Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr, 2015
Updated 13 Apr, 2015

3.1

Human Resources Leadership Rotational Program Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Where do you see social media and HR headed?

Make a video of yourself (Feel free to be creative!)- Don't. They don't care that much about creative. Just make it news related.

Video Interview- pretty basic. All video questions from what I can remember.

For a company offering an HRLDP, how can you expect to develop HR candidates when your HR practices are not up to par?

Interview Questions

• Favorite Book? Behavioral questions. What do you know about Dow Jones?   Answer Question

Customer Service Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the response was actually pretty quick. Within the week I received an email requesting a phone interview. It was a brief discussion about my skills and what I know about the company. Pretty usual. The next morning I got a call at 9:00 am to informe I was invited to the facility for a live interview. I was emailed the details. The campus is beautiful and organized with a daycare on site. Also there is a coffee shop and frozen yogurt stand. All of the employees looked quite happy and relaxed. The interview began with a ten minute writing assessment followed by two face to face interview with two different pairs of managers, all of whom were extremely gracious and warm. I felt very welcome there. It ended with a brief role play session with the customer experience manager, a bubbly British man, who was also very warm and welcoming. Although it was probably the most intense interview I've ever sat through, it was very organized and informative and gave a wonderful impression of how the company works. The interview was today and I was informed they are hiring quickly and all applicants will receive a call by the end of the week with a decision. I am very eager to know if I've been considered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ (US)).

Interview

Entire process took about 6 weeks, had hr interview then dept manager, they asked many questions. Very nice and down to earth people. Be patients I got a call few weeks later when I applied I didn't even remember that I applied for that position. Even after the interview I had to call HR to follow up. It's a union place so ask lots of questions before accepting the job.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through their website, created a powerpoint, as well as submitted a resume, cover letter and short essay. Heard back 3 months later and had a phone interview with HR. Was asked back for a Skype interview with manager of department I applied into. Third round interview over Skype with two executives.

Interview Questions

• How many people are eating pizza in Italy right now? Break down how you could calculate this   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

It was a phone interview. And there was an online test. They send you a link and you can give test at home. The test is to test your technical knowledge The test was for about 2 hours and it was very difficult.

Product Technologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Very poor hiring practices. I got an interview from the campus recruiting event. I met 4 people from different teams working on the same product. I got asked questions related to what I listed on my resume. They asked me some stuff about design patterns and asked me to draw out the complete architecture of one of the complex projects I worked on. Then, one of the guys made me write some code which was pretty straightforward for any CS student. I got called for final interviews a month later for which I had to meet the director who gave me a verbal offer in 2 minutes. Basically, the director just wanted to meet me and he told me I would hear back from the HR.

For a week, no response from the HR. Then, I hear back from her saying I will hear back again in a week or so. This was in October and today is January and I never heard back from them. I tried calling them and emailed them as well but I never got any response. This is the most unprofessional thing I've seen in my entire life. In fact, I wasted about a month thinking I'd get my official offer letter and I'm all set. If they were planning to take this long or even decline me, they could just say it so I'd stop waiting for it.

Customer Service Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Contact by Email
    First interview by Internet (a specific video programme showed questions and recorded the candidate answers on video format)
    Second interview + Roleplay at the DJ Offices (there were at least 3 interviews with different Customer Service Managers + a roleplay with a fourth interviewer)

Interview Questions

• Could you tell me any mistake you made at a past job? How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Low salary

Unix Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones (South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by two managers. One manager was a former Windows administrator who did not have any Unix experience what so ever. He asked questions that were ridiculous and sounded like he found them with Google. Plus he only knew one answer to questions that could have numerous different answers since he did not have any Unix experience. The second was a director who appeared to be very distant from any technical work and asked non-technical clueless questions.
    It was just about the worst interview I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• Tell me five words that describe yourself?   1 Answer

Research Editor Interview

Interview

after a week of submitting application form through the online. I get the phone called from the company and set up the conference interview. Since, I went back to my home country.. There are three sections of interview's process (Asking personal detail, giving scenario, research test) . Total time spend approximately 3 hours including test

Ps, the questions for interview are very general and follow the logic...
    I did not get this job but they are very professional to inform after your following up email.

Interview Questions

• How you going to cope with the high volume of information?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter followed by phone interview followed by in-person interview. Recruiter called to cancel interview the day before the scheduled interview date because the team was "in flux". A month later, the recruiter emails me again and schedules another in-person interview. Took the day off to travel to NYC out of pocket, and chatted with team for an hour. Interview went well. Never heard from them again—though, to be honest, the thought of working next door to Fox News made me queasy anyway.