Dillard's

Getting the Interview

183 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in July 2011.

Interview Details easy questions
low staff so easy hire

Interview Question – none
very common and stright forward
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation straight pay

Dock Worker Interview

Dock Worker
Tulsa, OK (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dillard's in February 2014.

Interview Details It was relatively simple, went in, filled out a computer based application. Was interviewed shortly after by a manager. Was invited back for a second interview and was hired after a brief week long background check.

Negotiation Details – None

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I interviewed at Dillard's in September 2013.

Interview Details My Mom worked there so I made sure to put that I have family working for the company. They called me a few days later and I had an interview with someone in HR and a few days later with one of the sales managers. Fairly interview, you just have to convince them you know how to talk to people and can potentially move some product.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in retail? (It was hard for me because I really didn't want to take the job)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me $11/hr with about 28 hours a week.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details I applied at Monster.com and got a call the next day. I had 2 interviews and was offered the job on the spot. I met the department manager of where they wanted me to work and all went fine. I was asked about why I enjoyed retail sales. He was most impressed by my desire to have good customer interaction as my main focus.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. The time I was there was more about him selling me on Dillard's than my having to sell myself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I hesitated at 11. an hour so he offered 12. hour immediately.

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dillard's in August 2010.

Interview Details Went well. No problems encounter during the interview.

Interview Question – All questions are related to the position I applied for.   Answer Question

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Cosmetic Counter Manager
Norman, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dillard's in February 2010.

Interview Details On line application, they will call you back if they are interested and then there is a one on one sit down interview. If you are hired you will be with a group of others that were hired on at the same time. You will go through a month of training. Then you will be placed on the floor to work.

Interview Question – Dealing with numbers of production and needing to reach a percentage goal how was I going to do that.   Answer Question

Gilbert, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details Submitted resume through Monster.com. They called me within two hours of submitting resume. They had me come to the store and fill out an application and take an online assessment in the store. Then I had an interview with the Operations Manager (Assistant Store Manager). She hired me after running background check.

Interview Question – Name three traits that describe yourself in the workplace. Name three traits that describe yourself at home.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They ran a background check (took about two business days) and hired me.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dillard's in May 2010.

Interview Details Came to college campus, asked about company history, where I would see myself in 5 years, and other basic interview questions. Then I went to the buying office for interviews with the President, DMM, etc

Interview Question – Store history   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Selling Business Manager Interview

Selling Business Manager
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dillard's in April 2011.

Interview Details They are so desperate for employees, if you dress nice and can speak in full sentences you are hired.

Interview Question – How soon can you come to work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Boise, ID (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details Fill out an application then take a computerized assessment test. This test; is my opinion; is useless. Got called for an interview with one of the Area Sales Managers, then passed on to interview with either the Assistant Store Manager or the Store Manager. After hiring, you go through three nights of training in a separate room with different area sales managers training on basic interactions with customer, dress code, harassment, and how to work the POS (point of sale) registers, and place orders for customers. Then you are put on the floor with a "buddy" for about a week in order to gain knowledge of your daily duties.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not have to negotiate, it was a flat rate of $9.50/hr offered with incentive for raises through sales.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dillard's