Dollar Tree

Getting the Interview

123 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in June 2013.

Interview Details I send my resume on line and the next day I got the interview. I was interviewed by the Store Manager and the District Manager about 10 minutes, and they oferred the job on the spot.

Interview Question – None very easy interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on the salary, but you may negotiate in the schedules.

Dollar Tree Cashier Interview

Dollar Tree Cashier
Langley, BC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in January 2012.

Interview Details Phoned after dropping off resume.

Interview Question – Asked why I wanted to work there   Answer Question

Store Manager
Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2008.

Interview Details The interview was very low key, yet to the point. The questions were asked in an open format with easy to answer parts. I was made more to feel like I had someone interested in my future than a new employer. This was a well trained, very experienced interviewer.

Interview Question – What did I dislike about my former employer   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, this company has set rates for starting people in specific jobs. I had been persistant at my attempt to join the company, after four applications online, I got the interview and got the job.

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2010.

Interview Details Apply online for company positions. You will have to interview with the dm which makes the decision to hire you. My interview was based off of situation questions, typically what would you do if. Your past experience will play a major role on how dm will want to place you. If you have what they think it takes for you to be successful as a store manager than you will most likely go into the training program. If you don't have all the leadership ability they think you need they may offer a assistant position.

Interview Question – What would your employer say your greatest weakness is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your salary there is always some room to get more.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Interview

Redding, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2014.

Interview Details I had a recommendation from an assistant manager that I had worked with at another job after finding myself unexpectedly unemployed. The manager seemed almost eager to hire me, though she said "This job is minimum wage." a total of five or more times during the interview. In fact, it all went so quickly I don't even remember if she asked me any real questions of note at all. I think she was trusting her assistant manager fully, which does make me feel kind of bad that I left the job without notice after getting an offer for something better.

Interview Question – It wasn't so much a question, just the frequency at which she mentioned that the job is minimum wage and only about 16 hours a week. I think she uses that as a test to see if the person she is interviewing is desperate enough to work for that little.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Either you accepted the terms, or they found some other desperate person who would, and in this economy there are no shortage of those.

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details Promoted within, but always hiring. Interview process is fairly simple. Common question, why do you want to work for the company, expectation. availability.

Negotiation Details – The salary, not much for an adult but better that I was making and needed at the time.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in May 2011.

Interview Details Was originally brought on as a cashier, so the interview process was fairly easy. I was called in for about a 15-20 minute interview, and was called back the next day with a job offer

Interview Question – most were pretty standard questions   Answer Question

Stocker Interview

Interviewed at Dollar Tree

Interview Details Easy, just depends on the need and season.

Interview Question – The hours aren't always convenient.   Answer Question

Store Clerk Interview

Willimantic, CT (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dollar Tree in February 2014.

Interview Details the process was very smooth and swift. the supervisor at the store wasted no time with me in setting up an appointment, and sitting me down for an interview to be hired.

Interview Question – Why do you think Dollar Tree is the job for you? After all, we are only a dollar store   Answer Question

Store Manager
Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in September 2013.

Interview Details I went to a job fair where I had a brief interview. I had a subsequent phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Question – A lot of focus on getting out stock quickly and stock rotation. I was asked if I had worked in a place that had a heavy stock rotation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked for 8k more then where they normally start managers because of my experience, so they had to go up the ladder to get it approved. That took about a week.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dollar Tree

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree interview questions and advice. All 123 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees and interview candidates.