ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 17 Apr, 2015

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I gave my resume to an ExxonMobil recruiter that attend a job expo at my university. A few days later I got an email telling me that they wanted to interview me on my university's campus.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to sell out an idea to someone.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Interview

All communications were via telephone and text message- no emails which was very strange. First Round interview was quite typical- basic qualifications and leadership. Second round contained 6 interviews, 3 technical and 3 leadership.

Interview Questions

• Questions about specific components of a refining facility and how would they have to be changed depending on different weather events.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

campus interview was very good 1-on-1. done by former graduates of same university. results really depend on how you hit it off with interviewer. min GPA requirements too.

Interview Questions

• what are your weaknesses, where do you see yourself in 5years, why choose exxonmobil and the petrochemical industry   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied on-line. Online tests and then very quick response for a telephone interview and then an on-site interview. Telephone interview was around 25min and the on-site interview was with two interviewers and lasted around 50min. Both were focused on competency questions on a range of competencies the company values.

Very friendly process but the face-to-face interview involved a lot of travel for just one interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you've had to deal with someone being dishonest.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied through campus website. Got called up for an interview. The interview process was relatively easy with the HR manager and a technical manager. Questions like what do you see yourself doing in 5 years time, why do you want to work for this company and past experience questions (e.g. describe a situation on how you resolve a conflict).

Accounts Receivable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Budapest (Hungary)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was 2 rounds. On the first I received general information by company, tested in English/second language, they were asking general questions by my experience. After I had a Logistic test in 70 minutes. On the second turn it was personal interview, they tested my language skills, experiences and I received a more detailed information by the position and the benefits.

Interview Questions

• Many questions, mainly about my experience and attituted to co-workers and customers.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Online application and online test followed by phone interview (competency based). The interview was relaxing and I really enjoyed it. I passed my phone interview but did not get notification for face to face final stage interview due to the fully filled internship positions.

Controller Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was a very bureaucratic process. I first applied online at Exxon's career website, the other day I received an e-mail, asking me if I'm interested in another position, I said yes. Following to that I've received an online test, Can't say it was too easy, mostly time consuming questions. Later I've got another e-mail asking my availability for the language and accounting phone test. I took the test on the following week. The lady was very polite asking me some basic accounting questions, kinda what is balance sheet, some examples to assets or liabilities, where would I put a debtor (in A/L?) At the and of the conversation she asked my availability to the final HQ interview in case I'd be selected, the thing is I was based in another country and they don't do the final interview online. So I asked for 10 days notice before the interview. They got back to me after 6-7 weeks, maybe more, I almost forget about them. So they invited me to the HQ. I was expecting them to covering my travel/visa expenses, but no, I paid for everything, since I really wanted the job I didn't care. I flew to Budapest, the office environment was looking really professional and safe. At first I got two interviewers (managers or seniors), the interview was totally behavioral and last for 1 hour. They were really nice and made me feel comfortable. They were noting my answers but not the examples I told them, they were noting how I took an action on the case. So after one hour I went to the lobby and waited for my second interview, had like a 10 min break, and then two other interviewers came to take me to the interview room. They were really nice as well, mostly similar behavioral questions, at the end I've been asked some technical questions about accounting, mostly about financial statements in general and the changes on the financial statements when the company make sales. Wasn't too hard. And some logical questions which have no correct answers, just want to see how you think. (how many gas station there are in Budapest-you need to make assumptions based on demographics, using population, public transport usage, car usage etc). So after the interview I told them I'll be in Hungary for until the weekend. I was expecting to hear the result till that time, however I didn't. So once I came back to my country I received an offer, no negotiation on salary. I accepted, the following process was very complicated. As I wasn't based in Hungary, they were asking for documents I can't provide like address card, tax number etc, and I had to go to the HQ again for the drug&health test, and to provide some Hungarian documents like criminal certificate. Exxon also has partnership with company providing services to Expatriates like me. I should say, comparing to other expat companies it wasn't so professional and they've caused me a lot of troubles. Anyway after a long time I get together all my documents and applied for the residence permit at the Hungarian embassy in my home country. Had no problem with the documents.

Interview Questions

• Accounting phone questions:
      -What is balance sheet, income statement related questions
      -Where would you put the debtors, assets or liabilities

HQ interview:
      1st round: behavioral questions, what did you take action in a event ... kinda questions.
      Where you didn't agree with a team member, where you flex the company rules to achieve a goal(and another way around)....

2nd round: behavioral questions similar to same round and some technical questions such as describe me the changes when exxon sells gas.

1 Answer

Year Placement Interview

Interview

Online application requires only a CV upload followed by yes/no, or select from the available choices questions. (20 min process max). After follows an online numerical test (average difficulty). Completing successfully the test you will be offered a phone interview, followed by a personal interview/assessment center.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Interview

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions

• An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question