Express

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales/Stock Associate Interview

Sales/Stock Associate
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied via their website. About a week later, I received a phone call in which I had a mini interview (sort of like a screening process). I was told to come in for an interview 2 days after the phone call.

It was a group interview (5 other candidates) and lasted around 30-40 minutes. I was told that there was another round of interviews the hour before; I think the store was having a big hiring (so they can train/ do orientation together or something along those lines). We sat in a small room in their back office and just went around the circle, answering the managers' questions.

Questions asked:
- Give us a little introduction about yourself.
- Why do you want to work here?
- How did you hear about this job?
- What does customer service mean to you?
- Tell me about a time where you received really great customer service.
- Where do you see yourself (what position) when working at Express? (and why?)

Interview Question – All of the questions came right out of the questions posted here on Glassdoor and Indeed.ca employee interview reviews (maybe 5-7 in total?).

I would say the most difficult questions was the very last one: Do you have any questions for me?
  View Answer

Midtown Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Express in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and a month later got a call from their HR department. I think there was meant to be a phone interview but they just told me to go to the Express location and do my interview there with the managers. It ended up being a group interview.

Interview Question – What was your favourite and least favourite part about your job in customer service before?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details Applied online. They called and set up an interview a week later. My interview was one week from the call. There were supposed to be five of us in the interview, but only two showed up including myself. I read every single interview question on GlassDoor which prepared me.

We went into the back room of the store and it was a 2:2 interview. (supposed to be 2:5). The interview lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes but it felt like 20 minutes. The manager did almost all of the talking which was nice. It was very conversational. They were nice and they weren't trying to trip you up.

They make a point to comment on your clothing to see what you're wearing and why you're wearing it. Dress nicely, and wear something from Express!

At the end of the interview, they wanted 2-3 references so make sure you have them otherwise you look unprepared. They called my references within 24 hours. They gave me a call the 48 hours later and told me that i'd be starting in a week.

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Express in November 2012.

Interview Details I applied for the job online and didn't hear back from the company for almost two months. When I did hear back, the SM e-mailed me at around 1am asking me if I was available for an interview that same day at 5pm. The interview was a group interview with about 6 other people. The questions were simple and easy, and the interview was over in about 45 minutes. I was contacted the next day with a job offer.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations - they didn't even tell me my salary until I accepted.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied on their website, and got a call within a few days. It was a group interview where the manager asked a question and we all just took turns answering. Nothing too out of the ordinary for a retail job.

Interview Question – What's your greatest weakness   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details Asked about my education and desire working for the company. Discussed future goals, eye for fashion, and trends. Discussed my availability and what kind of position I was seeking.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but possibly of promotion to Fashion Expert.

Brownsville, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

Interview Details Got called a week after applied. Went to group interview in dress attire.Shirt, slacks, dress shoes. You need to take at least 3 references that you're gonna have to write down in your application they have, but instead what I did was printed out my references and made it look professional with a references template from MS Word. The manager interviewed us and asked us to introduce ourselves. I told her 'My name is __ but everyone calls me __. I'm 18, I recently graduated from __ and I decided to take a break from school because I want to get some real life experience." Sweet short and to the point. TIPS: 1. Try to talk as much as possible, not about whatever you wanna say but just be interactive and let the manager know you know how to communicate and not afraid to talk because they don't want shy people. (everyone says I'm shy, yet I was the one talking the most there) 2. Look at all the interview questions posted on this website for Express, memorize and answer to all of them. The manager is just going to get a list of questions and ask anyone at random so be prepared. 3.SMILE, when the manager says something to the group, say something back as quick as possible so he/she knows you're real interested. 4.Stand out by dressing the nicest, say good morning/afternoon, shake hands, thank yous. So they said they were gonna call back the next week (4-10 days after) but they never did.They called back the week after that week and said they were really busy. If you think you did good in the interview, be patient and wait for the call.Overall, good short interview (15 min. max).

Interview Question – Why Express?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No experience so I got min. wage.

Express Sales Associate Interview

Express Sales Associate
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

Interview Details I went in personally to the stores asking if they were hiring and was referred to their website. The very first person I ended up talking to was the Hiring Manager, Dani, she is so extremely sweet and fun to talk to. I went and applied online that same day, Friday, I was called 2 days later to have a group interview on the coming Thursday. The interview process was very simple. Dani brought us to the back room of the store and we all sat around a table. She asked us for our names and why we believed we would make a good asset to the company and what our strengths were. We were also asked, How do you believe selling is different than customer service?; What past experiences have you had in selling?; What experiences have you had that you were in a stressful, multitasking, situation?; Who are you, and why do we want you as an employee?; Where do you see yourself in 10 years?. Thats all I can remember at the moment, but they were very general questions. They also allowed us to ask questions of them. Ask questions like: What do you expect from your employees?; Are there many opportunities to move up in the company? Those are the questions I asked and they were impressed, everyone else was asking questions like, "whats been your favorite part of working here; what have you learned most from this job?" At the end of the interview we were all told that we'll receive a callback within the next few days with our status. We shook hands, and left the interview. It went pretty well. I received a call on Saturday asking for one more reference, because my current references weren't answering their phones. So I got her one more reference, she called them, called me back, and offered me a job, which I happily accepted. I will be attending orientation this coming Thursday.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's not the kind of job you can negotiate salary with. You should be going in before-hand knowing what you're applying for, and what your states current minimum wage is, and what to expect for your hourly wage.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online. Next week, got a call for a group interview with 4 other people. At the end of the interview, the co-manager said we needed a reference to call that week, so next wk we can find out whether or not we got the job.

The interview was pretty low-key. No clique questions asked. She actually thought some up on her own.
(I haven't gotten a call. Just waiting for next wk)

Interview Questions

Modesto, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details I applied online and received a call back after a few days for a group interview. The group interview went smoothly, was about 7-9 people and we took turns answering questions. Questions included:
Why do you want to work here?
How would you be described in a high school reunion in three words?
What's the difference between selling a product and customer service?
It took about 20 minutes total for the interview. I received a call asking for a reference, and a week later was offered the position.
Overall was a friendly yet to the point interview :)
Very excited to be working for Express!

Interview Question – Is the customer always right?
I liked this question because we got some varied answers in our group. I wouldn't consider it a difficult question, but just to provide something here.
  Answer Question

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!