Duke University

Updated 20 Jan, 2015
Updated 20 Jan, 2015

2.6

Assistant Interview

Had one interview to land a student-worker job. Pretty straightforward. It's not really a matter of whether you fit, more of whether you're willing to do the work. Afterwards, it takes probably a week to get started on a project an working. The payment system is antiquated but I think they're finally moving towards a direct deposit option for all.

Interview Questions
    I took the offer as a stuent.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

Called me via phone and set up an in person interview after a brief phone interview. I went in for the in person interview and thought it went well but didn't hear anything back for a week and a half. Then 2 weeks after I interviewed I received an email that they had hired someone else for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses and why have you not been able to recognize them and turn them into strengths?   Answer Question

IT Support Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

The interview process was a lengthy one. After applying, I didn't hear anything for over a month. Later, I received a phone call from their HR department, and they gave me a phone screen. Next, I got a call from the hiring manager, then later a call from the department manager. They then asked me in for an in-person interview, then asked me to come back for a panel interview and a personality and skills test. It took forever.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   View Answer
    There wasn't much room for negotiation, so make sure to demand the salary you want up front. Duke isn't known for giving big raises either, so you want to lock in your salary at a high number because years later you'll still be making about the same.

Research Analyst Interview

was hired as a contract employee first, simple comfortable interview. Nothing too difficult, boos was nice and understanding offered job immidiately. met hr process was simple there too. overall good experience

Student IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University.

You come in for an interview with Erin, most likely, and one of the student supervisors. They ask you what you know about computers and so long as you know how to maintain your own computer with antivirus software, weekly cleanups, etc you should do fine. The software the OIT uses for clientele's computers just so happened to be the freeware I use on my own computer so I inadvertently showed I was savvy and they seemed pleased.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one. It was very much a behavioral interview   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Director International Projects Interview

applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Campus Sustainability Fellow Interview

Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Questions
    • Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

no negotiation

Fitness Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Duke University.

Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question
    There was none, it was an entry level position.