Expedia

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
Updated 26 Feb, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia in December 2014.

By far, the most professional company and HR process I've ever been through.
    First contacted by their HR person in Texas, quick phone interview. Then they set up a skype interview in two weeks time, with someone on the east coast. Went well, very stiff, but standard, traditional interview questions, kind of scripted. Two weeks later had another skype interview with another manager in Texas..He was very pleasant and more personable. Then two weeks later, they invited me to go visit the hiring manager for a face to face. By the time I got to the face to face, I knew someone else had already been hired.. interviewer's body language was CLOSED FOR BUSINESS! I went home, still kind of hopeful, and then contacted my HR recruiter via email a week later. she said that the hiring manager went with another candidate (surprise). I honestly thought i had the job up until I sat in front of the hiring manager with bad body language, that said it all.

I would definitely apply for another position with this company, it was a good experience from the get go, they were polite, prompt and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Asked every time about Rev Par. Why do you want to work for expedia. If I asked your friends/family what you knew most about, what would they say.   View Answer

Associate Market Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in November 2014.

Applied online. Had a telephonic interview within a week. Then I had a technical Skype interview with an area manager that went really well. Its been over a month since I have heard from them. I followed up with the assigned recruiter at Expedia through email but go no response. I left a few voicemails still never heard from her. I have the right to know even if I wasn't selected for the next round. So instead of waiting forever, I took up another job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Explain negotiation experience? How would you entertain a potential client if he is not interested?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Expedia in October 2014.

First, HR screening interview: few and easy questions (professional experience, salary expectation, qualities, ...) then Skype interview with an a regional manager based in US, role-play questions focused on associate market manager missions and basic calculus.. The day after Skype interview with area manager based in Toronto. Role play questions as well. The next step would have been face to face interview in Toronto offices but did not make it.

Interview Questions
    • What's the biggest risk you have taken?   Answer Question
    • How would you convince a hotel to work with Expedia if their occupancy rate is at 98%?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia.

First round of interview was with HR. General questions about experience, soft skill questions (greatest strength, weakness etc). Next was a skype technical interview: A few technical questions to answer such as the difference between using a hashtable and a dictionary, composition, etc. After the verbal questions was a coding question about compressing a string. After this interview is onsite interview around 6 people a bunch of developers and managers ask questions ranging from technical, agile and soft skill questions. Not chance to breath or take a break, it was intense. Lasted about 5 hours and was quite tough. Not much on data structures and algorithm questions mostly have to have a very strong understanding of JAVA.

Interview Questions
    • What do you not like about scrum?
      List as many collection types in java?
      whats the difference between a linked list and an array list?
      compare soap vs rest.
      Write a factorial recursive function
      Remove all duplicates from an array?
      Access modifiers for classes and interfaces.

Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Senior Technical Operations Analyst Interview

Five interviews with different people: Manager, Human Resources, Director, Coworker. Each interview lasted 1 hour. In my case, I was in another country so we used Skype to communicate.

Interview Questions
    • I have been asked to play an intelligence game. It was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview process was fairly fast but a bit heavy. There were 4 technical interviews and 1 HR. It turns out to be not too difficult as some questions are duplicated in all the interviews.

Negotiation was done through a recruiter and not a lot was negotiable.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

I got approached by senior recruiter from Bellevue for the job in Montreal. 2 telephone and 3 in person interviews later I as onboard! Expedia does select its candidates carefully which contributes to the quality of environment.

Interview Questions
    • Considering that it's a Dev I position, I didn't get any big surprises during the interview. However I've heard that for higher positions it can be pretty tough on the technical side.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was pretty short in my case. The initial offer was above my expectation so I just went for it. I did notify the HR and the hiring manager of upcoming vacation that was already planned and they had no problem with me taking 2 weeks within first 2 months of employment.

Program Manager Interview

Very disorganized and unpleasant experience. Started quite standard with an initial phone screening and a conversation afterward with the hiring manager and the VP. Oddly they indicated to me that there were two other roles that I was being considered for that I did not apply to. By the end of both phone interviews (hiring manager and VP) I was told that they wanted to fly me out. Heard nothing from either or the recruiter for 3 weeks. Then received an email message from the recruiter that I was no longer in consideration but suggested I apply elsewhere. Total waste of time, I do not mind not being chosen but the "cone of silence" treatment for so long is unprofessional.

Associate Market Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

phone screening interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interviews & skype interview.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate the base salary slightly higher.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in October 2012.

I applied online, to an interview located at a job fair. It was a first round interview, with 30 minutes allotted time to speak with a person in management. The whole process was pretty straight forward, with the majority of the time spent in behavioural interview questions. Mostly very broad questions that focused on soft skills that would be applicable to the company/position.

Interview Questions
    • What skills can you bring from your degree to the job?   Answer Question