Epsilon

Updated 9 Dec, 2014
Updated 9 Dec, 2014

2.7

Developer Interview

If you have a heart beat your hired! They put little effort into the hiring process which is probably because they don't want you see through the smokey mirror.

Interview Questions
    I stalled on accepting the offer so they up the offer.

Associate Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Epsilon.

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. They were looking for recent grads so I thought it was a scam. Turns out they're legit. Although the annoying job title is still misleading ... this is a sales job, but it seems like no company is willing to just come out and say that. I guess because who wants to go into sales?

I had a phone interview with someone at HQ since I live out of state from where they were hiring. The phone interview was pretty standard, lasted about 10 minutes, and asked mostly about my experiences on my resume and some behavioral questions. After that, I was surprised to hear that they wanted to fly me out. The phone interview went fine, but it wasn't phenomenal or anything.

So a few days later I was on a plane. It was a little annoying that they scheduled interview so close to when my flight landed as I had to catch a cab and the ride lasted 40 minutes, which ended in me being nearly 10 minutes late. I also didn't have any contact numbers for the people I was actually interviewing with, but fortunately they were understanding.

The interview was panel style, meaning I was at the head of a big intimidating conference table and being grilled by 5 people at once. I prepared quite a bit beforehand using questions from glassdoor and other standard interview questions, which served me well. With a panel style interview, you tend to get that 'good cop/ bad cop' dynamic. I felt like I was able to win some of them over but others remained stony faced and unimpressed. I was easily able to answer questions about my college and internship experiences as well as the really standard interview questions (like greatest strength and greatest weakness, tell me about yourself, why Epsilon, favorite and least favorite courses in college) but some of the 'bad cop' questions caught me for a loop. It turns out they would like to know more about you as a person and I did stutter on those questions. I wasn't expecting to be asked my favorite brands or what my hobbies are. Overall, none of them were very friendly and it was definitely not a relaxed atmosphere (as I have read in some other reviews)

The interview lasted about 30 minutes, which was shorter than the 45 minute allotted time but maybe that was due to my tardiness. I was also told by HQ that they were going to plan a lunch with myself and other recent grad hires from the previous year, but even after mentioning that to my interviewers, they seemed to either know nothing about it or had decided I wasn't worthy of it. Either way, it didn't happen and I ended up with quite a bit of free time to kill before my flight back.

My interview was one month ago and I haven't heard a thing from them since, even after following up and sending thank you cards. I have read on other reviews that this company tends to just go dark on people, which I think is very unprofessional. It isn't difficult to send out generic rejection emails to those you interviewed with in person, especially those who flew in from out of state. I can't say I'm too disappointed though. I asked them almost as many questions as they asked me during the interview and their answers were not satisfactory. Either they couldn't answer or their answers were very telling (ie when I asked them all to tell me what they liked best about working at Epsilon, they looked uncomfortable and struggled to come up with answers. After the first two people struggled through their answers, the rest of them kind of copied answers). All in all, just because you get flown in doesn't mean you got the job and it certainly doesn't mean you'll ever hear from them again in any way. They did cover the pricy plane ticket and some very expensive cab fare though... so their loss.

Also, for a recent college grad like myself, being flown out somewhere for an interview is quite an experience. I've never done a panel style interview either, so I feel that I at least improved my interviewing skills throughout this process.

Interview Questions
    • Getting asked about my personal hobbies, my favorite brands (and why), especially after already being asked the "tell me about yourself" question   View Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Epsilon in November 2014.

Job was posted on LinkedIn October 20. I applied via LinkedIn on November 2. On November 11 I received an email from an Epsilon HR recruiter with some further questions. I emailed her some short answers and scheduled a phone call to go a bit further in depth. The next day, I spoke on the phone with the recruiter and did an initial phone screen. November 13 a second recruiter emailed me with direction from the first to schedule an in-person interview for me. I sent a "Thank you" note to the first recruiter that day. November 17 I met with the hiring manager for around an hour. Sent a "thank you" note to her that afternoon. November 18 I got an email from the second recruiter to schedule a second in-person interview to meet with the first recruiter and the Senior VP of client services. November 24 I met with the SVP for an hour as well. The first recruiter requested 3 business references that day. All three of them received a call that day. I received an email late that night to follow up from my meeting with the SVP. On November 25, I answered a call from the first recruiter with a job offer.

Both people from the HR department were very friendly and informative. They were always open to my questions and were clear in answering them. They always were in a good mood. The hiring manager was very direct and clear in her questions, but that comes from knowing what she was looking for, and knowing what she wanted for this position. The SVP was also very knowledgable, and forthcoming about the needs for the department.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like least about your last position?   View Answer
    • What would your previous managers say about you?   View Answer
    In my first phone screen I was asked my salary requirements. I gave a range. The verbal offer given was at the top of my original requirements. I did some further research and found the national average was a bit higher than I had suggested, and asked if they could come in closer to that, I'd sign it right away. HR spoke with the hiring manager, they accepted my counter-offer, and HR emailed me back with the new higher offer.

