Dillard's Cosmetics Associate Interview Questions

2.2

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's (Memphis, TN (US)).

Interview

Craigslist ad--I responded, Cosmetics Manager emailed back, we scheduled an interview. She had a "flair for fashion" form she had to fill out on me. We talked about my clothes and "look." I answered standard interview questions regarding customer service and team spirit type questions. She asked about my availability. The interview ended. About two or three weeks later, I got a job offer from the actual assistant manager.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with $100.00 in our store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I just took what they offered, which was $13.00/hour.

Other Interview Reviews for Dillard's

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

no experience needed, interview is easy to pass as well as a background check

Interview Questions

• give a situation where you had to deal with an unhappy customer   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation given

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's (Fairview Heights, IL (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

I had THREE interviews with this company. They put me through 3 interviews and I've heard nothing back. After finding out that the store manager was a previous Petsmart district manager, I'm glad I didn't get a call back. But how dare they put someone through 3 interviews and not even attempt to hire.

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dillard's (Saint Louis, MO (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied from a Craigslist ad. I had previous experience and they made it clear they wanted me right away. There was a hiring freeze and a lot of the interviews were more to stall. I interviewed with a random ASM, ops manager, store manager, cosmetics manager, counter executive, and a corporate call.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was initially told higher but when it was finalized, they gave me lower than we had spoken about.

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's (Chandler, AZ (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

I was called by a former co-worker that had been promoted from my previous store location. I had since left the company with no intentions of returning. This Manager had been given a department with more problems than lipstick inventory. Being the smart cookie that she is, she had a very short list of people she wanted to help her fix her department. I was one of the party of 3, and the only one not currently working for the company at her pre-promoted location, so I got the first phone call. She laid out her challenges for me, which I was familiar with through the grapevine, and laid out her plan and my role. Then the dance began. She worked every angle she could think of to convince me to return to the company at the new location (which was one of the pros in the conversation). I wish I had a recording of it, because when push came to shove, we both knew what her trump card was going to be, and sure enough, she played it and won. She's a manager who knows her people, she appealed to my sense of loyalty and friendship. She asked me to do it for her, because she couldn't do it without me. How can you say "No" to that? You can't. After that, I had a 2 minute interview with another area sales manager that said " if you're good enough for her, you're good enough for me!", no questions asked, and then I met with the store manager for what was just a bull session for about an hour and we talked as if it was a done deal that I was onboard. After that, I went downstairs to check out this "problem" department. Seriously, I could already feel the hostility on my ankles as I was coming down the escalator radiating from the sales floor. What I saw was the last cosmetic department that I'd ever want to shop in with a sour puss, atop a rigid stature, regimentedly stationed at every cosmetic bay lined up the middle of the sales floor from the bottom of the escalators to the front of the store and all pusses were staring me down. You could cut the hostility with a knife. What did I get myself into?

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave Dillard's to begin with? Didn't you like that store? Didn't you like that store manager? Did you have a problem there?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't be afraid to walk out. At the time I accepted this position, I had my husband's voice yipping at me to be employed and I made a fatal error because of it. Even though I had more than 8 years with the company and had only been gone for a little less than a year, they did not put me in the system as a re-hire. According to management, that was not do-able anymore, everyone had to be new hires (after so many years, I have a tendency to not believe this to be true. I've seen so many "impossible" things done in the system here and there when they wanted it done, that I'm a bit jaded.) As a new hire I would have a review in three months as opposed to after one year. At my pay rate with no clientele at my new location, I was screwed and I knew it. However, I also knew that my manager promised me she'd keep an eye on it (when I voiced my concern about the new hire, she was concerned too) and make sure she had me wherever I needed to be to make my numbers. Barring any unforseen circumstances, everything should be fine....Ah ha! Unforseen circumstances! Surprise! Surprise!