Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated 7 Nov, 2014

2.1

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I applied online and was able to setup a date to interview. I show up at the hotel where the interview was taking place. I spoke with the hardline manager, then was asked to wait outside. I was later brought back in to speak with the store manager. I was hired right on the spot because they needed cashiers for their new store opening. I also dress and demonstrated maturity and professionalism.

Interview Questions
The store manager said that he can start me off at $8.00. I asked him if he can go higher. He shook his head and said no. I didn't pressure much because I really needed a job at the time. I later found out that other cashier got a start out pay at $8.50. I should have pressed harder. I recommend telling and reminding them how much experience you have.

Other Interview Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

It's pretty simple you apply online, have two interviews, and starry working. You have the first interview with the first person and it's about yourself, random questions, etc. the second interview they tell you about your pay which by the way you can somewhat negotiate, they ask you sports questions like what's your favorite and why, and then they let you know of your hired.

Interview Questions
    Just make it reasonable I honestly regret no going slightly higher because I could've done better but I was too scared to negotiate!

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in July 2014.

I had applied online and was called the next day to set up an interview time. I went in the next week for an interview and ended up being asked to come in for another interview later in the week. At that point I was offered a job and told when to come for an orientation day.

At the first interview he asked questions and then had me do an "Integrity Test". The test gave you statements and you answer "Strongly Agree"/"Strongly Disagree". The statements were largely about stealing, marijuana use and work ethic. He told me I had passed immediately after I finished.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever motivated someone? (At work or in personal life)   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a leader position?   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer. How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question
    • What is a cashier's most important job?   View Answer
    There really wasn't any negotiation. He said we're offering this much an hour, you'll probably get this many hours, and then moved right on to talking about the next thing.
    It may have been because I listed my desired starting pay on the resume anyway.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I applied online and received an email to set up an appointment for an interview within the next few weeks. The interview was fairly easy and comfortable but they do kind of judge based on whether or not you look at athletic.

Cashier Interview

Applied online, they called me a few weeks later asking if i had time for an interview. Went in the next week and the interview was very casual asking basic retail questions and experience. Was hired that day

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in April 2014.

I applied online for Apparel Sales Associate. They called the next day for an interview. When I got there they made me do a computer assessment. Then the interview... They asked me what sports I've played. I told him that I haven't really participated in sports, that I was just a fan. They asked random questions, that may or may not have been job related. But, the questions mostly had to do with sports. Which was expected, but for the position I applied for it seemed a little excessive. They said they were looking for someone to work cash register, for which I had no experience. He then told me he had other interviews and that he couldn't tell me if I had the job or not. That it depended on the qualifications of the other interviewees. I received a generic email a few days later,

"Thank you for your interest in possible employment with D. Sporting Goods. It was a pleasure talking with you and discussing opportunities with our company.

At this time, we are considering other candidates whose backgrounds and skills more closely match our needs. We will, however, retain your information. If an opportunity presents itself in the future,
    we may contact you at that time. Once again, thank you for your interest in D. Sporting Goods.

Sincerely,

D. Sporting Goods"

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2013.

Initially, they called me and left a message. I called back, and scheduled an interview for later in the week. Arrived 10 minutes early, and was taken to a meeting room with the front end/loss prevention manager. He asked three questions off the first sheet of questions, and skipped the second sheet and asked several on the third sheet. I have lots of retail experience, so the questions were mostly easy. Interview lasted 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • First question was about a difficult customer and what I did to resolve their issue. I chose a situation I had involving a customer in conflict with a previous employer's policy, and explained what I did to explain the policy and resolve the situation.   Answer Question
    What you put on the application is likely what you'll get as pay, as long as it's reasonable for your experience. I got $.25 more than what I asked for. Biggest negotiation is availability.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2013.

got a call about two days after i submit an application. went in to speak to the front end manager then store manager got basic questions about sports knowledge and if i was an athlete.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in July 2013.

I arrived at the store 10 minutes early. Began my interview with the first manager, did an "opinion" survey, then I interviewed with another manager (strangely he asked me the same questions the other manager did). After the interviews, I was told I'd get a call as soon as tomorrow. Sure enough I received a call the day after and was offered the position.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Applied online and was called about a week later for an interview. Take the time to dress nice and don't come in sports apparel. Arrived a little early for the interview and it went well. The questions were all pretty basic, nothing caught me off guard.