int) and return the flattened array.

ex. [1, [2, [ [3, 4], 5], 6]] => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

2. Using HTML and CSS, show how you would create an image that would display another image (aligned to the bottom, right) when the user hovers over the image.

ex. The Facebook "edit profile picture" icon
        View Answers (6)

Quantitative Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

I applied through campus recruiter. The recruiter was very nice and arranged the phone interview very soon.

The phone interview was 45 minutes. First, The interviewer very briefly asked my background (about 2 minutes?), then moved to the coding test. The coding question was not hard. I gave a simple solution first, but the interviewer asked if I can improve it. Then I gave a better solution. Sounds like the interviewer was satisfied with the second one. the last 5 minutes, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. I said no.

Interview Questions
    • The question was pretty straightforward. Given a random number generator, and an array consists of M numbers, generate a number from 1 to N, but not in that array.   View Answer

Production Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied online for a production engineering position. A recruiter did a screening interview with me to assess where my strengths lay, and to determine which role would be the best fit. They recommended a production engineering role. We scheduled a phone interview which covered several programming/scripting questions. After getting positive feedback, we scheduled another phone interview which covered linux system administration and troubleshooting. Although I received positive feedback from that interview as well, the existing production engineering roles were filled. My recruiter asked if I would be interested in pursuing another role within the organization, specifically a software engineering role. We scheduled an interview with that team. I had a bad day, and couldn't focus during the interview, totally blowing it. I didn't receive an offer, although if given another chance I believe I would be offered one.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of integers, output all subsets of size three, which sum to zero.   View Answers (2)
    • Given a list of integers which are sorted, but rotated ([4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3]), search for a given integer in the list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR. employee referral, contacted by HR, phone interview, normal interview question, no reply for 2 weeks, contacted HR.