ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 17 Apr, 2015

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied on-line and within 2 days an on-line numerical test was sent to me. I completed the test and after 2 weeks I got an invitation for a telephone interview. I did the telephone interview but haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest decision you had to make?   1 Answer

Process Technician Interview

Interview

It appeared that they interviewed a few hundred people for the position. The interview was about 2 hours. A lot of the questions were similar and dealt with how would you deal with this.

Interview Questions

• If you absolutely had to meet a deadline, but there was no way the job could be done safely in the amount of time allotted, how would you hand it?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Interview

I got the interview through my current spupervisor who refered me to the recruiter. Only faced the initial phone interview by the team leader. Phone interview lasted for about 45 mins

Tech Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Interview

The interview took place in Beaumont @ 630am -750am. The interview panel consisted of two ExxonMobil Supervisors, each responsible for a section, past work experience and behavioral. Overall felt really good throughout the process, quick/direct/detailed responses, but you could say that if not prepared or if you have not practiced the questions could be difficult.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online (UK summer internship in IT Technology), sent CV, work experience description, etc. After some online practice, passed online psychometric tests, got invited for the telephone interview. The interview was purely behavioral. At the end, there was a quick question about the role, something like 'why do you think you're suitable for this job?'.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the time when you faced a obstacle while working on a project.

Talk about the time when you applied troubleshooting

1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Interviewed with several different people during one day. Each interview was approx 45 minutes. They took all the candidates who were also interviewing to lunch. Nothing was too difficult. I was just myself and answered each question honestly. Some scenario questions.

Interview Questions

• How did I go against something someone who was my superior told me to do.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

submitted resume and got an in person interview on campus for about 30 minutes. a few weeks later i get a phone interview with a specific organization within the company, and i received my offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected, the typical get-to-know you interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

The first part of the interview process was with the on campus recruiter. The questions were just standard behavioral questions and some time was spent on the recruiter talking about the different companies/departments that ExxonMobil had and then asked which one you would prefer.

The second part of the interview process came a few weeks later. This was with a hiring manager from a specific company/department looking to actually hire me (the intern). The questions made me go into great detail about my resume and had a lot of questions regarding personal career choices and goals.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question for me was "What is your career goal and how would working at ExxonMobil help you achieve that goal?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through website, passed the psychometric tests and then was emailed with notification of telephone interview, whole process took about 3 weeks or so. Results were also very quick, only about 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a time when you analysed numerical data to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On campus interview, standard hour long STAR grilling. Phone interview, then onsite interview at refinery. Night before is informal dinner with engineers who recently started. Next day is for real. At least 4 45 min interviews, 3 technical, one with department head. They thoroughly vet your technical skills, project leadership experience, and overall personality type. More STAR questions thrown in. It seems to me that they are looking for type A, power driven people. Know first of all that it's a manufacturing business, then a business environment, with a little engineering thrown in.
    Honestly, I didn't meet one stereotypical nerd/geek the whole day. Engineers there don't stay engineers for long. Most move on to leadership roles or business roles.

A good tip would be to have your projected career on your mind. Decide if you want technical track, management track, or business track. Stick to that the whole day. The interviewers meet at the end of the day before you go into the boss man final interview and hash you out. Above all, know yourself. If you aren't the kind of person who will fit into an environment of constant competition for your whole career, they will find out, and fast. Employees are constantly ranked versus each other on a tiered scale, with the bottom half of the tier needing remediation. It's not for the faint of heart or those who "just want to be an engineer".

All that being said, the people were pretty great. Top notch guys from MIT and all the big schools. They really get the best of the best. If that's you, and you can also deal with living in the relative crapholes these places are located in, the money is insane for someone right out of school, and the benefits sounded pretty good.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were leading a team on a project with multiple solutions. How did you come up with a strategy and create buy-in in your group?   Answer Question