ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

Material Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

There is two rounds. First round is submit application and especially my school results. The second round went to Harborfront office and met with my future boss. She was nice and asked me many behavioral questions. Then I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work with technicians to resolve a conflict, especially when they are older and more experienced than you?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate.

Research Engineer (PhD) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got an invitation for an onsite visit. I arrived the night before the interview day and I was invited to an unofficial dinner (which I believe that it was an important part of the interview--even if they call it unofficial). The next day I gave a talk early in the morning and met with several team members and team leaders (You are expected to wake up early in the morning e.g. 7.30 am give a presentation at 9.00 am and get done with the interview at 5.00pm).

It was a very nice experience

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interviewed via a one on one college recruiting event. There was an information session the night before. I would recommend going to this if it is available. Overall, the interview was casual and consisted of mostly "name a time when" type questions. I did not receive an offer, as they were primarily looking at graduate students.

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Most hiring is done on campus. Few experienced hire positions offered. Typically a day of on site interviews with dinner with a host the night before. Behavioral questions and the star method are used to determine organizational fit, analytical capability, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioral questions are asked. Be sure to come prepared with examples and stories of your accomplishments.   Answer Question

IT Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Required cover letter, CV, academic transcript, and online application form. 2nd stage was a phone interview asking questions about you and your interests. 3rd stage was a face to face interview with a couple of GMs. The questions in the face to face interview included: Why did you apply for this job? How do you think your extracurricular activities could apply to companies like Exxon? What does a career in IT look like to you? How have you helped to implement IT solutions in the workplace? Would you be interested in a role in project management? What will drive/motivate you when you have mundane work? This interview also included a case study

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult and unexpected question was, what will motivate you when you have mundane work? The business case study was an inbox of emails which had to be prioritised and answered before leaving for holiday in 1 hour. It was based on a real life situation where there was a leaking oil pipe and requests to have it fixed from various stakeholders and a government department because of safety, financial, and environmental costs. Your outcome had to be presented to the GMs interviewing you.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baytown, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The process is quite intense. You are sent a testing link prior to interviewing. If you do not pass the initial test, you do not go any further in the process. The first interview is with Human Resources and a representative with the department for which you applied. If granted a second interview you will interview with your potential direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was about accountability. If you make a mistake are you accountable enough to recognize the mistake and correct the mistake.   View Answer
    I was pleased with the initial offer. No negotiations needed.

Network Infrastrue Analyst Interview

On campus recruiting. We filled out paperwork both on our campus webpage as well as the exxonmobil web page. We were selected for on campus interview. Made it through round one interviews, and continued onto round two. After that, 3 people were selected out of my entire university for an internship. The year I applied there were 58,809 students.

Procurement Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Gave some preliminary tests and had a preliminary interview with recruiting agency.Actual interview with departament manager was long of almost 2 hrs, being asked from the typical questions to the more specific regarding certain situations trying to demonstrate skills and knowledge.Second interview with GM, was shorter and based on previous discussion.

Negotations of salary package was held afterwards based on my input on expected pay.

IT Project Manager Interview

Hired from college. They only hire college graduates in the IT Company. Onsite interview. Second interview consist of a few interviews onsite. The interview process was pretty easy going. They are interviewing you to see if you fit in the exxonmobil culture. Your grades and activities shows whether are not you can do the work.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember. IT was a pretty easy going interview   Answer Question

Upstream Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I had an interview at an campus job fair. I think all PhDs got an interview opportunity. The interview are all behavior questions. the interview took question from a booklet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you have multiple solutions/choice. which one did you take, and why?   Answer Question