Expedia

Getting the Interview

253 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Market Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details phone screening interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interviews & skype interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the base salary slightly higher.

Very Easy Interview

E-Commerce Analyst Interview

Toronto, ON

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in January 2012.

Interview Details Applied online. Was contacted the next day for a telephone interview. Met with hiring manager for 1hr interview 1 week later. Had a 5hr long interview with co-workers, manager and senior managers, 1hr with each person. Then met with GM for 1hr after 2 weeks. Received an offer but declined. The process went extremely smooth, the HR recruiter was very professional and one of the best I ever dealt with. All the managers and team members were extremely friendly and cool.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Final salary that was offered was $5000 less than I had quoted to the HR recruiter. I was disappointed that a company that portrays itself as such a cool and progressive environment would undercut me lie this. Another reason why I rejected the job was that two of the interviewers asked me discriminatory questions about my race, religion and place of origin. That gave me a negative image of those employees and company.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in June 2012.

Interview Details It helps to have a referral from inside the company. First call is with HR and they ask you a bunch of general questions based on the position requirements. My next interview was with the hiring manager, their team members, and one person from outside of the group but who would work closely with this position. Then came the offer.

Interview Question – What type of personality trait do you have the hardest time working with in a co-worker?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate salary but not anything else.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in November 2013.

Interview Details Step 1 - Phone screen with a recruiter. This was a basic 10 minute chat.
Step 2 - Call with Hiring manager. The HM missed our first call which resulted in lost personal time I had used for the interview. Had to reschedule with them.
Step 3 - In person group interview. Met with 7 people at Expedia's office. Overall the experience was disorganized and disappointing. First, they never sent me detail on the JD as I had requested, so I went into the in person interview blind. Second, they bumped up my interview start time by an hour and did not notify me until a couple hours before my interview, which caused me to rush out of my current job and get there in time. Interview was also not set up with the hiring manager, so they had to reschedule some of my sessions so they could fit the manager in. Then, while in the middle of spending the afternoon interviewing they said they were also going to do a couple more phone screens. Very surprised that they couldn't gain the necessary opinions in the time already allotted and this stretched the process out over several more weeks.
Step 4 - Two more phone screens
Never heard back from them. No feedback whatsoever, not even an official decline. In total, invested a lot of personal time over many days for this process and two follow up emails were ignored. I don't mind not getting the job, but a formal notification to close the loop, especially after the negative experience, would have been professional.

Interview Question – Questions were very basic and high level. The question repeated most often was "What is your weakness?"   Answer Question

Manager, Software Development Interview

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Expedia in March 2012.

Interview Details I knew some folks working at Expedia, so I was interested in joining. I reached-out to them, and talked about a couple positions I found online. I applied online, attached my resume and cover letter, and received a phone call within a couple days.

The interview loop was with 5 people, each for 1 hour; there was a 30 minute "interview free" lunch (lunch provided by Expedia)--this was great benefit to me, as it allowed me to reflect on the first 2 interviews of the loop.

Interview Question – Tell me about the most challenging production issue you've faced.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations weren't difficult. The original offer was pretty good, so there was just 1 negotiation.

Content Editor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details First Phone Interview: general questions about education and previous work experiences. Specific questions about travel agency companies, competitors of Expedia, difference between leisure travelers and business travelers.

Second Round of Interview: a writing test. First: write the content for a hotel announcement, according to the given requests. Second: edit and proofread a hotel announcement.

Very kind and professional interviewers.

Interview Question – Most difficult: proofreading of the text.
Unexpected: Is Ryanair an Expedia's competitor?
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Market Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details I applied online for a DC position, and had a first round phone interview. Immediately after the phone interview, I was told the DC position had been filled, but they wanted to consider me for other locations. I then had several more phone interviews for different locations, before going out to the Dallas office and having four in-person interviews. Was notified a week later about the outcome.

Interview Question – Who is a historical figure you look up to?
If this wall was a brick wall, and you were a brick, where would you be in the wall? What impact does this (your location) have on the wall as a whole?
  Answer Question

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details HR did a phone pre-screen. Was onsite for about 4 -5 hours of technical interviews with fellow engineers, directors, and senior directors. Technical interviews were standard set of questions for the skillset required. Took a while to hear back after the on-site interview - almost a week.

Interview Question – Oddest questions were around how I would solve their current challenges.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Applications Engineer Interview

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in February 2013.

Interview Details 5 rounds of interview

Interview Question – Related to systems and web architecture   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Product Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Interview Details 1 phone interview with Principal Product Manager. It's important to note that I feel strongly my interview was not an interview at all, but more for information/idea sourcing, which is becoming increasingly common among companies. The actual job opening, may or may not have existed, but it was clear from right off the bat, the interviewing manager was looking for monetization inspiration about a future product offering they were prepping to put out. Every question revolved around the new product feature, and the lack of hiring sincerity was fairly obvious.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Expedia

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!

Expedia Videos

Expedia – Why Work for Us?

Why Expedia? Because mornings are the best when you love your job. At Expedia, Inc. we are passionate about travel and revolutionizing it through the power of technology. Across the globe, our family of brands makes… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Expedia interview questions and advice. All 253 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Expedia employees and interview candidates.