Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Expedia.

First round of interview was with HR. General questions about experience, soft skill questions (greatest strength, weakness etc). Next was a skype technical interview: A few technical questions to answer such as the difference between using a hashtable and a dictionary, composition, etc. After the verbal questions was a coding question about compressing a string. After this interview is onsite interview around 6 people a bunch of developers and managers ask questions ranging from technical, agile and soft skill questions. Not chance to breath or take a break, it was intense. Lasted about 5 hours and was quite tough. Not much on data structures and algorithm questions mostly have to have a very strong understanding of JAVA.

Interview Questions
    • What do you not like about scrum?
      List as many collection types in java?
      whats the difference between a linked list and an array list?
      compare soap vs rest.
      Write a factorial recursive function
      Remove all duplicates from an array?
      Access modifiers for classes and interfaces.
        Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Senior Technical Operations Analyst Interview

Five interviews with different people: Manager, Human Resources, Director, Coworker. Each interview lasted 1 hour. In my case, I was in another country so we used Skype to communicate.

Interview Questions
    • I have been asked to play an intelligence game. It was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview process was fairly fast but a bit heavy. There were 4 technical interviews and 1 HR. It turns out to be not too difficult as some questions are duplicated in all the interviews.

Negotiation was done through a recruiter and not a lot was negotiable.

Program Manager Interview

Very disorganized and unpleasant experience. Started quite standard with an initial phone screening and a conversation afterward with the hiring manager and the VP. Oddly they indicated to me that there were two other roles that I was being considered for that I did not apply to. By the end of both phone interviews (hiring manager and VP) I was told that they wanted to fly me out. Heard nothing from either or the recruiter for 3 weeks. Then received an email message from the recruiter that I was no longer in consideration but suggested I apply elsewhere. Total waste of time, I do not mind not being chosen but the "cone of silence" treatment for so long is unprofessional.

Associate Market Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

phone screening interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interviews & skype interview.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate the base salary slightly higher.

E-Commerce Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in January 2012.

Applied online. Was contacted the next day for a telephone interview. Met with hiring manager for 1hr interview 1 week later. Had a 5hr long interview with co-workers, manager and senior managers, 1hr with each person. Then met with GM for 1hr after 2 weeks. Received an offer but declined. The process went extremely smooth, the HR recruiter was very professional and one of the best I ever dealt with. All the managers and team members were extremely friendly and cool.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your experience as it relates to e-commerce   Answer Question
    • What's your ethnic background and where did you come to Canada from?   Answer Question

Final salary that was offered was $5000 less than I had quoted to the HR recruiter. I was disappointed that a company that portrays itself as such a cool and progressive environment would undercut me lie this. Another reason why I rejected the job was that two of the interviewers asked me discriminatory questions about my race, religion and place of origin. That gave me a negative image of those employees and company.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Contacted at University campus fair by recruiter. They were quick with the process and scheduled an on campus initial screen next day. Had a 1-1 to coding and behavioral interview with a employee. They were cheerful and wanted neat and clean solutions to the problems

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how technology will evolve in next decade and what do you see coming. Followed by a question on trees - how to find common ancestor of two nodes.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

There was a tech question at the career fair, and then an onsite interview which includes three rounds. The first round was a brain teaser interview. The second round was a recursive programming question. The third round was questions on objective programming.

Interview Questions
    • Please design a object class of anything in the real world.   Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Entire process took about a month (from submitting application until offer was accepted).
    I received a an initial email from a hiring recruiter out of their main office stating that he would like to schedule an initial phone interview/screening with me. I scheduled it for the following day which was on a Thursday. It lasted about half an hour and they simply wanted to get an idea about my hotel experience, nothing too technical or complicated. The phone screen went over very well and I was contacted within an hour of it being over to schedule my "technical interview" the following day via Skype. This, in my opinion was the most difficult interview as they ask you questions that require you to be creative with your answers. There was also some role-playing, which I could tell was used to see how I would react to certain situations on the spot and to see your personality. This one lasted about an hour. She said not to be surprised if I didn't hear back from Expedia for 1-2 weeks as the process does take a while. I was eventually interviewed by three more people at the main Dallas office, each higher up in the company. All interviews went over very well and I was called for a verbal offer only a few days after the in-person interviews. The company is full of very smart and creative people, and it is very obvious that they are looking for sharp, young innovative people with a great sense of determination. I was able to have a one-on-one chat with a person in the position in which I was applying for and asked him how he liked his job and he had nothing but great things to say about the company. It was very good to hear considering he had been with the company for almost two years and was in the process of moving for a promotion (another great sign since he said they promote from within). The Dallas office was beautiful and everyone was working hard, however they all were SMILING. This is always a great sign of a company since interviewing is a two way street! Be warned, you must do your homework if you want to interview with this company as it is not easy!

Interview Questions
    • If I told you there were 150 new hotels that weren't partnered with Expedia in the (insert city name here), how would you go about finding out each hotel, along withe detailed informations of each?   Answer Question
    I was extremely happy with the offer that I was given. The base salary was more than I expected, and I was offered a very nice signing bonus on top of that!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in September 2014.

I was invited to the drive. Had 1 round F2F.

Interview Process

Questions were :

1) Find if a string is rotation of another string ex. abcd , dabc is rotation of abcd
    2) Find min distance between two character in a string ex. a x c a e r r a d e min dis between a and e is 1

Interviewer was good . He asked me to describe first approach and then write neat code for both problems. He was not in hurry and gave me sufficient time to think the approach and write code.

Interview Questions

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!