Dartmouth

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Hanover, NH (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dartmouth in January 2010.

Interview Details Easy interview, I came here and presented in front of lab group. They were cordial and nice throughout the process. I got a tour of the place and loved the greenery. The place is safe and great to raise a family. Very peaceful. Thus, I decided to come here. Only, then I realized this is an empty place for career growth.

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Hanover, NH (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview Details Phone screen followed by an afternoon of interviews including 2 group interviews

Interview Question – What will be your biggest challenge in this role?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview Details I directly apply it online and mail the application to them. I don't have interview for this school

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview Details I had been asked about details about my research experience such as how I did a specific experiment

Negotiation Details – no negotiation phase

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview Details Short Interview with the concerned professor.
Asked about knowledge and experience with the subject matter.

Interview Question – Did not remember a few specific things about certain parts of the subject so could not really answer them   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview Details Very complicated, intensive process overall. First a phone interview with HR Manager, then in-person interview with HR Manager, which included correcting a writing sample for them to "grade" later. I then had to have another interview with HR where I had thirty minutes to write a letter describing what I felt the position to entail, after a conversation with the HR Manager when I could ask questions, etc. Finally, there was marathon afternoon of interviews, after which I barely knew my name. I met with 7 different people over three hours. Some where group interviews and some where one-on-one. Some where intense firing squad questions, some were more laidback, casual conversations. I was pleased the organization takes so much time and effort to hire the right people, but it was not the right fit for me.

Interview Question – What would be most difficult about this position for you?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

I applied online and interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview Details It's almost the same thing to apply for graduate schools. You take GRE, Sub and write personal statement and apply.
No interview.
There's campus visit for us students. No such thing for international students, so you have to learn more about this place by yourself.

Interview Question – No interview.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

Interviewed at Dartmouth

Interview Details I had a single interview with a friend of Dartmouth... he found me much to unfocused at the time (I was 22) :)

Interview Question – What do you want to do with your life?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Hanover, NH (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dartmouth in January 2009.

Interview Details I had an unconventional interview process in that I had not originally applied for graduate school at Dartmouth, but happened to find myself talking to some of the professors. The encouraged me to apply, I was accepted, and that was that. Dartmouth is excellent in that it is a small enough school that individual professors and students can have a big impact on the department, and the upper management has a lot of faith in the professors. Typically, however, the application process consists of making contact with a professor and asking if the are accepting graduate students. This is a critical first step to applying to graduate school. Next, you fill out the online paperwork and send transcripts, etc. If they like you, they will offer you an interview. For the interview, you are flown to Hanover, where there is a recruitment weekend. The recruitment consists of giving a presentation in front of the department, seeing presentations by other applicants and professors (asking questions during these talks is an easy way to make yourself stand out). You will also meet with individual professors at some point. Basically it is a weekend to feel scrutinized, in competition with your peers, and stressed out in general. After that you go home, wait a few weeks and hope to hear from them.

Interview Question – how would you define yourself as a scientist?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no, there is no negotiating. come on, this is grad school.

LMS Specialist Interview

LMS Specialist
Hanover, NH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Dartmouth in January 2012.

Interview Details I originally applied online on October 5th. I received an email to schedule a phone interview in mid November. The phone interview was with a committee of 8 people. Four weeks after the phone interview I was emailed to schedule an in person interview/campus visit which took place in early January. The in person interviews began at 8:30am and went through dinner. They consisted of several panel interviews, a 1 on 1 with the hiring manager, and a 30 minute presentation followed by a 30 minute Q&A. Lunch and dinner were also with the search committee and the prospective department members. The week after my interviews they began a very comprehensive reference check, and required to speak with current and previous supervisor. I declined the current and was informed that my offer would be contingent on that conversation. The final step was a conversation with HR where they asked my current and desired salary, and confirmed details for my background check. I got an offer 16 days after my campus visit.

Interview Question – How do you keep up on current trends in your field (in the industry)?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – a combination of factors but mainly that I received a promotion in my current job and was offered the ability to work remotely, flexibility that would not have been possible at Dartmouth.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dartmouth

Worked for Dartmouth? Contribute to the Community!