FAA Interview Questions

Updated 17 Sep, 2014
Updated 17 Sep, 2014

2.6

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at FAA in January 2013.

Panel style interview. Different department managers. Approx 10 questions. Are you a team player? Why do you want to work for the FAA? etc

Interview Questions

I had a better opportunity in another sunny state on the west coast

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FAA.

Initially, lengthy online application process. Once done though, easy to edit and apply for future jobs. Interview time frame and hiring process is dependent on urgency to fill the position and of course, funding.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked to expand on the definition of being "a team player". I've found the hiring person is looking for specific characteristics and not the canned response of "being able to work well with others, being flexible and adaptable". Person is looking for specific examples describing a situation, what you did in response, and what the outcome of the situation was.   Answer Question

Regional Operations Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FAA in August 2012.

I was engaged two weeks prior to the interview with notification that I had been selected as a finalist. I was given the option for what interview period I would like [a one hour block with three interviewers as a preliminary followed by a 30 minute block with the hiring manager], then sent directions to the interview site in Renton. A background check was included in the process.

Interview Questions
    • All questions followed a basic Performance Based interview process (find out about Performance Based Interviewing on VA website) - all the answers were there as well as Answers.com.
      Typical questions included:
      II Customer Service In your current job, who are your internal and external customers? Specifically, how do you get satisfaction feedback from your internal customers? Specifically, how do you get satisfaction feedback from your external customers? Give specific examples of how you have used both negative and positive feedback.
      II Interpersonal Effectiveness A part of this job is documenting your work. On a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being excellent writing skills, how would you rate your writing ability? Give specific example of the types of documents you write routinely. What feedback do you get from your supervisor on your writing skills?
      II Personal Mastery Developing and using a detailed procedure is often very important in a job. Tell about a time when you needed to develop and use a detailed procedure to successfully complete a project.
      II Systems Thinking In your current job, what organizational change have you made or contributed to that you are proud of? How did you go about making the change? What has been the impact of the change?
      II Technical Skills Give me an example of a time when you used good judgment and decision-making in solving a problem.
        View Answer

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FAA in July 2012.

Seamless, transition from contractor to government. No real misunderstanding a the FAA had already seen me work. No one had any misconceptions and they were helping me out immensely with making it a foot in the doorl

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL (US)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FAA in December 2011.

I met with a gentleman who was the manager of the control tower facility nearest to me. It was a casual, friendly conversation, with many of the questions consisting how I handle pressure, times in my life where things didn't go my way, my hobbies, why I want to go into this field, etc. Post-interview communication went through FAA human resource specialists. Mine was very helpful in keeping my abreast of my application status.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time working in the tower where you saw a potential conflict. How did you solve it?   View Answer
    Non-negotiable.

Secretarial Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FAA in October 2011.

From the time the job closed to interview, it was almost 4 months. Was asked a series of several "what would you do in this situation" questions. They thanked me for my time and asked if I had any questions. Was told that an offer could take just as long as the interview process did and not to give up.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you overheard co-workers talking about the new person (or another employee) in the bathroom or breakroom?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw an employee posting a threatening notice on a bulletin board?   Answer Question

Airport Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at FAA in October 2011.

I applied online through Tampa, FL civil service. Was asked to come in to do typing and skills test within 2 weeks. Upon arrival, after paying $7.00 to park in downtown Tampa, FL the place was flooded with people applying for the same job 1 week before the deadline. Typing was easy, just type the addresses correctly with good speed. Skills test was average, mostly logical questions that pertain to job. Study guide is online at the civil service website. You will know before you leave if you will pass the test. I recieved an email stating I was in the ranking for the job and the FAA and not Tampa Civil Service would contact me if they wanted to setup an interview. No call, or follow up after numerous attempts to contact everyone about status.... (this seemed to be the industry)

Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FAA in November 2010.

Overall the process was simple and straightforward. I applied online and was called by a manager several days after the announcement closed. Focused on my experience and abilities. As well as, flexibility, and ability to manage/lead. The setting was casual and non threatening. I did get plenty of KSA related questions.

Computer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FAA in June 2010.

Very slow process - 2-3 months. Process is similar throughout the FAA. There are variants when it comes to interviews. At the interview ask or listen to the rules and understand them before proceeding. When completing the application, detail and verbosity are key. There are key works used in the advertisement and, if not found in the resume, eliminate the applicant.

Interview Questions
    Very little negotion. Salaries are generally schedule values and not negotiable.

Computer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FAA in May 2010.

Process is long, outdated and not precisely clear and is dynamic. Key is landing the interview and getting through the red tape and into an actual interview. Interview was a panel based interview with questions ranging from technical to objective in nature.

Fast.