Associate Business Systems Analyst Interview

Pretty standard on campus recruiting process. I applied through my school's website and was contacted to do an interview on campus at my school's career center about a week later. The recruiter was very friendly and informative and the interview was fairly casual with your standard behavioral questions. Nothing too technical, mostly just about myself and my resume and skills, etc. I have not yet heard back about a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used your problem solving and analytical skills   Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epsilon.

HR contacted me and scheduled for initial telephone screening. Later I got a call to visit campus for 4 rounds of interviews. The first two rounds were technical, by a senior developer and technical manager. Second two rounds was discussion about my projects and experiences by higher level managers.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epsilon in October 2014.

I enjoyed each and every step in Epsilon's hiring process. The process began with an application on their website through LinkedIn. I received a call the next day from a member of Epsilon's recruiting team. The recruiter played an active role in the process from the day I applied to my first day of work. After speaking with the recruiter, the next step was a set of technical interviews. Although very in-depth, I enjoyed these because it gave me a solid understanding of what they were looking for and how my skills would be applicable. After the technical interviews, I was invited for an on-site interview where I met the hiring manager, a member of the team and the Group VP. Each and every interview gave me a positive impression of the company. It is clear that Epsilon hires passionate people who love what they do! I am very impressed with Epsilon and I am positive that Epsilon's customers have the same experiences.

Interview Questions
    • An unexpected question that came up was related to leadership. The interviewer wanted to know how I would handle multiple, critical situations that required immediate attention.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was excellent. We discussed compensation, benefits and more. By the time I accepted the offer, I felt it was positive for Epsilon and myself.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epsilon.

Interviewer was very friendly and welcoming. I thought it was going well-the questions mostly involved behavioral situations and my resume- but after the interview, they never sent any rejection letter, which was really annoying.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. Just be prepared to explain your experiences working with data in general, in classes or internships. Ultimately, I think I didn't have enough of the type of experience they wanted.   Answer Question

Associate Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Epsilon.

There was an initial phone screen that led to an on-site interview with 4 other college seniors from university recruiting processes. Current position holders answered questions for 10 minutes about anything the interview group was curious about and each interviewee was sent to a room to be interviewed by 5 different employees in various areas of the company including account management. Questions were varied and mainly behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about fitting in specifically in the department within the large and multi-faceted company   View Answer

Senior Strategy Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epsilon.

The interview process was unclear. Based on initial conversation with the recruiter, it included some phone interviews and an in person in the office with the team I would potentially work with. However, it was haphazard and seemed like they added a presentation request at the last minute.

After four phone interviews including two client services SVP and two with a Sr. Strategy Director (who requested the presentation for the second phone meeting, it seemed on a whim), the process went dead. This does not include the recruiter screening. No explanation was given of how they decided I was not a fit etc. The presentation received positive feedback and they indicated they would invite me in for an in person meeting in the local office. But there was never any response after that. This proved that they weren't the right company for me. They lacked transparency and basic professional courtesy, in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Last minute request for a presentation to be turned around in 3 days.
      Question unrelated to the posted role and expected responsibilities.

View Answer

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epsilon in June 2014.

Most terrible recruitment experience. If the HR department reflects the company, I am definitely going to a company that does not value my time.

I was contacted by email by HR and then the recruiter I was assigned to did not reach out. A week later I was sent a follow up email and I said I had not heard from the recruiter. Recruiter called at 8am on a Monday and I called within 5 minutes later and no response. On that Friday, I called again to follow up and he said my resume looked good and he was asking a team if they wanted to interview me. A week went by and no call, so I called him again and he said they were interested and they wanted to schedule an interview. There was no qualifying or interviewing from HR. So far I have called to follow up each time- the HR recruiter did not call me.

I had an additional interview set up with another team as well for that day through a networked contact.

I received an email with no instructions just an address. I responded to the email and asked for more instructions and for details about who I was meeting with and I received no response.

When I got on site- it took over 30 minutes to find the recruiter. I'll mention that they were moving offices, but this is not a valid excuse and here's why. I called his office number, cell number and emailed him and let him know I was there. When he did show up- I asked him where we needed to go and who we were meeting with. He said he didn't know and we needed to go to his desk to find out where and who. Luckily, the interviewer called my cell directly since it appeared I was late. Interviewer was able to give me directions to the meeting room. After the meeting, I asked where my second interview was and there were no details communicated.

I tracked down the recruiter again by calling and emailing and no response. I saw him hanging out with friends in the lobby and I walked over to him and asked where my second interview was. Again, he said he said he did not know. He went up to his desk and 20 minutes later, came down and said "Oh looks like they are out of town. If they want to talk to you we will get you out here again."

I have not heard from the recruiter and I have no interest in pursuing this opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult, thought it was odd that when I asked questions the interview said "Oh I didn't know you were going to ask questions."   Answer Question