Credit Suisse

Updated 25 Nov, 2014

2.9

Equity Research Associate - Mining Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse in April 2012.

The interview consisted of two different one-on-one meetings. The first one was with the analyst that was looking to hire. He asked me numerous questions related to finance, testing my knowledge of both valuation techniques as well as global markets. He then asked me to put myself in a number of different hypothetical workplace related situations ranging from dealing with internal colleagues to client relations. The second meeting was with the department head. He also tested my knowledge of finance but rather than asking questions with right and wrong answers, they were more of the 'see how he explains himself' variety and resulted in a more fluid debate/conversation rather than a rapid fire of questions. The whole process lasted about 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • How would you rate the relative importance of your relationship with the following 3 different types of clients? Rate them from most important to least important and tell me why: 1) the companies that you cover, 2) institutional investors, 3) the internal sales and trading desk.   View Answer

I was asked back for a second interview but while waiting to hear back, I had been offered a position at another firm which I was more interested in and had accepted. Note that I was not formally offered a position, only a second interview.

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Credit Suisse in February 2011.

First round I interviewed with a MD. One MD in the first round kept explaining to me why CS is better than RBC. Very personable. I interviewed with another MD in the final round. The interview was really short and I BSed a bunch of stuff. It was really fake that the MD could tell. Did not get the offer.

Accountant Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Credit Suisse in March 2009.

It was very technical. Excel questions, questions on fixed income derivatives, brain teasers. Behavioral questions on past experiences. How would I react in certain situations. Stress interviews. Interviewed in group of 2. Took out notebook computer and pencil and paper for me to answer questions. Very hard.

Interview Questions
    • Derive black-scholes equation using random walk assumption.   Answer Question

IT Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

I applied online, and was fast tracked to an assessment day because of an event I attended. There were 3 half hour interviews with people in different roles in the company, one business case study. Everyone was lovely and all of the questions they asked were related to my qualities and past experiences with teamwork etc. I was extremely nervous so I messed up the case study, but all the interviewers tried to keep at as conversational and relaxed as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Business case study, I didn't have enough knowledge on how to relate my technological thinking to the aspects of the banking industry.   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

campus recruiting, first round interview, super day

Recruiting officer was super helpful, and an amazing at her job! She truly cares about helping you get a position!

first round 1v1

final round 3 1v1

Interview Questions
    • difference between two different programming languages   View Answer

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

I had 13 interviews on 5 separate days for a VP-level job. Most interviewers were totally unprepared, had no idea who I was or why I was there. One Branch Manager said, "I don't know why we're even looking at someone for that position." Another CEO direct report said, "I have a tie over there on the hook but I didn't think you were important enough to put it on."

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

HR said interview is purely competency but one person tested alot of technicals for final round. Mostly textbook knowledge though, they really grill you for what youve done in the past. Small group of 4 interviewing, met nice candidates, and CS people are generally very nice and helpful.

Group Support Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

I first had a phone screening with the recruiter then a phone interview with the hiring manager. After a week, I was called to set up a formal interview with two VPs. The formal interview lasted only 30 minutes with one of the VPs. I was supposed to meet with two that day but I was told the 2nd was out for the day (maybe/maybe not).

Interview Questions
    • Basically tell about your yourself (skill set and experiences)   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

Received a phone call from HR to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview itself lasted about 15 minutes and was very relaxed. Was then contacted by HR to set up an in person interview. Interviewed with hiring manager and team leader. Both were very relaxed and it felt like a conversation rather than being grilled.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions about problem solving where they want specific examples. Most unexpected was probably "when was a time you had to work hard to achieve something you believed in."   View Answer
    They offer a standard starting salary to everyone and it was higher than I expected, so I did not try to negotiate.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

I got an interview through on-campus recruiting (target school). I was asked to do some mental math and brainteasers, which I breezed through. I was also asked some questions on my resume. It was a pretty standard interview for an S&T summer internship. Unfortunately, I did not get a superday.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but one problem was dividing a 9-digit number by another 9-digit number and guessing what the answer would be (to the nearest integer).   Answer Question