Dow Jones

Getting the Interview

57 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Negotiation Details – Easy, there was not much room for negotiating

Front End Web Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Question – How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.

Interview Question – Why HR?   Answer Question

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Monmouth Junction, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Question – He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

Interviewed at Dow Jones

Interview Details Be able to show your prospecting skills, cold calling, social networking, etc.

Interview Question – May have to pitch someone over the phone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accepted good starting salary.

Director of Business Development Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Very Easy Interview

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Probably the WORST company to interview with. They are a mess internally. Don't waste your time and energy. They don't respect your time whatsoever. They dragged the process for months and months. After the process, they didn't even have the courtesy of replying back to any of my correspondence. At one point, they said I had the job but then they told me I had to wait a few months. People working here are NOT happy. They finally offered the position 3-4 months after the start of the interview process. I declined. I took another offer with a company that actually respects your time.

Interview Question – None. Questions were easy. Went through the entire process and then they dragged it on for months and months about offering a job.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Culture is a joke, wasted my time, decided I would be extremely unhappy there. Company is in shambles right now. NO funding, NO culture, it's a skeleton of it's past.

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details 1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Question – Four Interview Questions
1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.

Sample inputs & outputs:
          Input:9, Output:F#
          Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
          Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
*You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.

4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)
  Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Fast paced and friendly but a little disorganised/ ad-hoc.

Interview Question – What do you know about this role? (A tricky one considering you're still interviewing for it...)   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details A phone interview was followed by an interview at the beautiful NYC office. It was relaxed, and took place with only one interviewer - the head of department. It lasted around 20 minutes and I was told of my success the same day.

Interview Question – How have you handled a challenging customer interaction in the past? How would you change what you did now, looking back on it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I don't think this starting position is negotiable.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dow Jones

Worked for Dow Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Jones interview questions and advice. All 57 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Dow Jones employees and interview candidates.