ExxonMobil

Updated 10 Oct, 2014

2.8

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I spoke with a recruiter on campus and submitted a resume during our campus' career fair. I was contacted a week or so later for an on-campus interview. The interview was entirely behavioral, "tell me about a time when you dealt with x, y, or z." The interview was pretty relaxed and the interviewer did a good job of making it seem rather informal. Be sure to prepare specific examples of projects or teams you have worked on.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked specifically whether I had experience in data analysis and making recommendations for process changes based on that analysis.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

It was a 30 minute, on campus interview which focused on my resume and interest in being a geologist. At the end I was asked to fill out an application online.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I did not have any in-person contact with the interviews before the interview date. I was emailed about 10 days prior to the interview and told to pick a timeslot on my college career website. I just picked the time and it was approved. I showed up and participated in the 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why shouldn't you work for us? Why would you be bad for the company?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

Simple behavioral style interview. Consisted of 3 or 4 for questions and a basic description of ExxonMobil. Lasted about 45 minutes

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked in a team and one team member was difficult to work with, and what did you do to handle it?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2010.

The interview took place at my University (UTEP) at the student union center. A current employee greeted me and took attendance of other students coming in to interview. While waiting she tried starting conversation with myself and the other students. Most of the questions had to do with her position and her past experiences.
    TIP:
    I took this first encounter as a pre interview so I was sure not to engage into mundane or complex conversation. I kept my words minimal but very engaging. Example: so how was your senior year (since she was an alumni). This seem to have work well since every time someone else would try to converse with her she would continue on with that conversation with me instead of the person who began it.

When my interviewer was ready we went into a small (very small) room with a very small table with her chair and my chair directly across from one another. ( akward at first but I was slightly prepared since my communications teacher said that situation could happen). After all introductions were made she began to explain how the interview would go and that to expect any type of question at any time. Then disaster struck due to the actions of the university career center since they gave her a very outdated resume.
    TIP:
    HAVE AN EXTRA RESUME OR ANY INFORMATION DOCUMENT IN HAND I was already prepared and had my current resume with me but be sure to do the Sam as well but let them ask if they want it in my case she needed it.

After I cleared up the confusion we had a laugh (seeing how the old resume had my experience making pizzas) and that mishap was a good icebreaker for the interview to start. She had documents with questions that focused and the kind of person I am and my behavioral tendencies.
    TIP:
    Know before hand times where you made good decisions bad decisions, how you resolved conflict with others etc be sure to put in details that show how your thought process went and paraphrase technical parts ( as you may not be interviewing with someone in a similar field in my case she was civil engineering and I am electrical) but stress the positive even with the questions that focus on your negative aspects.

The answers I gave were put into three sections, she made it clear that the best section to be categorized in was the star section meaning a very satisfactory response. And the other two were for moderate and not satisfactory. This may help to ease any anxiety you might have when you see them writing things down. After jumping back and forth throuhgh questions she had asked me if I had any questions for her.

TIP 1: if you interview and you reached this point and you had skipped a question they asked this is the time to go back to be sure you earn another star. This happened to me so this is what I did and i threw in a brief explanation of the type of person I am.

TIP 2: if you didn't skip any questions then be sure you have done your homework and know some questions to the job that your interested in depending on the which field your interviewer is in be sure to have technical and non- technical questions in mind if you still draw a blank just ask about the diference between upstream and downstream.

Interview Questions
    • What was a bad decision you made   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when someone refused to listen to you and how you resolved the matter.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in May 2010.

well they wanted to know about the background of the company then they asked tell me about yourself later we discussed projects undertaken

Interview Questions
    • how willl you handle a stressful situation in work   View Answer