F5 Networks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at F5 Networks

Interview Details I handed over my resume to them at a career fair which was held at school. After about a month, they e-mailed me to confirm my phone number. I scheduled an interview with them via phone call, and the interview was on campus. After that, all contacts were by e-mails.

Interview Question – They love C and pointers   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied through another source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details I was cold called off my LinkedIn profile then went through a phone screen. It was 2 algorithm questions followed up by general person questions and information about the job.

I was then flown out for an in person interview. They put me up in a pretty nice hotel within walking distance of the HQ where my interview was taking place. It started off with a written test covering java fundamentals as well as a short coding problem. I then had 7 back to back interviews that lasted the rest of the day. (Lunch was purchased for me by the boss of the team I was interviewing for and over lunch it was a very informal interview, mostly me asking questions about the job and the team and getting answers)

The interviews covered asking me to design a program on a whiteboard, code on a whiteboard covering data structures and algorithms, multi-threading, concurrency as well as being asked about SQL backend and databases. They hit as many bases as possible They interviewers were good with coaching and hints. They don't expect you to be perfect which is really nice. Overall I'd say I did really well on 2 of the interviews, good on 3 of the interviews, just ok on 1 and really bombed the last one at the end of the day but still got the offer.

Interview Question – How would you design an backend SQL database system for very large loads? (I have no database experience and my resume reflected this so this question really caught me off guard)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A little back and forth with HR. I was able to negotiate a higher salary. They also seemed to be interviewing for multiple levels of Software Engineer and allowed me to pick to be hired as a I or a II. I was able to get a verbal agreement on an offer about a week after the interview but it took them another few weeks to get that in writing. They had some issues with getting a relocation package ready they said. This put me off some but wasn't a big deal at the end of the day.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview Details Very thorough process that involved a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with ~6 others. The on-site interview started with a small/simple paper exercise on basic programming questions. This appeared to be used to seed one of the interviews. The individual one-on-one sessions were done with talented folks from those fairly new to long term veterans of F5. Each interview was unique, but each seemed more of a collaborative investigation more than simple questions and answers. White board work and general talk through things was encouraged. Overall felt like a solid interview such that when I received the offer, I was sure that I would be a good fit.

Interview Question – Questions weren't limited to my area of experience and some were more of a collaborative investigation with a subject matter expert. Working through questions about allocating tight structures and then manipulating them were challenging for on-the-spot work, but were actually fun in the end.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The whole process of moving to the offer was slowish and methodical as F5 takes hiring seriously in terms of budgeting and job fit. Negotiation was limited to relocation funds.

Product Release Manager, Product Development Interview

Product Release Manager, Product Development
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Interview Details Pretty straight forward. I had a phone interview with the recruiter first and then later that week she scheduled an in person interview at the office. I interviewed with the recruiter again, then two team members, the manager, and the director (all 30min meetings back to back). I prepared well in advance of the interview so I was ready for 95% of the questions before they were asked.

Interview Question – None really, but be prepared to answer the following:

1. Why do you want to work for F5? This question WILL be asked
2. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
3. Give me an overview of your last job.
4. Answer questions specific to your resume
5. Scale of 1-10, how familiar are you with system tools - Microsoft office, Agile or SQL?
6. Why did you leave the last company?
7. Explain any time gaps in resume
8. What are some of your leadership experiences?
9. Describe an accomplishment you are most proud of.
10. Do you have any questions - AND OF COURSE YOU DO. ;)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me an increased salary, bonus's, stock, full benefits, 401K match. The offer was very generous and I did not feel the need to negotiate and respond with a counter offer.

Product Development Response Manager Interview

Product Development Response Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2014.

Interview Details HR called me, organised a quick telephonic conversation to brief the expectation of the role, followed by Hiring manager round of interview. Later I was called onsite for 7 round of interview with 2 development manager, 1 incident manager, 1 product manager, 1 program manager, 1 test manager and lastly hiring manager. I was offered a job where HR called to discuss the offer verbally followed by negotiations and the final offer was sent to me by email. F5 was quite open in date of joining based on my availability and moved fast in bringing me onboard. HR coordinator worked with me for joining formalities and great set of documents on F5 Reference guide, Background check and benefits packet was shared to make my onboarding smooth. On joining my office was setup with laptop, backpack and many goodies

Interview Question – Your customer is too angry because previous solutions given, caused multiple other failures. How would you deal with this customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was quite competitive as compared to other offers I had in my hand from top companies in networking world

Principal Solution Engineer Interview

Principal Solution Engineer
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2010.

Interview Details Better know F5 products well or show acumen to pick it up fast as it is complicated kit. Knowledge of enterprise SW, HW and data center workings key. This job is technical and the more your are the better you will succeed.

Negotiation Details – Not much to aim for here. It is ranged on experience. ask for preplanned vacation, signing bonus if you are leaving or their range does not fit you.

NSE II (UNIX) Interview

NSE II (UNIX)
Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details Interview / hiring process is very thorough and detailed, and takes about half a day of interviews. They will keep asking you harder and harder questions until you stop knowing the answers. They are not trying to disqualify you, they are trying to see where your limits are. If you have sharp linux skills, and fair to middlin people skills, you can land this job.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They offered me the highest dollar posted on glassdoor for this position, and I took it.

Very Difficult Interview

Network Support Engineer Interview

Network Support Engineer
Lowell, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in December 2012.

Interview Details Phone Screen followed by in person interview. This will be a panel interview over the phone and in person. Basically you will interview with about 7 people in the span of 3 hours. The questions are detailed and grueling, but they are only probing to see if you might be better suited for a more advanced position (ENE or EAE)

Interview Question – Linux CLI questions and Extremely detailed TCP/IP stack questions, HTTP questions and SSL questions. Know these backwards and forwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – E-mail. Very easy.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in February 2013.

Interview Details one telephonic , asked about project i have worked, skills set, OS understanding and C programming skills.
Manager spoke about the team and what project they are handling . Called for in person interview.

Interview Question – How to download a 1TB file from Server to client, different process involved, window scaling, sliding window etc   Answer Question

Technical Intern Interview

Technical Intern
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details Direct onsite interview in San Jose

Interview Question – Detailed questions on TCP, like on TCP Windowing.   View Answer

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!