EMC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Burlington, ON

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

Interview Details A recruiter found my resume online, and contacted me for a short phone interview. Then I had a 3-hr phone interview with 2 engineers and 2 managers. Then they flew me to their office, and another round of interviews with the same people.

Interview Question – Questions mostly were related to data structures and linked lists. Some were about Linux commands and general database questions. Interviewers were helpful in providing clues as needed.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC in February 2013.

Interview Details First contact was was the recruiter: simple questions regarding my background, experience, availability, etc. Call only last 30min.

Second round (in person): Hiring manager, Sr. Technical Employees (2), Sr. Client Services Management, and a Program Manager. The interviews were one after the other and lasted about three hours total.

Third round was with Sr. Management and was only an hour long.

All standard interview questions. Less on the behavioural and more on past experiences.

Interview Question – Which three characteristics best describe your personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no flexibility in the offer, however, it was close to my target.

GBS Global Business Services Graduate Program EMC Interview

GBS Global Business Services Graduate Program EMC
Cork (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Interview Details I had to initally do 5 assessments online that consisted of deductive reasoning, verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, then I was asked to do a phone interview. the phone interview lasted around 40 minutes and I am waiting for a response. It was ok, they went through my cv and asked about my background, asked about what I knew about EMC and how give example of leadership

Interview Question – How would you get a company to invest in EMC technologies   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in February 2012.

Interview Details 1 phone interview + 1 onsite interview, met with about 4 people.

Questions are very easy, about process management, write simple code, smart pointer, and how you debug a program.

Then waited over 1 month, the HR contacted you and gave you a number of compensation. You have two choices: accept or decline, no room for negotiation.

Interview Question – Write a smart pointer class.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. HR just gave you a number and you either accept it or decline it.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Hopkinton, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Received call from HR within a day. He yawned in my ear for the entire call and apparently thought that was okay. Was a bit rude as well. After a few standard questions, went straight to salary requirements. This Sr. position salary was $6K lower than my previous job which was not sr. level. He said he would check on bonus or any other way to match that and get back to me the next day. I never heard from him again. Sent a follow up email a week later but he didn't have the courtesy to answer it.

Very disappointing experience with this company that allegedly has such a great reputation. Imagine listening to someone yawning in your ear during an interview!

Interview Question – Out of the gate wanted to talk about salary and not much more.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer I Interview

Technical Support Engineer I
Draper, UT (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview Details EMC is more worried about soft skills in the interview rather than technical expertise. The better your expertise the better the salary and position. However, without the soft skills you will not work here. I was picked up by an internal EMC recruiter then contacted by her for a 1:1 interview. She met me and walked me in to a 2:1 session. Afterwards I was asked to come back in for a final interview. It was to be 2:1 again but the person opt'd to go 1:1.

Interview Question – Most positions require RAID, networking, enterprise storage knowledge. They will ask you how much you know about EMC. They like it if you know their history a little bit.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They sent an email (pdf) with the offer in which I had so long to reply.

Storage Engineer Interview

Storage Engineer

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details one phone interview with an engineer

one phone interview with a manager

one onsite interview with a group of engineer and the manager

everyone is polite.

Not every technical.

5-10 technical questions.

1 programming question, very basic.

I was not an expert in storage technology and did not get an offer.

Interview Question – re-describe an engineering solution after heard it   Answer Question

Customer Engineer Interview

Customer Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

Interview Details Slow to interview..long process. Once I got interviewed it took way to long to get an interview and then to make a decision. The interview was about average, and felt that it was very fair. I like working with this company, but you work your butt off.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation...take it or leave it.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details no special comments interview is on captiva inputaccel the projects and how do we configure the Input accel and einput modules. interviewer asked questions regarding the multi module deleting nodes and their parameters

Negotiation Details – not good

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
Hopkinton, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2013.

Interview Details It was a long process from application to offer (about 3 months). Expect to have 4 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview with 3-4 people. Way to political... no one wants to make a decision without vetting it with a commitee.

Interview Question – Many managers at EMC are "Lifers" meaning they have been with the company for 15+ years and they look with skepticism on people who have worked for more than 2-3 companies in their career. It is most difficult to explain to them why you haven't been with the same employer for 10+ years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate a little for salary, stock and vacation time.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!